Humber Sceptre Estate Restoration Clips

maxustaxus

After far too many years the restoration of my Humber Sceptre Estate has begun.

I hope she is back on the road next year...after an absence of about 15 years.

But....trim clips worry me. I lose sleep thinking about them. I don't seem to have those I need.

I wondered if anyone knows a good supplier of general trim clip type stuff?

Here are some pictures, and to my shame this is not my work, but that of 'Dave'.

post-1252-0-16769500-1385293262_thumb.jpg

post-1252-0-81208500-1385293281_thumb.jpg

post-1252-0-92273700-1385293297_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Wow. Don't think I've ever seen a Sceptre in such a lively shade! Good luck with it.

Thanks, actually, I wish I had some pictures of the interior, because that is quite nice.

Tell us more! I'm assuming it's a late model?

Hi...yes it is one of the last with a Humber Badge. For 1975/76 Chrysler threw everything the had at the old arrow shape estates, and came up with the limited run of Humber Sceptre Estates/ About 1400 were made, of which I know of just a handful that are left, and less than this in road going condition.

Prior to 1975 there had been no arrow (MK3) shaped estates with the Humber badge. For this run they really did try to make it a luxuray car.

Carpeting throughout including the rear storage area.

Stainless steel trim evertwhere

Rear wash wipe

Hazzard warnings

Green tinted glass

Rear heated windows

Walnut cappings

Special roof rails

Wood effect on the outside posts

Electric aeriall!!!!

It was about as blinged up as the arrow could get in 1974 and remain plausible as a car! And she was the most expensive car of the range at the time.

I have had this one for 20 years. I bought it of its second owner (North London), and the 1st owner (a Mr Collins of Essex) wrote endless letter to Chrysler fussing about all sorts of things. I still have all these records with the car. She is extrememely original, and the interior is very nice and untouched. She has about 90K on the clock.

I drove it on and of for about 5 year, then rebuilt the engine and then left it in the garage around 1998, just running her up when I had a bit of time. I think she is even pre sorn.

Until last month. She went to the body shop for a full respray and work on the areas where corrosion has got to her simply because of the time that has paased. The chroming is in, the engine may just need fettling, and a few other bits need doing (like replacing the exhaust for a stainless 2 inch diameter one (if any one canrecommend an exhaust remanufacturer I would be very grateful).

You can imagine how thrilled I am to see things moving on so well with this car, after having waited so long.

This picture does not really do justice to the interior, but gives an idea of why you would give up on this car, if you had choice.

I will post an update when things have moved forward further.

post-1252-0-23045300-1385313208_thumb.jpg

Ah, I hadn't realised that the Sceptre estate came so late in the run. Thought it was a late Arrow from the shape of the front bumper. Looking forward to seeing more.

In the late 70's when I was in my teens, I had a car washing round in the village where I grew up. I used to regularly wash and hoover an immaculate P regd Sceptre saloon for a nice widowed lady. It was really satisfying to get a nice gloss shine on the wooden dash and door cappings with a can of pledge and a fresh duster!

• Like 1

Having seen this car for real, I can vouch for how gr9 it is. Really pleased to hear a resto is underway.

As Vulgs said, Bresco is the place to go for trim clips - they had pretty much everything I needed for my Sceptre.

Hi Wilko,

Thanks for the advice on the trim clip sources (and Vulgs, and Rusty Pelican and Tayne on the exhaust)..

That is a great help, I can get searching now.

I am really happy with the work so far on the restoration, hopefully this car will be at a show or two next year.

I will keep folks posted.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick picture of the progress......the top coat is on but needs more finishing/buffing, chrome roof rails back on. Engine bay, tailgate, bonnet and underside to do. But I am very happy with how she is shaping up (King Classics doing the job).

Still have not found the clips specific to the waste trim, though I checked Bresco, and they do have a big range, the ones closest, don't look close enough.

post-1252-0-45766400-1386434948_thumb.jpg

post-1252-0-69305800-1386434971_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...