outlaw118

The grumpy thread

12 hours ago, xtriple said:

Washed the SuLK the other day and every day since the car has been covered in bird shit, no other car nearby has any but mine is proper splattered. If I see the budgie what's doing it it's going to get its tail feathers set alight.

Are your neighbours surreptitiously spreading breadcrumbs over your car when you're not looking?

you-are-mine-all-mine-14784046.png

Pigeons sit on our TV aerial, splattering the roof and sides of whatever car I've parked in the shit space underneath.  The sun then bakes the stuff to Aruldite strength :mad:.  The irony is that I have not used the TV for at least two years, and when lockdown boredom caused me to switch it on a few weeks ago it would not work!  At least I've removed the tree whose berries enabled pigeons and jackdaws to turn their Aruldite poo red.  The aerial will have to go.

Re: Birds shitting on cars; Fatha_Outlaw once said it's something to do with shiny cars looking like water. So SWMBO's silver Rio, yeah, perhaps, but Megamoose is black.

Still, someone on the interweb agrees, so it must* be true.
https://www.quora.com/Why-do-birds-poop-on-cars-Is-there-evidence-that-they-do-it-on-purpose

Spent hours digging through 'my files' 🙄 for the insurance certificate.  I usually get a reminder in the post a couple of weeks before it is due but it becomes due on the 7th.  Spent ages online trying to get some  sense of it the realised I only had the documents as .pdfs, looked in the email heap and got the certificate number, went to phone and the queue is huge but I can renew online.

Put the certificate number in then as i went to put the renewal date in realised the it is due in July, not June.  Oh well :(

Not grumpy, just sad 😔

Was on my way back from the IoW. I called to a mate and former trade plater colleagues house to see is he was Ok. I'd been trying to phone him for the last month or so to no avail. I called at his house as I was taking Ma_Sterling back home, as I knocked the door, a council workman was sitting in a van outside on the road pipped his horn to get my attention. He explained that about a month earlier, flowers were left outside the house and that occupier may have passed away. It was then I googl my mates name and found out that he'd died last month:

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/appeal-trace-army-mates-much-18117667

He was the chap who owned the Blue Vectra V6 in the right-hand side of this picture:

20190920_155142.thumb.jpg.1e93dfeaa5f1743758e31d8628845c2f.jpg

I contacted the newspaper who put the story up and asked them to please give my contact details to his son so I can pass my condolences 😔

1 hour ago, myglaren said:

Spent hours digging through 'my files' 🙄 for the insurance certificate.  I usually get a reminder in the post a couple of weeks before it is due but it becomes due on the 7th.  Spent ages online trying to get some  sense of it the realised I only had the documents as .pdfs, looked in the email heap and got the certificate number, went to phone and the queue is huge but I can renew online.

Put the certificate number in then as i went to put the renewal date in realised the it is due in July, not June.  Oh well :(

25 days before renewal due date is apparently the optimum date for getting quotes (Martin Lewis says so) I personally think insurance companies are all cu..., just like utilities companies that have better deals but won't offer them upfront and some won't even let you go directly through them having to use a comparison site 😵

Re bird shitting on cars: last year I went to a party at a country hotel somewhere in Leicestershite and I parked too close to the trees.  I don't know what kind of birds were living there, but next morning my car was COMPLETELY covered in huge black bird-turds, which I couldn't even pressure-wash away and had to practically chip them off the car with a trowel.  Amazingly my paint wasn't damaged.

2 hours ago, mitsisigma01 said:

25 days before renewal due date is apparently the optimum date for getting quotes (Martin Lewis says so) I personally think insurance companies are all cu..., just like utilities companies that have better deals but won't offer them upfront and some won't even let you go directly through them having to use a comparison site 😵

Mine has been reducing significantly year by year and always cheaper than the meercat -type quotes.

Too much of a pain to go through all that hassle if I can avoid it.  I was concerned about being uninsured - I haven't used the car in at least ten weeks but my son uses it most nights for work.

Well, most of you have probably seen the news about Minneapolis. 

We’re set for another night of unrest, with the national guard being brought in - with as many as 13,000 national guard possibly turning out.  Curfew at 8:00pm tonight.

Yes, there are bad pockets. Yes there has been violence and a very unfortunate cause to this, but it isn’t a reflection of Minnesota or Minneapolis usually. So many of those arrested are from ‘out of state’. Those who follow trouble. 

Don’t let the news over hype this. There are issues, but there are also inflammatory elements trying to make this worse by looting and destruction. Also the media trying to eat up airtime on this issue by sensationalization of the violence and destruction.  

Minneapolis is a great place to be. Yes, I would like to come home to the UK one day, but that’s just because the UK is home. Please don’t think that America or Minneapolis is as bad as you might see on the news. It’s a great place to be and I love living here. 

1 minute ago, chaseracer said:

Hope you're OK.  Been checked over?

Yeah i'm ok thanks, thought i'd cracked my wrist but was able to finish the job so must be ok, no head bump 

Self medicating with a drop of wine in anticipation of being v sore tomorrow 

Any dentists on here? A lump has appeared on my gum above a tooth. It’s squidgy but not overly painful. If I squirt mouthwash around that tooth I get an odd taste in my mouth. Could this be an abscess?

Sounds like an oozing abcess, with a way out for the puss ,so pain will be much less than if it was not " leaky ".  Call doc rather than dentist, get antibiotics. No need for a visit.  Remember to only brush and floss the teeth you want to keep, as most dentists would say.

Brush, floss brush floss repeat repeat repeat.

Legal note  .... not a dentist.   Speaking  from experience.

