E23 728 gremlins

smellmycheese

My much loved bmw is playing up again.

It's a 1986 728i auto.

Sometimes I'll be out and if I stop at the shops,when I get back in it won't start. Full dash lights just absolutely nothing. Battery is brand new. Alternator charging ok. Earth checked and extra one added.

As soon as you jump it from another car it'll start which made me think earth problem but no. Tried two new batteries from other cars but no. Doing my head right in tbh....

Was joking, but it could be an intermittent fault with the gearbox ignition lock-out switchy thing though, or at a connector to do with it.

I had a e34 auto a while back which was parked up for a year. The gear selector mechanism siezed up during that time and caused all sorts of problems.

Intermittent problems are a bugger to find, as you well know.

Edit, have just re-read your first post. It's not really intermittent. As it needs two batteries in parallel to start every time it looks like your BM needs LOTS of current to start.

One battery would probably still be enough to eventually overcome a random might-work, might-not-work control circuit problem.

As it starts EVERY time when jumped from another battery my gut feeling would be to get the starter motor checked out. But first check the thick cable and every connection going to it. Do these BMWs have a ballast resistor which may have gone high resistance?

And post any developments. You have a waftobarge we don't see very often any more :-)

Sorry. The diagnostic connector in the engine bay. Where you reset the service lights?

If you bridge pins 11 and 14 the starter will operate. Be aware though that it'll operate irrespective of the inhibitor switch, so it'll start in gear.

So if it starts from the diagnostic connector, it means that the starter motor and its wiring/earthing is in order and you need to look at the ignition switch/inhibitor switch side of things.

post-18224-0-68925900-1485023803_thumb.jpg

If BavarianRetro's pin-shorting method points the finger of suspicion at the starter motor, see if you can give the starter solenoid a sharp tap with something and try it again.   (The 'something' could be placing the tip of a long screwdriver on it and administering the tap to the other end).

Removing the starter motor from an M30 engine is tricky - mine needs to come off, but one of the bolts is very difficult to get at.  I've read that you can reach down the back of the inlet manifold with a skinny spanner and get at it that way, but have not tried it yet.   If that fails, I suspect the next line of attack is for the inlet manifold to come off, which will be a PITA.  Iirc, my Chilton manual suggests the offending bolt can be loosened with a narrow walled socket.  After a very uncomfortable hour or two trying, I found this not to be the case. 

• 1 month later...

If BavarianRetro's pin-shorting method points the finger of suspicion at the starter motor, see if you can give the starter solenoid a sharp tap with something and try it again. (The 'something' could be placing the tip of a long screwdriver on it and administering the tap to the other end).

Removing the starter motor from an M30 engine is tricky - mine needs to come off, but one of the bolts is very difficult to get at. I've read that you can reach down the back of the inlet manifold with a skinny spanner and get at it that way, but have not tried it yet. If that fails, I suspect the next line of attack is for the inlet manifold to come off, which will be a PITA. Iirc, my Chilton manual suggests the offending bolt can be loosened with a narrow walled socket. After a very uncomfortable hour or two trying, I found this not to be the case.

Where is the starter solenoid?

,,,which is tucked away under the inlet manifold.    This picture shows it well, but it's not as easy to see when the engine's in the car.  

You can feel the wiring on the solenoid if you grope around a bit - it may even be possible to transmit blows to the solenoid using a big screwdriver through the holes in the manifold, but I haven't looked at mine recently enough to remember.

13825139903_ac97c3c275.jpg

ETA: looking at the flywheel in that picture has made me realise I could inspect it using a tiny USB borescope through the hole for the crankshaft position sensor and without disturbing the starter motor.  I suspect the timing pin has fallen out of mine.