Automobiles Erad (SECMA) - French microcar manufacturer - update 2020 + 2024

egg

When Reliant ceased production, many who were driving on a motorcycle licience changed to Axiam because they could still drive them without another test.

Yeah, because 'Quadricycle', but surely there can't be enough of those folk left out there to make the Aixam viable on that appeal alone? The Robin died ages ago.

The story I was told is that they are fading out because of the insurance. Insurers have grown to realise that these cars are only driven by 16 year old "Jackies" (French "Barry") or geriatrics who are either piss heads or park by feel.or both. Consequently they now cost a fortune to insure.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

I first heard of Erad thanks to a feature in November 1990's CAR magazine. I had all the CAR's between 1990-1993, but got rid of 'em all just before my daughter was born. So, I had to buy it back again to get the feature...

Here's a pic from the article, more to follow in time, I need to see a man about a leak...

2020-04-15_135816.thumb.jpg.cf2975b3a93b313357b0e34c9c61525e.jpg

Geoff Matthews did the styling on the above car - He worked on the Matra Rancho and most of the 80's Citroens

http://www.citroenet.org.uk/miscellaneous/geoff-matthews/obituary.html

He wanted the AX to be a one box design. Seems familar...

http://www.citroenet.org.uk/prototypes/eco2000/eco-2000.html

eco20002g.jpg

But the Erad was designed by his own consultancy.

Digging deeper, 

Brian Clough (not that one) actually turned the design into a prototype.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/brian-clough-b2450828/?originalSubdomain=uk

It seems more recently, Brian was involved in Top Gear

P45 - The World's Smallest Car (BBC Topgear Special Project)
Aug 2012

Project description

Working remotely via email and Skype I directed 2nd Year Transport Students in a vacation project for BBC TopGear “World’s Smallest Car”. Brief created by Jeremy Clarkson. Students on holiday across the globe created concept artwork and storyboards in support of this TopGear ‘Special Project’. The car was hand fabricated by Bob Petersen Engineering for the BBC. The 13 students and myself were later invited to the Dunsfold studio recording of Series 19 Episode 1 when the car was revealed in January 2013.

This thing:

01_03_38mb.jpg

The exterior was done by a chap called Jonathan Gould

who I think is this guy who designed the Jensen GT 'comeback'

https://www.motortrend.com/news/jensen-gt-heralds-comeback-for-british-sports-car-name/

https://mb.cision.com/Public/10308/9730037/8a6d1e1ffd54f0a1.pdf

Graduating in 1988 with an honours degree in Transportation Design, Jonathan has worked in the automotive design consultancy business for over 18 years, 12 of which were with Geoff Matthews.
During this time Jonathan has supplied many creative designs to the world’s automotive manufacturers, including the national cars for Iran, Turkey and Malaysia. During the 1990s he was
responsible for design and development of bespoke Bentleys and the Rolls Royce Corniche, the last Rolls Royce to be built in Crewe

• Like 1

On 6/4/2017 at 10:28 PM, Mally said:

When Reliant ceased production, many who were driving on a motorcycle licience changed to Axiam because they could still drive them without another test.

In the spares place we had a customer who clearly didn't have a full licence, miserable old fella,, tight as could be and always a sour expression. 

He would regularly be in for bits and pieces for his scruffy 70s Reliant Robin,  often cursing it. 

One day he came in and bought some polish. 

Uh?! 

He pointed out the window at his new car. A smile on his face.  It was an 18 month old Axiam. 

Occasionally he would come in for a couple of spark plugs or a gallon of oil but we didn't see much of him after that. 

For about 6 months.  

Then he came in for a service kit for an 80s Rialto. 

No Axiam? I asked. 

"Bah, bloody thing! Forever going wrong, never had so much trouble with a car. 

And it drank petrol!  Gone back to Reliant" 

So all was back to normal for a while. 

About a year later he was back in another Axiam. "I've got a diesel this time, better economy and more reliable." 

It was probably only 3 months this time. 

"Can I have plugs and points for a Rialto?" 

I darent ask why. 

31 minutes ago, Timewaster said:

Aixam = unreliable toss

In a little over six months, my Aixam Mega City+ has managed a full three days of service.

s-l1600.jpg

If you're in any way intrigued as to the levels of misery involved in owning (and trying to fix) such a spectacularly bad 'sans permis' horror as this then please feel free to visit this thread.

There's been an Axiam for sale not too far from me, although the sign that was in front of it has been gone for a couple of weeks - the car hasn't shifted.  It's in rough shape on someone's drive (they have a lot of cars and some caravans around the back).  Never been tempted by it to be honest as even a good example doesn't have the best reputation (see above!) and this one has definitely seen better days.  But if anyone is interested...

I would own that Erad, but £1500 is a lot of dosh for that IMO. And the little cheese-wedge thing is rather cool. Not sure I could roll in that 'MG' though!

1 hour ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

There's been an Axiam for sale not too far from me, although the sign that was in front of it has been gone for a couple of weeks - the car hasn't shifted.  It's in rough shape on someone's drive (they have a lot of cars and some caravans around the back).  Never been tempted by it to be honest as even a good example doesn't have the best reputation (see above!) and this one has definitely seen better days.  But if anyone is interested...

In fairness, mine is a battery powered one, owned by someone who knows nothing about battery electric vehicles. That said, it's still a piss-poor attempt at a car, though; designed and built by idiots after a heavy drinking session by the looks of it.

Anyway, this one for sale near you - what's the deal? ? If it's another 'leccy one I can always use more spares!

• Like 2

A few more facts from the article.

