Stars in Shite

Hertz

10 hours ago, uk_senator said:

He did a series about driving in the late 80`s/early 90`s, primarily about safety & driver behaviour (as did Rowan Atkinson). I have them all on VHS somewhere, & Alexi had a lovely P5b.. I wonder if he still has it stashed away somewhere..

I remember that and I had looked for a picture of him with it, couldn't find one, but found the 75 which I didn't know about!

I just had a look again and still couldn't find one, but found this...

Alex.thumb.jpg.4eec6c9349d6333075f48cf5196d23bf.jpg

• Like 7

bacf13101c9e89ebf39265de635de4b5.jpg

Larry Hagman in his JR (TV pantomime baddie) character - just found out he entered the Dead Pool in 2012 which kind of surprised me as he was ages with my mum. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, uk_senator said:

He did a series about driving in the late 80`s/early 90`s, primarily about safety & driver behaviour (as did Rowan Atkinson). I have them all on VHS somewhere, & Alexi had a lovely P5b.. I wonder if he still has it stashed away somewhere..

He also solved the mystery of the French Underpass incident.

About a 30 minute read.

Alexei Sayle: Barcelona Plates - Short Story (barcelonareview.com)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, FakeConcern said:

I remember that and I had looked for a picture of him with it, couldn't find one, but found the 75 which I didn't know about!

The 75 was a car used in a feature in CAR magazine back in 1999. He compares the 75 with his P5B in the article.

Alexei Sayle drives a Rover 75 (CAR archive, Nov 1999) | CAR Magazine

• Like 2

On 8/27/2023 at 11:57 PM, morrisoxide said:

Yes he also had B311END.

So here's a thing. Back in the early 90s, I worked in the entertainment industry in management.
Used to work a bit with him, Chubby Brown and Jim Davidson, other comedians known for their racist diatribe.

Manning was weird. Off stage, he was one of the nicest blokes around. Owned and ran the Embassy Club in Manchester, where he was very popular with his staff and the like apparently. Would ensure everyone he was working with had a beer and used to insist on meeting all the junior folk in my team, because he used to say that they were the people doing the actual work. I never saw him personally with a drink in his hand or had an arsey manager hanging off him asking for stupid demands. Always very respectful and never heard a rude word out of his mouth (except when he was on stage). Never hung around after his act, because he had to get back to put his Mum to bed (He was her carer for many years).

The other two were absolute arseholes who I wouldn't piss on if they were on fire. Both arrogant who would treat people like shit unless they could get something out of them.

Weird innit. His timing as a comedian was in my opinion the best I'd ever seen. The problem was, in the 70s and 80s, to make it, you were expected to be a racist with a potty mouth. Even Bob Monkhouse's stage act was like that, but most people will remember him as being a clean comic on TV, Royal Variety etc.
Manning said he hated TV because they always wanted him to travel to London and then he couldn't look after his Mum.

18 minutes ago, TheOtherStu said:

Even Bob Monkhouse's stage act was like that, but most people will remember him as being a clean comic on TV, Royal Variety etc.

I went to Christmas 'do' around 1990 someplace near Camberley and Bob M. was the host/main act. His intro was close to the grain but his main act after the meal was actually a bit OTT, so much so that some of our party got up and left. That was a bold statement given that we'd all come down on a bus from Staines.

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, EyesWeldedShut said:

I went to Christmas 'do' around 1990 someplace near Camberley and Bob M. was the host/main act. His intro was close to the grain but his main act after the meal was actually a bit OTT, so much so that some of our party got up and left. That was a bold statement given that we'd all come down on a bus from Staines.

Yup. We had a whole weekend based around him and many of our oldiewonks didn't make it to the end. This was in Blackpool 🤣

Yes people forget that the manning you saw on stage was a character nothing like the real person.

Supplied classic cars on & off for film/TV work & most are just people like us ( always a few that believe their own hype ) know someone who was chatting at a record stall some years ago to the guy next to him at the hemsby weekend for several minutes about music/bands etc before he realised it was jools Holland  .

On the set of history boys was told Richard Griffith's had a great sense of humour by a mate who was there.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, TheOtherStu said:

So here's a thing. Back in the early 90s, I worked in the entertainment industry in management.
Used to work a bit with him, Chubby Brown and Jim Davidson, other comedians known for their racist diatribe.

Manning was weird. Off stage, he was one of the nicest blokes around. Owned and ran the Embassy Club in Manchester, where he was very popular with his staff and the like apparently. Would ensure everyone he was working with had a beer and used to insist on meeting all the junior folk in my team, because he used to say that they were the people doing the actual work. I never saw him personally with a drink in his hand or had an arsey manager hanging off him asking for stupid demands. Always very respectful and never heard a rude word out of his mouth (except when he was on stage). Never hung around after his act, because he had to get back to put his Mum to bed (He was her carer for many years).

The other two were absolute arseholes who I wouldn't piss on if they were on fire. Both arrogant who would treat people like shit unless they could get something out of them.

Weird innit. His timing as a comedian was in my opinion the best I'd ever seen. The problem was, in the 70s and 80s, to make it, you were expected to be a racist with a potty mouth. Even Bob Monkhouse's stage act was like that, but most people will remember him as being a clean comic on TV, Royal Variety etc.
Manning said he hated TV because they always wanted him to travel to London and then he couldn't look after his Mum.

He was one of my clients and I can only echo the above post.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, TheOtherStu said:

Interesting I know some people who like him and some who hate him probably a generation thing.

To be fair I don't know much about him, other than a few jokes and the Mrs Merton show which was set up to paint him in a certain light. Like you say if he hated TV it probably wasn't a good idea from the start, and going to London would put anyone in a bad mood. ;)

Good taste in cars though.

main-qimg-bd59d6b2ba64e47c6e517db60975b688-lq