Grogee's spannering (Maestro , Corsa & Avensis). COMPROMISED CORSA COOLANT

grogee

3 hours ago, grogee said:

Addendum: I think I mentioned I dropped one of the torque converter to flexplate bolts into the bellhousing.

As I reluctantly decided to start Plan B, I realised that there was no way the car was moving without retrieving that bolt. 

LUCKILY someone at BMW was having a good day when they designed the bellhousing. After half an hour of poking magnets down the inspection hole, I realised there were two tiny access holes on the bottom. I managed to jimmy the bolt along to one of these holes then wriggle it free. It only just came out which makes me think that's what the holes were there for!

image.png.581e05698aeab74211dd8b74d7afbf87.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Noel Tidybeard said:

she is in no position to talk- she likes a corsa!🙄

She has softened to the Stro a little but it's largely irrelevant during the winter months with salty roads. And I'll defend the Corsa in that it's pleasant to drive and is returning 70mpg despite lead-foot wife driving it. 

Actually there's a small update in that the ported and polished head is ready, I just* need to collect it, lap the valves then fit the damn thing. 

According to the porting place,my o-series head already had hardened exhaust valve seats and thus can run happily on unleaded (98) without redex. Which is interesting because the current set of exhaust valves in the current head are quite badly pitted. 

Minor update, did a bit more to the BMW this evening. Well not a lot really, just refitted a couple of heat shields, but I can't really do anything until the fecking seal kit arrives. 

I ordered on the basis it was advertised as 'FREE 3 DAY DELIVERY' but the reality turns out it's fucking Yodel and all they've done so far is print a label. Cunts. Expected Tuesday. 

Luckily my mate with the garage is very laid back and doesn't seem to mind. 

Not wishing to make a bad impression I cleared up the ATF spills I made at the weekend. Screenshot_20231205_193652_eBay.thumb.jpg.53142879155ba3724a2366feffb15e58.jpg

Another no-pics update as I was up against the (bedtime) clock putting the BMW back together Mon and Tues night. 

The seals arrived "early" (four days after promise) and as I'm keen to get out of my mate's garage. I've given him a bottle of Laphroaig for his trouble but that's still mega cheap for garage rental. 

Putting the seals in is pretty easy, they just pop out of their homes, and the old ones did feel much harder and less supple than the new ones. 

I suspect this is a job people don't do simply because it involves removing the mechatronics unit which sounds scary. In reality it's about 12 bolts which have to be undone/done up in a certain order (like a cylinder head) and maybe a second pair of hands to take the weight while you screw a couple of bolts to stop it falling on your head. 

Once that was done it was a case of replacing everything. I got creative with a stepladder to support the rear mount of gearbox to reattach it to the body. 

Then filled the box with fresh Mannol juice, the real deal for 6HPxx gearboxes. Surprisingly it swallowed nearly 10 litres, meaning most of the original fluid (itself not very old) must have drained out during the extended period on the lift. 

Having bought two cheap electric pumps, both of which are shit and broken, I found a £10 hand pump at Screwfix. What a revalation - easy to use and relatively mess-free. Recommended. It does have a 'thin' tube for dipstick tube use to drain a sump, but I'll probably stick with the good old 'drain plug' method for now. 

The fill method is a bit of a pain - fill to level, then start and run 30 sec, then top up again, then run and put in all gears for 30 secs each twice, then leave engine running and refill to level with the oil at a certain temp. Bit of a ballache. 

As is reconnecting the battery with the tailgate out of action (electric latch). Climbed through from the back seat, not sure what you'd do if it was a saloon with no folding seats! 

Screenshot_20231213_191302_Screwfix.jpg

I've got the bmw back, @Cluffy drove me round to collect. Initially I thought the problem was still there - torque converter lockup switching in and out so revs fluctuate when cruising about 1/3rd throttle medium speed/medium load. 

However... After about 10 miles (presumably long enough for fluid to warm up) the lockup behaved impeccably and there's no more 'flutter' when driving. Great success! 

