Austin Maxi

keef

3 hours ago, JeeExEll said:

BL Special Tuning.

5SS1fWA.jpg

efbS3LO.jpg

gGGY0TB.jpg

Fibreglass bonnet, doors, and tailgate available.

Works rally Maxis converted to fixed rear screen. Centre exhaust too. Check out the heavy-duty front window air deflector.

cLVZHYu.jpg

What a fascinating bit of information. Another massive lost opportunity for BLMC not to market a performance Maxi model.

Anyone come across any of this?

2 hours ago, keef said:

That's a great colour.

I must admit I'm rather liking Maxi's in fact I've just sent off to join the owner club. I don't own one & probably never will, but me being odd when I rather like a car I sometimes join the relevant club for a bit as you obtain info' about the car & the club benefits from your dosh (so you help a bit towards keeping  them on the road etc ;-)).

1 hour ago, ETCHY said:

That's a great colour.

I must admit I'm rather liking Maxi's in fact I've just sent off to join the owner club. I don't own one & probably never will, but me being odd when I rather like a car I sometimes join the relevant club for a bit as you obtain info' about the car & the club benefits from your dosh (so you help a bit towards keeping  them on the road etc ;-)).

They do seem an amazing thing - in an odd way and styling-wise more modern than the Allegro or Marina which were designed later. Aged well - kind of timeless like a Landrover Defender...

20 hours ago, lesapandre said:

They do seem an amazing thing - in an odd way and styling-wise more modern than the Allegro or Marina which were designed later. Aged well - kind of timeless like a Landrover Defender...

I think you've hit on something there. The thing is I doubt the Maxi ever looked really trendy or uber modern therefore it hasn't dated to the same degree. Think of say a Mk3 Cortina  or FD Victor & they really look of their era because  they were styled like a car for  the late 60's/70's. The Maxi just looks how it looks & isn't copying anything or following any styling trends such as a coke bottle shape etc, it's just functional.

Those very looks that probably did it no favours back in the day are now one of its best features ?

29 minutes ago, bunglebus said:

Isn't that a landcrab rather than a Maxi?

That's probably what the BMC board said too! I like it tho. Yes it's an Austin 1500 - I think 'Maxi' came from Leyland's marketeers? That is 1965 I think - car was slated for an optimistic '66 launch at that point? 

It's a shame - what was acceptable in '66, in terms of rewriting the rule book, looked a bit plain jane by 1969/70 - once the more baroque Cortina Mk3 became a-la-mode. Same with the 3-Litre.