HMC- Rover 75 mushroom cloud?

HMC

My neighbour Steve has made more progress repairing rust and minor accident damage on the freshly mot'd MX5

post-4673-0-87137000-1529958742_thumb.jpg

post-4673-0-73247400-1529958809_thumb.jpg

East meets west with spitfire bonnet offcut (pimento red?) repair section let in.

Meanwhile the rustfree and sensible A4 scrubbed up well following a wash, and I've found a nicer way to secure the front bumper so the jumbo cable ties that sat either side of the number plate are gone.

post-4673-0-74452000-1529959024_thumb.jpg

It was sold described with an oil leak but having a good look around I think it's coming from the oil filter itself. I hope it's one of those simpler than you thought fixes which I'm glad of after the merc saga. An oil and filter change later in the week awaits....

Fingers crossed for an easy fix.

What do you think of the Audi so far? I've only ever driven them around auction compounds and that limited experience was one of many dull and much uncomfortable.

^ Agreed. In the past I've found the driver's seats in audis to be not very comfortable. I had a 2002 a6 tdi pd avant a few years back that had a 7-800 mile range on a full tank but I'd have to stop every 2-3 hours with backache. I've not done a long trip in this yet, so can't compare. The steering is familiar though- numb and not a patch on the feel of my much missed e46 touring.

• Like 2

In other news I noticed on my v5c/2 that the Audi is 20 years old this month. No rust. The interior is in good shape and hasn't noticeably deteriorated- plastics, rubbers, surface finishes etc. As a consumer durable that trumps pretty much every other car I've ever owned at that age. It may have been cosseted/garaged at some point but this cheap hack feels like it's got a lot of life left in it. It may not be inspiring but I don't want inspiration right now; a painless mode of transport is what it is.

post-4673-0-51509200-1530089937_thumb.jpg

It needs a pair of old font plates, the weirder the font the better.

I have a strange desire to put a pair if raised digit plates on a Y prefix reg car.

These A4s are just about passable with the standard seats in them, but the sports seats are abysmal.

Woeful head and legroom though.

I concur! I owned one with the sports seats for 2 years. Ow.

PSA products have way better seats, as do Mazda MX-5s, and my current car has rather lovely seats too.

Guest Hooli

I'm still trying to work out what an Anal daily hack is :neutral:

No idea why it's greek or what they are saying as I searched with the sound off.

Temptation!!!!

IMG_4987.PNG

Registered prior to launch IIRC

I was 2nd highest bidder on that last week. Sold at £460 and immediately relisted. Didn’t even get an email.

I hope you got it for £100 less. That’ll hopefully learn ‘em.

So this A4 was sold with an "engine oil leak" I thought it might be coming from or near the oil filter housing, having a quick look with my phone torch. It was quite a bad leak, a drip every few seconds pretty much. The vendor sagely told me it was pointless spending hundreds of fixing an engine oil leak on such a car.

True, but what if the fix cost £5.99? Optimistically I decided to do an oil and filter change and hoped my hunch was right.....

post-4673-0-39317300-1530135090_thumb.jpg

It worked!

I cleaned up the oil caked lower engine bay and underside just to double check nothing else was going on....

post-4673-0-36977500-1530135184_thumb.jpg

There wasn't! I've decided I like it even more because of the easy fix, next to sort the diff fuel gauge and thermostat.

Great when it's a simple fix like this, and you got an oil and filter change for free.

Hopefully it'll be the same issue on my Freelander when I eventually pull my finger out.

I love doing a filter change on the A4 B5 as you don't have to get that dirty as I just unbolt the expansion tank and move it slightly to the side and the filter is then easy to get from the top.

I let quick shit do an oil and filter change on mine and wish I never as they didn't tighten the filter up so I ended up with more outside the engine than in it I was very lucky I noticed it.

I see yours is an early (glass headlamp) B5 and I always found them better screwed together than the later 98 onward facelift car and my minty low mileage 1.6 1995 A4 was my biggest regret I've had ever had selling a motor.

I think those A4s and Audi 80s are basically a car for life in terms of build quality and would go on forever with a bit of maintenance.

Being tempted by a localish Volvo 440 here, facelift, 1994, auto. The vendor is unsure whether it's a conventional auto or a cvt. All attempts to describe the clear difference in how it drives has failed. Short of going in person to determine this Are there any identifying features e.g. What the transmission selector looks like (got a pic) Finally your experiences good bad or ugly with these beasties?

My j plate 440 gle I had a conventional 4 speed auto and it had p r n d 3 2 1 and my CVT 340 ended at D. Thirsty tanks for what they are. My 1.7 440 barely broke 25mpg and the 1.4 CVT was just as bad. The A4 is clean enough. Nice motor. I had an N plate TDI base trim and was so much better than the later ones.

• Like 2

Yes definitely CVT. My conventional auto couldn't make it's mind up,found gear ratios were a bit odd too. Very short in first,long in top and chasms between everything else.

Must admit the wife's P reg Punto selecta from years ago left everything for dead at the lights. (only a 1.2)

After about 35 mph, started to struggle though :)

Got an incoming replacement for this so it's up for sale.....

1998 Audi A4 1.8. In black, 150k and MOT to October.

It's a really tidy car, a few scratches her and there, but absolutely no rust or dents. Starts stops and drives fine. Everything works, including sunroof, but the fuel gauge is occasionally temperamental (sender solder joint I think) and a new thermostat wouldn't go amiss as it runs cool. Tyres all fine but will probably need replacing in a couple of thousand miles. Located Tavistock and I'd like £150post-4673-0-06196200-1530527199_thumb.jpgpost-4673-0-76346800-1530527240_thumb.jpgpost-4673-0-01069600-1530527284_thumb.jpgpost-4673-0-22102700-1530527370_thumb.jpg