It's better than it ever has been, which is great. What I don't know is whether the 'flutter' will reappear every time during the warmup period or if it's gone for good. 

I managed to unload all my tools into their correct homes in my garage which has lowered my blood pressure a little. I hate it when they're out of place. 

Tomorrow will be reassembling the tailgate. I have a new 'window' latch to try - the 5er Touring has a two-piece tailgate but my smaller window bit doesn't open. Then fit the new Ali Express centre rear light. MoT is booked for Wednesday. I might even clean it before then. 

Saying that, Mrs Grogee has me on exterior Christmas lights duty over the weekend which I really CBA with. Our neighbours have gone pretty mad with theirs so I'm not sure anyone will even notice. 

20231214_192001.jpg

20231214_192009.jpg

• grogee changed the title to Grogee's spannering (Puma, Maestro, 5er & Corsa). 525i BACK ON TERRA FIRMA

Brake light ASSEMBLED. Ali Express sweatshop workers were having a good day when they made my light, as it works. 

I also replaced the opening window latch thing in the hope it might fix the non-opening but no dice. Ah well I never used it anyway. 

20231215_112820.jpg

The non-opening tailgate glass is probably a fault with the flexible sections of loom between the glass/tailgate/body if the switch replacement hasn't fixed it. Not a horrific repair if you don't mind wires.

20 minutes ago, Tepper said:

The non-opening tailgate glass is probably a fault with the flexible sections of loom between the glass/tailgate/body if the switch replacement hasn't fixed it. Not a horrific repair if you don't mind wires.

Yeah I figured that, TADTS. I'm actually suspecting the switch because there's no 'click' when you press the little button by the wiper. I'd expect a little microswitch to be in there but I think it's dead. 

Either way I've gone as far as I want and the tailgate 'whole' is fine so meh, fuck it. 

Isn't it weird how things happen sometimes? 

Today we got our monthly visit from our cleaner. 

Before you go all 'hark at Lord Snooty', hear me out: Mrs Grogee and I hate it, and neither of us bother so the house gets grubbier until it's pretty rank. "Carly" is £40 and does the house top to bottom. Money well spent IMO. 

Anyway, she mentioned that she'd bought a new (used) camper van and could I check it over? She said she'd pay me but I suggested we swap our 'time' instead so 1hr of her cleaning = 1hr of me tinkering. 

Eventually it transpires that the van in question is a Nissan Vanette. My ears prick up at this point, knowing that I haven't seen one of those for probably 20 years! 

Sure enough it didn't take me long to find the listing on ebay. I'm really looking forward to having a closer look, this sort of shite is right up my street. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/355139537402

Screenshot_20231222_185811_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20231222_185857_eBay.jpg

• grogee changed the title to Grogee's spannering (Puma, Maestro, 5er & Corsa). UNEXPECTED SHITEM IN THE SOUTHAM AREA
4 hours ago, grogee said:

Isn't it weird how things happen sometimes? 

Today we got our monthly visit from our cleaner. 

Before you go all 'hark at Lord Snooty', hear me out: Mrs Grogee and I hate it, and neither of us bother so the house gets grubbier until it's pretty rank. "Carly" is £40 and does the house top to bottom. Money well spent IMO. 

Anyway, she mentioned that she'd bought a new (used) camper van and could I check it over? She said she'd pay me but I suggested we swap our 'time' instead so 1hr of her cleaning = 1hr of me tinkering. 

Eventually it transpires that the van in question is a Nissan Vanette. My ears prick up at this point, knowing that I haven't seen one of those for probably 20 years! 

Sure enough it didn't take me long to find the listing on ebay. I'm really looking forward to having a closer look, this sort of shite is right up my street. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/355139537402

Screenshot_20231222_185811_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20231222_185857_eBay.jpg

That would take many hours to check out thoroughly :)

• 2 weeks later...

