1987 Ford Sierra Sapphire 1.8L - Completed it mate - see page 46

Peter C

9 minutes ago, lisbon_road said:

Impressed, this is just the sort of work most people don't do.  Glad you've enjoyed it - several cars here you can do - I will make tea gladly.

(Sorry)

I did enjoy transforming a dirty and rusty underside and making it clean and protected for years to come but it was hard work and I have no intentions to have another go any time soon. But thank you for the offer.

2 hours ago, Peter C said:

The Rust-Oleum spray stuff is really good and doesn't drip (much). I highly recommend it if you need to tidy up rusty metal.

Looking good. I need to tidy up some bits on my van (if I get it going) - which of their products did you use?

Did the manifold gasket seal @Peter C? I've had terrible trouble sealing my old shiters for some reason but the two gasket trick has worked for me. 

39 minutes ago, grogee said:

Did the manifold gasket seal @Peter C? I've had terrible trouble sealing my old shiters for some reason but the two gasket trick has worked for me. 

I started the engine yesterday afternoon and let it idle for about five minutes. I couldn’t hear or smell any escaped exhaust gases in the engine bay but that’s no guarantee of success. 

I will know for sure next time I drive the Sierra but that might not be for a while considering the horrendous weather forecast for next week.

On 06/07/2024 at 12:54, Peter C said:

IMG_9669.jpeg.ff6981e3bc7ea687d8a8dc22e8f5e509.jpeg

Thanks, but that's not easy to find. You got from your local shop?

1 hour ago, High Jetter said:

Thanks, but that's not easy to find. You got from your local shop?

Yep, a paint supplies shop in Maidenhead.

• Like 1

On 07/07/2024 at 13:35, Peter C said:

Well done that man. I’m missing that issue.

I’ve messaged the seller.

Seller is being a twat, took 48 hours to respond to my first message, still no news whether he is willing to post the mag.

I had a look on eBay, that issue is unavailable.

2 hours ago, Peter C said:

Seller is being a twat, took 48 hours to respond to my first message, still no news whether he is willing to post the mag.

I had a look on eBay, that issue is unavailable.

I have messaged him, I work in Washington. If he responds I could collect on my way home from work.

10 hours ago, DVee8 said:

I have messaged him, I work in Washington. If he responds I could collect on my way home from work.

That would be absolutely amazing, thank you.

On 03/07/2024 at 17:37, Peter C said:

Are Pinto exhaust manifolds known for cracking?

Dunno if they're known for it, but the manifold on my 2-litre Cortina was certainly cracked when I bought it.

Replaced it with a secondhand one (off a Capri, so extra Ford tax) and it was cracked too! But only noticeable once it was running hot. That was annoying.

Never did get the exhaust quite right on that thing, despite employing the services of professionals and replacing the entire system. A lot of paste was strategically employed, but I just kept bodging it as and when it started blowing.

It's fair to say my general approach was slightly* less professional than yours!

11 hours ago, Peter C said:

That would be absolutely amazing, thank you.

Radio silence from the seller, if I hear anything by Friday I'll give him a nudge. 

9 minutes ago, DVee8 said:

Radio silence from the seller, if I hear anything by Friday I'll give him a nudge. 

Yep, that’s been pretty much my experience too.

Do what you can please, I really want that mag!

19 minutes ago, Peter C said:

@DVee8

Have you told the seller that you are acting as my agent?

No, he's a seller of few words, just a thumbs up.

5 minutes ago, DVee8 said:

No, he's a seller of few words, just a thumbs up.

Next time you contact him, perhaps you could mention that you and me are best buds 

Weather looked dry, I took the Sierra to work today.

First appointment was in Gerrards Cross. An old boy spent tens of thousands of pounds extending his property, then dumped his Bentley in the garage, where it's gathering dust and looking very sorry for itself.

IMG_9827.JPG.416dbd24b76cf226467fc4a4a8f9fa6d.JPG

I parked the Sierra outside his house, in the sun. As this was around 9am, it wasn't particularly warm outside.

