N19's fleet - very slow Capri progress

N19

Mondeo tow socket wired in and tested.

image.png.22a2896bdc7963cc45212c2c985fa4b5.png

(rat's nest included a couple of temporary links whilst I checked things worked how they should - everything now neatly-ish crimped together and heatshrunk where appropriate).

Working on some of the Capri's interior plastics. This is the rear wiper motor cover, in good condition compared to a lot of them.

image.png.25fa11dc26aeed3a40b58cc8f49b1380.png

Various snapped trim clips when it came out have been replaced from my box of random trim clips bought off Amazon a few years ago. The perfect equivalent is bright pink although obviously well out of sight!

All these plastics are getting a good scrub and the dirt coming out of them is unbelievable given how clean they look, which I suppose is a fact of life when brown plastic is everywhere!

Topcoat should be happening this weekend. Inching forwards.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of days of odd jobs done, although not much progress.

I did ponder whether to update the thread or whether it'd be too dull, but this is AS and the dullness is part of the charm. Maybe.

This wheel arch liner on the Mondeo I couldn't get back on after doing the wishbone, new fixings on from the inside and bolted back into place.

image.png.4f12b35f6b9f13600913888cfc92b5dd.png

Broken lens fixings repaired on the Capri, then lenses scrubbed to get rid of general accumulated crap incl a couple of spots of overspray from when I touched up some rust many years ago.

image.png.ccf6f85d8734c008e62eb7a080d26a33.png

Cleaned up all the contacts, fitted new bulbs, and tested everything works fine. Another thing which should hopefully 'just work'.

Then obtained a hired transit (sadly not a smileyface - this was a mk7) and filled it with all the Capri parts...

image.png.f645c42afa3b1fb23cd1f5e8cd409422.png

...to relocate them to a unit at the local garage, where the car will be returning for the 'serious' end of the reassembly.

image.png.7d76771a85d6f8278014e79a172c7873.png

I'd really hoped that the car would be back from the bodyshop by now, it's quite frustrating sitting on your hands and twiddling with odds and sods. I've got a few days off work so had planned to use that to get a headstart made on the reassembly. Frustrating intensely. The garage owner is pushing them, that I do know! The ability to reassemble it in a unit with a two poster is definitely much better than trying to do it all in the lockup.

List of reassembly tasks expanded to 221 items. List of time spent on the restoration updated - 218 hours of my time (let alone the big bits of work I sublet out - the welding and spraying). Amount spent well yes let's not look at that shall we.

I've also been cleaning up some of the door cards. You can see the 'clean' section where the arm rest is, and the mucky bit around the window winder.

I've given it a spray over with some reasonably mild cleaning products (a dab of Jif and a bit of Elbow Grease - nothing with solvents) and some sponges. Judging by the colour of the water flowing off at the bottom this has got a certain amount of the way.

image.png.c6e34b706b75eabbffcd27f190cb64ff.png

• Like 6

• N19 changed the title to N19's fleet - very slow Capri progress

Taking advantage of the empty lockup, here's one job I thoroughly recommend any other lockup/garage dwellers do - whitewash the walls.

image.png.ac04fa072dbea5471aece819ed41d244.png

Sounds like a silly thing but I did it in my old lockup and it really does make it a much brighter place to work, reflecting light better etc.

image.png.a161abc725f1faeddb58a399ec1881fd.png

• Like 2