1977 Princess 1.8 HL

phil_lihp

The jack is actually a pretty good design, quite a lot more stable than you might expect in use.  However, the bearings have a habit of failing in both the handles and the jacks after a few uses unless they're in tip top condition (yours actually look quite good).  Those do look like original plates, I've got a set off another Princess of similar vintage and it seems that pressed style was only around for a couple of years in the late 70s.  Arch and tool storage grot is pretty standard, in fact less bad than usual, so you've done well there too.  Nice work on that parcel shelf, it does look a lot better than what was there before.

I've still yet to find any really serious rot, I think the worst bits are the front valance and the bottom rear corner of the driver's rear wheelarch plus the passenger rear door.  There's minor holes here and there but all in all I've been very lucky. 

2 minutes ago, vulgalour said:

Nice work on that parcel shelf

You may not say that if you saw it in person, it looks like I cut it out with an angry crocodile but as with everything on this car it looks acceptable from 10 feet away and I can't see it from the driver's seat.

I started it up for the first time in a week earlier and was surprised when it ran for a few seconds, died and refused to restart.  A quick inspection under the bonnet showed a fuel filter containing a lot of brown sludge and not much else...hmmm, how long ago did I put £20 in it?  Quite a few weeks ago and it's done 65 miles plus a lot of idling since then.  The fuel gauge doesn't work but shoving the car around a bit let me confirm there was at least a bit of petrol still slopping around in the tank.

I went and filled up my jerry can, put a new fuel filter on it and turned the ignition on but the fuel pump stopped after a few seconds and the filter was empty.  At this point I decided to get seriously technical and selected a very specific long handled screwdriver with which to give the fuel pump some encouraging taps.  Still nothing, but I felt I was on the right track by hitting things with a screwdriver handle so applied the same treatment to the carb float bowl, which caused a sudden flurry of action from the pump and a surge of grotty brown fuel into the filter.  It then started and ran fine.

All this means one thing is clear...the fuel tank is going to have to come out for cleaning, but in the mean time I'll keep it topped up and replace the filter regularly.  Looks like my nicely cleaned and rebuilt carb will have muck in the float bowl again too despite the filter, so that's going to need attention.

Anyway, all this is academic because the really exciting bit happens tomorrow.  The Kennedys are arriving at 9AM and I have the day off work.  Watch this space.

When he pulled out the drivers side displacer the last jolt caused an eruption of nasty LHM/Hydragas fluid mix to vomit out of the pipe under the bonnet.  Sadly this means all the displacers are probably ruined, I do however have 4 freshly rebuilt ones.

Looks like he's saved the pipe, exciting!