IMG_9829.JPG.e1dfce33eb75875b10ffe77bfb21de20.JPG

When I got back into the Sierra, the inside of the windscreen was steamed up.

IMG_9828.JPG.50385eaf3f76e97ce6ffbddfc0df3687.JPG

The Sierra hasn't seen water since I washed it on the 30th January and inside the carpets and seats are dry. Whist the Sierra is parked under the carport, I leave the windows slightly ajar, to allow heat to escape during the day. I suspect that moist air got inside the car over the past few days and caused the condensation when the interior heated up in the sun. Nothing to worry about. 

Next was a 25 miles trip down to Earley (Reading). Parked outside my client's office.

IMG_9842.jpg.6ac0cefa4c1c92d18f572449fd6d859d.jpg

As there was no VIP or Ford Sierra Parking Only bays, I had to leave it here.

IMG_9831.JPG.6dbe1a3e0a5dbaf30855e4064e0cbbf0.JPG

Once inside, I bumped into a strange fella, my client's client, who saw the Sierra parked outside and proceeded to tell me that he hasn't missed an episode of Bangers & Cash and that my Sierra is worth £30k-£40k. I told him that he can have it for £20k but we didn't strike a deal.

Another uneventful 25 miles later, I was back home.

I am still getting a slight exhaust fumes whiff in the cabin, through the dashboard vents, whenever I come to a standstill. The smell must relate to exhaust gases as the crankcase ventilation system comprises of one short hose, which extends from the engine block to the bottom of the inlet manifold and there is nothing wrong with it. I can't hear, see or feel any blowing from the exhaust manifold or the downpipe and the joint that I sealed up last week is holding up ok. I will investigate further but I'm running out of ideas. 

• Peter C changed the title to 1987 Ford Sierra Sapphire 1.8L - Bonus Bentley content - see page 40

I'm not sure exactly what it is I love about this thread, but I'm really enjoying it.

Probably a combination of seeing a fairly ordinary family car being reborn and cherished; the fact that I had one of these as my 2nd car in the very late 90's and they were everywhere, my parents had one, my mates parents had one etc, or that I grew up in High Wycombe and this one is living on the same streets where I used to thrape mine* around.

*Complete with holes you could fit your fist through at the top of the door skin (just below the window)!

On 11/07/2024 at 15:23, Peter C said:

I am still getting a slight exhaust fumes whiff in the cabin, through the dashboard vents, whenever I come to a standstill. The smell must relate to exhaust gases as the crankcase ventilation system comprises of one short hose, which extends from the engine block to the bottom of the inlet manifold and there is nothing wrong with it. I can't hear, see or feel any blowing from the exhaust manifold or the downpipe and the joint that I sealed up last week is holding up ok. I will investigate further but I'm running out of ideas. 

errr........spark plugs well seated and sealed? Proper straw clutching, I know.

Seal on the oil filler cap good?

Guess the best solution would be to get hold of a smoke machine and pressurise the exhaust to see if you can spot any leaks that way.

50 minutes ago, mercedade said:

errr........spark plugs well seated and sealed? 

Some time ago I removed the spark plugs, cleaned and reinstated them, nice and tight.

31 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Seal on the oil filler cap good?

Guess the best solution would be to get hold of a smoke machine and pressurise the exhaust to see if you can spot any leaks that way.

The filler cap is on very tightly. I need to be wearing a rigger's glove to remove it. Definitely no blow-by here.

Noted about the smoke machine. Thing is, it would have to be a proper, high pressure bit of kit, not a DIY solution. When I Googled for a smoke tester machine, the cheapest I found was £135. I'm not paying that much, I'd rather be poisoned by carbon monoxide fumes.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, cobblers said:

I'd put eight puund on the heater matrix starting to leak. Engine smells and steamy windscreen etc. 

I doubt it.

I’ve had cars with leaking heater matrixes and I know how the interior would smell if coolant was leaking out. The Sierra definitely doesn’t smell inside.

The smell that I’m getting is more like exhaust gases or crankcase fumes.

That or just some seal on the rear end of the car (like cabin vent) as it's only when stand still and there's no obvious tick tick noise?