Stolen 2cv

richardmorris

Well there’s very little left it seems. Clare is very upset.

And in her shoes I may not want it back.

Wheels, Chassis, body and engine / gearbox.

No panels, no glass, no lights, wiring loom, interior, dash, mats, roof, seatbelts, or doors.

Scum.

The fact they stole the sound insulation is certainly odd. And the wiring loom. Rust-free panels can change money for decent coin now. Decent bonnets are in short supply. Running the risk of having to battle French screws and bolts in a hurry is certainly a strange life choice. I hope these people also consider sticking their fingers in plug sockets a sensible way to pass time.

The fact they stole the sound insulation is certainly odd. And the wiring loom. Rust-free panels can change money for decent coin now. Decent bonnets are in short supply. Running the risk of having to battle French screws and bolts in a hurry is certainly a strange life choice. I hope these people also consider sticking their fingers in plug sockets a sensible way to pass time.

£100each? So that’s £600 doors boot and bonnet. £400 for the wings. Another £200 for the seats.

Wiring loom? Who has ever seen a 2cv wiring loom on eBay?

I don’t think someone’s done this to eBay, they’ve stripped it to do their own car to sell.

I do wonder why the shell was dumped rather than being cut up into bits and sent for scrap? Surely you'd want to make sure you'd not leave any evidence. I suspect it wasn't a professional organised crime job.

No, this all points to local scumbags.

I've a funny feeling that it was stripped fairly close to where it was dumped because of how close to home it was found. Withington is a largely residential area so that makes me think it may have been stripped in someones home garage. I'm hoping to find out where exactly it was dumped.

I have heard that the registration number of the van used to tow it was NL03 NKK. If that isn't stolen and is a genuine ID for the van then tracking it down ASAP is really important. Annoyingly the online MOT history check site doesn't show which MOT test centers did each test any more. I suggested to one of the owners relatives that they call DVSA & DVLA and see if they can squeeze any info out of them about the van.

Do we have anyone here in the trade that could find out who has done it's last few MOTs? It failed one right at the end of January too.

£100each? So that’s £600 doors boot and bonnet. £400 for the wings. Another £200 for the seats.

Wiring loom? Who has ever seen a 2cv wiring loom on eBay?

I don’t think someone’s done this to eBay, they’ve stripped it to do their own car to sell.

....or possibly to sell parts to less scrupulous 2CV owners?

How sad, it's definitely the invasion of privacy that leaves the mark. When my Carlton was broken into a while back, I was annoyed and treated the car carelessly.

Almost like somehow it was the cars fault?

A strange feeling.

There seems to be some nice people in the 2cv club (and a spandex wearing,fruit sqeezing nutjob) so I hope the sympathy and offers of help/parts rekindle a bond with the car. But sometimes moving on is easier than having nice things.

If it was me I'd be popping into local restorers or older car bodyshops as a potential customer and keep an eye out.

Everything left is the I.D of the car. So I'd guess somewhere someone has a new shell and chassis awaiting some panels.

Police don't seem very interested, so I doubt we'll ever know.

I think I relayed the story on here where a neighbour photographed a stolen car just after it had crashed outside. She got a clear shot of the drivers face. Police were not interested. Did not want to talk to her or view the picture.

As for any CCTV cameras in the area, forget it. None will 'be working' I guarantee it. The cameras are for them in charge, not for the publics benefit.

And breathe... ☺

Police being pretty useless by the sounds of it. All they have been told is that it was found in the corner of a car park in Withington, nothing specific, and they won't look at CCTV either apparently. The relative I'm in touch with suspects that it was the one "behind the high street as there are a few garages round there". Edit: the one behind this garage.

The suspect van was seen parked behind the 2CV a little while before it was stolen by the sounds of it and someone has a photo of the NL03 NKK plate.

What's left has been taken to a garage to keep the insurers away from it.

Who's that? Edit: Shares a name with someone at the garage I linked to but I'm not saying that garage had anything to do with it, just using it as a link for the location on Google Maps.

They might known of the van.  Quite likely they have wind of local doasyoulikeys and their chariots