Edited by Chas4545
Legal note

4 minutes ago, Chas4545 said:

Sounds like an oozing abcess, with a way out for the puss ,so pain will be much less than if it was not " leaky ".  Call doc rather than dentist, get antibiotics. No need for a visit.  Remember to only brush and floss the teeth you want to keep, as most dentists would say.

Brush, floss brush floss repeat repeat repeat.

Legal note  .... not a dentist.   Speaking  from experience.

That was what I thought, in the spirit of ‘what’s the worst that could happen’ I gave it a good squeeze and could taste the same bad taste. I am at the docs Monday for a blood test so will ask them then.

They call it Scumtree for as reason.

Looking out for a cheap mountainbike for the grand-daughter, hoping for one with suspension, also not fussed about it being a ladies frame with the different crossbar; it's likely that when eldest grandson visits Outlaw_Junior, he'll ride it.

Everything in quotation marks are verbatim quotes.

This morning, one popped up in Maldon, about 30-40 minutes away, looked ideal, described as good running order, blah blah. Posted ad at 10:00, I messaged at 10:25 to enquire as to wheel and frame size, as not mentioned in the ad. 10 minutes later," full size frame 26" wheels". I replied straightaway "Thank you, I'll have this please, would you like cash or paypal, I can collect this morning, or anytime today, thanks". 

RADIO SILENCE

14:30 rang the number on the ad, and no reply.

17:05 message "It's sold"

MOTHER FUCKER.

Outlaw_Junior had his eye on another in Forest Gate, East Lahndahn. Messaged him, he's replying, making all the right noises, bike in "used but ok condition, no faults". So as he's got Micro_Outlaw, LittleMiss_Outlaw & Puppy_Outlaw with him, we set off in two cars. 

Should have noticed the Uber Eats rucksack in the hallway really.... The lad takes it for a little run up the road; he's a regular cyclist, and he knows what he's doing. Bike won't go into gear, the chain came off, there's no block on one side of the front brake. 

"oh, it's never done that before, perhaps the chain needs adjusting"

"L8RZ M8"

TL:DR Wankers.

1 hour ago, Tamworthbay said:

Any dentists on here? A lump has appeared on my gum above a tooth. It’s squidgy but not overly painful. If I squirt mouthwash around that tooth I get an odd taste in my mouth. Could this be an abscess?

Thats how mine started, got bigger and bigger until I wanted to cut my head off, pushed tooth up and out the socket by a couple of mm, it burst leaving mouth full of green puss BUT it felt soooooo good to be in no pain, got tablets and tooth out

Just now, Neil clark said:

Thats how mine started, got bigger and bigger until I wanted to cut my head off, pushed tooth up and out the socket by a couple of mm, it burst leaving mouth full of green puss BUT it felt soooooo good to be in no pain, got tablets and tooth out

The joy* of a tooth abscess is something else. When I had to have a series of spinal injections the consultant said after that he bet it was the worst pain you have  ever experienced, I made him laugh when I replied that I have would five sets of them before one tooth abscess. If the worst comes to the worse I will just get the wife to lance it for me.

Think I'll get rid of the Royale and Senator. Getting parts is a right fucking pain. Was on the lookout for a set of rubbers for my Royales master cylinder-brakes iffy (got a new set of pistons thanks to Angry Dicky), asked on ANS forum-ABS parts secretary replied that he had a 2nd hand master cylinder and a few other bits i wanted, replied within 2 hours of his email last sat-heard nothing-asked again today only to find it's all been sold to another member who's a trader and will most probably appear on his ebay shop.  Fuck paying £30 next time for membership-no point-the club even sells spares to non members via faceache. This has boiled my piss- MG fucking B next.

Rant over

Steve

1 hour ago, Stevebrookman said:

Think I'll get rid of the Royale and Senator. Getting parts is a right fucking pain. Was on the lookout for a set of rubbers for my Royales master cylinder-brakes iffy (got a new set of pistons thanks to Angry Dicky), asked on ANS forum-ABS parts secretary replied that he had a 2nd hand master cylinder and a few other bits i wanted, replied within 2 hours of his email last sat-heard nothing-asked again today only to find it's all been sold to another member who's a trader and will most probably appear on his ebay shop.  Fuck paying £30 next time for membership-no point-the club even sells spares to non members via faceache. This has boiled my piss- MG fucking B next.

Rant over

Steve

Why I am no longer a member of any clubs. It goes pete tong once money is involved. Dont get rid - just bear with it Steve.

10 minutes ago, Bren said:

Looking at facebook this morning you would think we had never put man in space before.

I think the issue is that if the Americans* aren't doing something then as far as they are concerned it isn't happening. Notwithstanding frequent rocket launches from Russia and Kazakhstan in the interval between the last Space Shuttle mission. I did find it quite interesting, especially the very 2001 esque spacesuit, and wellington boot combo modelled by the astronauts on board.

*I know Elon is a saffer but you get my meaning.

1 hour ago, Supernaut said:

This just made my blood run cold.

I really feel for anybody in Minneapolis right now.

Sorry, it's a link to a reddit post with a video in it.

America is seriously fucked up, it has been for years but the cracks are just getting wider and wider at the moment. Glad my brother has moved to Tucson from Boston as I gather it’s pretty rough up there as well.

Edit, stuff that, just spoke to my brother and he can see several plumes of smoke from his house and the police are driving around telling people to stay indoors. Seems it’s kicking off all over.

I got married in the states. I remember a cop yelling at my brother for stopping outside the building while I went in for the marriage licence. His attitude was abysmal.