- The MG replica used a 12bhp Japanese Kubota 3 cylinder diesel with the CVT transmission found in all the other cars.

- French microcars that the 14 year olds could drive were limited to 350kg  - but this rule was more widely applied apparently to keep Japanese Kei cars out of the domestic market.

- While the cars were made in France as I noted before, the little trucks* were made from kits in the old Citroen factory in Casablanca, if memory serves, it's where they built 2CV's near the end of production?

s-l500.jpg

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, egg said:

.... were made from kits in the old Citroen factory in Casablanca, if memory serves, it's where they built 2CV's near the end of production?

I think the last 2CV's where made at the Mangualde factory in Portugal. Which is still there making the Citroen Berlingo, Peugeot Partner/Rifter and Opel/Vauxhall Combo.

Did the Erads use Lister engines?  I didn't know that.  Most of the sans permis used either Lombardini or Kubota.

I'm sure I've posted this before, but this was always my favourite French microcar:

3373101828_1b8e3bbc99_b.jpg

The Microcar Newstreet.  Microcar is one of the few sans permis manufacturers still going.  The Newstreet was the only one I've ever seen that was directly targeted at the 14-year-old market rather than aging pissheads.  Rather than the usual diesel it was powered by a 50cc 2-stroke Yamaha scooter engine, developing the same 5.5bhp as the diesels but rather a lot less torque.  I imagine this was interesting to drive on hilly roads, especially two-up.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Did the Erads use Lister engines?

According to the article

• They used the 1 cylinder 304cc Lister in the san-permis version (4.5bhp)
  • 2 cylinder water cooled 505cc Lombardini (12bhp) in the licenced versions
  • 3 cylinder Kubota diesel in the 'MG' (also 12bhp)

I like the home spun man in a shed quality of these vehicles. We usually associate French cars with cutting edge engineering - this is more in line with British homebrew specials and our low volume makers. It appeals for that reason.

• Like 3

Interesting.  The Microcars used the 505cc Lombardini in detuned form, even in the sans permis version.  Aixam used a slightly smaller Kubota twin.  Although I think the base model Aixams used to use a Yanmar single.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, strangeangel said:

I would own that Erad, but £1500 is a lot of dosh for that IMO. And the little cheese-wedge thing is rather cool. Not sure I could roll in that 'MG' though!

In fairness, mine is a battery powered one, owned by someone who knows nothing about battery electric vehicles. That said, it's still a piss-poor attempt at a car, though; designed and built by idiots after a heavy drinking session by the looks of it.

Anyway, this one for sale near you - what's the deal? ? If it's another 'leccy one I can always use more spares!

I don't honestly know, it's something that I see regularly.  It's up in Chartham Hatch.  Red.  Unfortunately it's not somewhere where I can stop the car and take a peek (very narrow restricted bit of road) but it would be quite easy to find it.  Just off the main road between Ashford and Canterbury, turn left before the roundabout for Thannington Without, about 400 yards down from the garden centre (on the way into Canterbury), go up the hill all the way and just before you get to Chartham Hatch, it's there on the driveway.  It had a 'For Sale - £500' sign a couple of months ago that seems to have gone now...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, egg said:

According to the article

• They used the 1 cylinder 304cc Lister in the san-permis version (4.5bhp)
  • 2 cylinder water cooled 505cc Lombardini (12bhp) in the licenced versions
  • 3 cylinder Kubota diesel in the 'MG' (also 12bhp)

I like the home spun man in a shed quality of these vehicles. We usually associate French cars with cutting edge engineering - this is more in line with British homebrew specials and our low volume makers. It appeals for that reason.

Petter AC1R engine was supplied in quite large quantities for various Erad vehicles.  I remember seeing  loaded trucks leaving the Lister factory with a full load of 80 odd engines on board. 

Also supplied were LPA2 engines for the mini truck but in lower quantities. 

Holy good gravy; a car 'powered' by a Petter AC1, glaciers will move with more verve and alacrity than that. The noise and vibration must make using one tortuous.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, somewhatfoolish said:

Holy good gravy; a car 'powered' by a Petter AC1, glaciers will move with more verve and alacrity than that. The noise and vibration must make using one tortuous.

to quote the article 'it's a very welcoming environment. What spoils is is starting the engine. The single cylinder air-cooled unit is undeniably noisy and very wearing after an afternoon's drive. But production cars [they drove a prototype] will have much more noise insulation...and the quieter air-cooled Lombardini will surely be the right choice for any licenced driver, or anyone outside France.'

They go on to say it was never designed to propel a passenger car.

It was designed as a 'high speed lightweight' industrial engine, in this instance high speed means 3600 rpm(as opposed to the 1500-1800 rpm of the previous generation of aircooled thumpers). at which I think the rated output is nominally 6 bhp.

1 hour ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

Not a particularly splendid place, sadly!

Indeed so.

'Thanington is a deprived district on the outskirts of Canterbury which used to be called “Little Beirut” because of its high levels of crime and violence.'

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/long_reads/brexit-referendum-leave-vote-canterbury-thanington-kent-austerity-a8740081.html

• Like 2

The very last car that Erad made was the Agora, which to me seems like a step back from the model featured by CAR.  Here is one for sale. I believe they also had an electric iteration.

As yet I don't know what engine these had.

https://www.automobile.fr/Voiture/Autres-Krankenfahrstuhl-Erad-Industrie-F-CE8/vhc:car,cnt:de,pgn:3,pgs:50,srt:date,sro:desc,prn:5000,prx:5000,dmg:false/pg:vipcar/296694545.html

$_21.JPG

$_21.JPG

• Like 1