The 5er has departed, after completing the MoT pass I decided to punt it on and find something diesel and more boring to be the Family Hack. Watch this space...

In other news I went to collect the Maestro cylinder head from the porting place, it's been ready for some time but I've been procrastinating fitting it. Mainly because I don't want to be tempted to drive the Maestro in filthy January weather. 

So this head was actually my birthday present last July; I did try to fit it but hit a snag with the camshaft - I think it's documented on previous pages. Anyway the solution was to grind the crank down so the standard seal would fit, which has now been done. Also the head got a skim - even though it was NOS, it apparently wasn't flat - I don't know how much we're talking though. And it has been gently ported for better FLOW and BHPs - it will be interesting to compare to the standard head which I'll be removing.

It's supplied as machined so there is still swarf everywhere. I still need to lap the valves in so after I've done that it'll get a bath in brake cleaner and a blow-dry with the airline.

Then I've got all the fun of checking the valve clearances.

The Maestro will also be getting a front brake overhaul. I've a feeling one of the calipers is a bit sticky as I noticed one wheel warmer than the other a while back, and this is despite me cleaning out the sliders and so on. They are ancient after all so no surprise if they're getting tired. Bigg Red refurb kit plus some new hoses for good measure, all in I think it's set me back about £50 which isn't bad really.

20240104_134642.jpg

20240104_134646.jpg

20240104_134707.jpg

brake hoses.png

caliper refurb.png

• Like 11

• grogee changed the title to Grogee's spannering (Puma, Maestro & Corsa). I GIVE MYSELF HEAD

This weekend turned out to be surprisingly not full of stupid engagements or jobs that needed doing. The only pressing household job was to put the Xmas decorations back in the loft. Got this out of the way first thing, leaving time to service the Avensis. 

Many of you will be thinking it's not the weather to be writhing about on the drive but it was actually quite pleasant, sunny and dry. Fine lying on a flattened cardboard box. 

Armed with the service parts kindly donated to me by @Skcat as part of the Avensis sale, I set about draining the oil. But not before a warm up followed by an Italian full throttle rev-out as recommended by @Pat Earrings. No major clag could be seen via the rear view mirror, but it's probably cleared its lungs.

Being under the car was a good opportunity to inspect the underside and this car seems to have fared well (unlike its lacquer). Things look pretty sound overall with some beginnings of crustiness that will need attention when I can be arsed. 

Found an invoice for new front suspension arms and ball joints which are clearly pretty new. 

I don't have the correct Toyota oil filter tool and my nylon strap thing wouldn't shift it, so I risked a gentle tap on the 'ears' with a drift and sure enough it came away. Not recommended as it's an aluminium casting but I got away with it. 

It was only after I'd made a mess of the housing that I learned Toyota gives you a convenient drain 'spout' as part of the oil filter kit. No harm done though and now I know for next time. 

I changed the fuel filter as well, a little bit of a fiddle due to its location but once the air filter box was out it was OK. Used my vacuum tool to pull through fresh fuel although I'm not sure that was strictly necessary. God knows why it needs four inlets/outlets. 

Had a look at the cabin filter which was OK, it'll be fine for another year I reckon. Nice to see Toyota part numbers on the consumables, too. 

The bit I'm stuck on is where is the temp probe connection to the DPF? I'd like to squirt a shot of cleaner in there but I searched all over the thing and couldn't see any probes or sensors anywhere. Bit weird seeing as the 2.0 has one at the top of the DPF (mine's a 2.2). Any ideas @RoverFolkUs @twosmoke300

All I can think is that any sensing is done via the EGR system which is connected to it. 

It's also got a slightly high idle, about 1200rpm, but weirdly seems worse when warm. I'm wondering if it's the throttle pedal sensor. 

