Modified Mk1 Fiesta

Peter C

Guest Austin-Towers

I love those old Fiesta's. The car the Metro DIDN'T WANT to be, but WAS!!! However, the engine mounts were SHITE. Well, they were on a few chums examples.....

I've got something in me that prevents me from changing anything on any car other than stock standard level, I want to bigger wheels on the car, but I just can't! I've been through the 'modifying' stage. I would've kept that Fiesta as it was.

I like to tweak using genuine factory bits, even if they weren't available on that particular model or trim level. To me, a standard base spec Fiesta is a miserable thing to drive, not that nippy, they handle pretty well but it's an absolute piece of piss to make them ride and handle a lot better. With the black Fiesta I fitted XR2 shocks, Supersport springs, XR2 brakes, Ghia soundproofing, XR2 interior, Supersport anti roll bars front and rear and a few other bits and it rode and handled a lot better than a standard one, which made it enjoyable even though it was still dog slow. With the XR2 trim and the tinted windows it no longer felt like I was driving a nasty little base model Fiesta.For me, if a mod makes a car nicer to live with on a day to day basis, it's worth doing. With a Mk1 Fiesta there's a lot you can do to make them nicer, so that's what I did.Same with my Mk2 Golf GTi. Head gasket popped so I fitted the 2.0 AGG bottom end from a Mk3 GTi with the Mk2 Digipants head. Car was faster, torquier, smoother, and better on fuel. Win-Win.Last year my mates missus was going to scrap her T plate Punto because it had been through a load of head gaskets and didn't have power steering (she's got a knackered wrist). She bought a Punto automatic which had a knackered body and gearbox for £100 and we transplanted the engine, radiator, pas, front struts, 14" wheels, brakes and anti-roll bar to hers. It's been fine since and it handles bloody well with the beefier bits from the auto on. She's happy because she can keep it for another few years and it's a lot lighter to drive, all the bits are genuine Fiat bits and most of them would have been fitted to hers if it had been built with PAS, but she's got slightly better handling because the auto has one hefty front anti-roll bar. She's also got a spare exhaust, cat, electric window motors, central locking solenoids, glass, coil packs, and a full set of spare lights into the bargain. The £40 she got for the scrap shell and engine was a bonus.

I joined the mk1 forum yesterday and was looking at your car Hugh,Has it been sprayed ?Or is it my eyes ?but the front wing looks a little different colour Nice car tho' :)How easy is it to convery the front lights to round ?and what parts are required ?(Just wondering as i have always prefered the round lights)

Happy memories! Mk! Festers!I can remember when these were as popular as Saxo's/Xbox360's/Chlamydia/asbo's are with teenagers today.Are these being bought by thirtysomethings to relive their youth? Or do they still have a following with the younger generation?

Well its had 2 new wings which are still in primer :cry: im skint . :lol: The colour is pastel grey so its not far off primer colour !It was a one oap owner from new car when i got it last june.As for the xr2 head lights, you'll need an xr2 bumper for the indicators,plus you have to cut a bit of the front panel for the light bezels to fit..its not to hard to do though.

Happy memories! Mk! Festers!I can remember when these were as popular as Saxo's/Xbox360's/Chlamydia/asbo's are with teenagers today.Are these being bought by thirtysomethings to relive their youth? Or do they still have a following with the younger generation?

Bought mine on a whim really, as i've got a mk2 van also. This came up very cheap so i had to have it :lol: If you over on xrtwo.com...these are very popular "wiv da yoof of today" too ! :lol: Plus my 1st car was a mk1 1300s....i couldnt resist !! :oops:

Just to ruin my day even more....What would a 1300 Bravo I scrapped a few years ago be worth today? It was really tidy and used to belong to a Ford mechanic who used the "Free Argos" parts facility at work and therefore it ran like new and would happily run off the 100mph speedo by a big margin.Happy days! (sigh)

What are parts like to get for them ?

(Wings, glass, boots, bonnet, doors, mirrors and so on ?)

I put mirrors in bold as someone i know needs new mirrors for their mk1 fiesta

Depends on exactly what you're after. I tend to import my old Ford bits from this place in Germany, but if you're buying enough stuff the postage isn't bad at all.

Just remember that prices are in € and don't include shipping.

For example, a brand new n/s mirror is €53.07 before shipping.