20240107_134231.jpg

20240107_134627.jpg

20240107_102621.jpg

20240107_102318.jpg

20240107_102400.jpg

20240107_102236.jpg

• Like 3

• grogee changed the title to Grogee's spannering (Puma, Maestro & Corsa). AVENSIS BOTTOM INSPECTION
11 minutes ago, grogee said:

The bit I'm stuck on is where is the temp probe connection to the DPF? I'd like to squirt a shot of cleaner in there but I searched all over the thing and couldn't see any probes or sensors anywhere. Bit weird seeing as the 2.0 has one at the top of the DPF (mine's a 2.2). Any ideas @RoverFolkUs @twosmoke300

I *think* it hasn't actually got one for the following reasons

- you can't see any probes or pressure pipes, indicating it's just a conventional diesel oxidation cat

- it's a 2008 and Euro 4. It was less common to have a DPF fitted, than for there to be one fitted.

- It's branded as D4D rather than D4D CAT. The former usually denotes no DPF, and D-CAT is their branding for their Euro 4 diesel fitted with a DPF

- I believe the 150 is D4D, the 180 is DCAT. So there are two variants of the 2.2 and you have the detuned sans-DPF one

1 minute ago, RoverFolkUs said:

I *think* it hasn't actually got one for the following reasons

- you can't see any probes or pressure pipes, indicating it's just a conventional diesel oxidation cat

- it's a 2008 and Euro 4. It was less common to have a DPF fitted, than for there to be one fitted.

- It's branded as D4D rather than D4D CAT. The former usually denotes no DPF, and D-CAT is their branding for their Euro 4 diesel fitted with a DPF

- I believe the 150 is D4D, the 180 is DCAT. So there are two variants of the 2.2 and you have the detuned sans-DPF one

Well that is terrific news. So the cylinder shaped things on the exhaust system I'm seeing are "just" catalysts and silencers? 

Yeah mine is the 150ps 2.2 as opposed to the 180ps, although I'm tempted to remap it for more oomph. Not that it feels slow, just because I can really. 

20240107_102400.jpg

20240107_134627.jpg

20240107_134231.jpg

2 minutes ago, grogee said:

Well that is terrific news. So the cylinder shaped things on the exhaust system I'm seeing are "just" catalysts and silencers? 

Yeah mine is the 150ps 2.2 as opposed to the 180ps, although I'm tempted to remap it for more oomph. Not that it feels slow, just because I can really. 

20240107_102400.jpg

20240107_134627.jpg

20240107_134231.jpg

Yep, I would say so. 

As far as I am aware, there's no DPF system that can work without temperature and pressure monitoring. So if there are no pressure pipes then it must just be a couple of cats 

At the weekend when I was under the Avensis, Mrs Grogee pulled up and I heard her Corsa making a really rough engine sound. 

To be honest it's been doing it for a while but I've been in denial expecting it to be the dreaded 1.3 CDTI timing chain issue. 

Anyway I decided to visit our local friendly mechanic so he could have a listen and give a prognosis. 

Fortunately he pronounced the timing chain to be ok, and in his opinion the rough noise was coming from the aux belt flapping about. 

Apparently it's common, the freewheeling alternator pulley degrades, no longer freewheels then that causes a nasty belt resonance. 

When he said it I was reminded of my Mk3 Mondeo - that also had an aux belt issue, I think it was tensioner and/or bottom pulley rubber failure. That sounded terrible too but it wasn't very serious despite the racket. 

Anyway, bits ordered and I'll get on it when they arrive. 

Screenshot_20240110_070510_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20240110_070531_eBay.jpg

• Like 5

I've just been to inspect the Avensis turbo actuator (vacuum driven bit that operates the VGT function) and have discovered that I think it's inop. 

Firstly I tried moving the actuator arm with my hands, it's not shifting. Then attached my vacuum tool to pull on the diaphragm - still not moving even with the max vac I can apply. Then I gently levered the arm with an appropriate* tool and it still wouldn't budge. 

My understanding from the info on diagram below is that a vacuum is commanded at low revs to 'open' the VGT blades and create more turbulence and/or gas speed to improve low engine speed boost. Then at higher revs, the vacuum is off, and the blades are closed to maximise high engine speed boost. 

I surmise that if this feature isn't working, the VGT is stuck in the 'high engine speed' position and that would correlate with the slightly lazy performance/response I'm experiencing. 

@RoverFolkUs @twosmoke300 have you come across a stuck actuator before? If so how should I free it?

- Needs a new turbo m8

- WD40, wiggling, push pull swear

- Other

Of course it's at the back of the engine bay in a not very convenient position. 

Screenshot_20240111_112906_Chrome.jpg

20240111_111447.jpg

20240111_111510.jpg

• Like 2

• grogee changed the title to Grogee's spannering (Puma, Maestro & Corsa). AVENSIS TURBO TECHNICS

After giving me jib for three days, the clouds parted and my kidney stones have arranged themselves into a non-painful configuration. I slept soundly and woke up happy and smiling at the lack of pain. 

So much so that I decided to tackle Mrs Grogee's Corsa alternator pulley. It might be only 4°C on the thermometer but it feels nice outside, the sun shines onto our drive so I didn't feel cold. 

Opel had clearly given this job some thought. I know from my JLR days that an alternator swap receives a fair amount of attention when designing a new model because it's a significant proportion of warranty spend. So it was nice to see somebody did their job and make sure everything is accessible. 

However... I got as far as getting the alternator on the bench and I whizzed off the old pulley, an impact is near essential for this job I'd say. 

Then I went to screw the new pulley on, but the thread bound up and it wouldn't go on. It was hard to properly identify the thread as it's quite inset so I'm not 100% certain it's incorrect. But I'm not going to go full gorilla and chew up the thread on my alternator. 

So back it all went, luckily not a hard job and next time I'll have the belt ready to go on as I know which one to get now. Bit of a pain in the arse having to do it twice, but next time will be twice as quick as I know where everything is now. 

20240113_120058.jpg

20240113_120117.jpg

20240113_130721.jpg

20240113_130736.jpg

• Like 4

• grogee changed the title to Grogee's spannering (Puma, Maestro & Corsa). CORSA WRONG PARTS PARTY
15 minutes ago, Noel Tidybeard said:

*cough* avensisisis? *cough*

Mange tout Rodders, mange tout. Works on that will commence after SWMBO is out of the workshop drive. 

I'm contemplating pulling the cat off the turbo and squirting in Mr Muscle. It's supposed to clear out the carbon to free up the VGT vanes. 

Just now, Noel Tidybeard said:

yes but what toyoyo? you have an bwm & puma

Keep up at the back! I sold the bmw to A Normal then bought the red Avensis on here. Maestro and Puma still hibernating for the winter. 

20240106_150347.jpg

1 hour ago, grogee said:

Mange tout Rodders, mange tout. Works on that will commence after SWMBO is out of the workshop drive. 

I'm contemplating pulling the cat off the turbo and squirting in Mr Muscle. It's supposed to clear out the carbon to free up the VGT vanes. 

If it's a garrett VNT, and you could get it on a bench, I could probably disassemble and reassemble the vane sub assy in about 4 mins with my eyes closed.  Cleaning it with Mr muscle should work.  It's only baked on carbon probably  

15 minutes ago, New POD said:

If it's a garrett VNT, and you could get it on a bench, I could probably disassemble and reassemble the vane sub assy in about 4 mins with my eyes closed.  Cleaning it with Mr muscle should work.  It's only baked on carbon probably  

Think it's an INI, although that might be a clone. 

The nuts holding it on I'm expecting to be tighter than a Tory budget. 

the vanes on the 2.2 nissan YD would carbon up but the turbot could overspeed and eat itself

it was possible to move the actuator rod with pliers and break the carbon up

26 minutes ago, Noel Tidybeard said:

the vanes on the 2.2 nissan YD would carbon up but the turbot could overspeed and eat itself

it was possible to move the actuator rod with pliers and break the carbon up

That may be possible too but I need to do some disassembly to get some sort of tool on there to apply enough force