Odd Looking and Odd Cylindered Beast from the Far East | Fucking Rubbish

overrun

This thread has become photobucket obscure-tastic!

Loving the boxed-in ply flat floor.

I feel your pain about sticking in those concrete fence posts. I dug my old ones out with a spade and put 18 of them in new holes all by hand a couple of months ago and it pretty much broke me. Right up there with the hardest work I've ever done. Could have done with knowing about those post hole diggers and those big concrete plug smashing chisel things maybe BEFORE the job rather than after!

• 4 months later...
  • overrun changed the title to Odd looking and odd cylindered Beast from the Far East - Now EMTB friendly.
  • 2 months later...

Boring update for the fans of this beauty.

Using it for the commute atm. BFG MT's aren't the best in the snow - not that we have had that much of it - and it's stuck in 2WD. So I can get my dorifto fix.

When I replaced the bottom arms errr a while back, I noticed that the steel stub things from the hubs to the vac pipes for the lockers were past their best; one snapped, one snapping.

I'm still yet to fix that. But I will.

We're chugging along fine, though. 100% SVO on board, save for the dregs of derv that were in the tank, and no issues with starting, as ever.

ABS/TCS/EBD/BBQ fuse removed for now, after I came very close to batting my neighbours Fiat 500 onto their front lawn, at circa 10mph, rhe other day. I wasn't the only one. That corner was treacherous. 🙈

I plan some modz soon. Side steps going the journey, Prado 120 snorkel and of course, sorting the front hubs.

43 minutes ago, scorchio69 said:

Oooooooo kashima coated forks , nice unusual bike carrier and makes a change from the usual VW,s . So is this the OM605 engine ? 

The Fox Factory's are on my mates Cube. Mine is the Focus. Both very different bikes. He has Kashina forks and seat post, I have Di2. His has a removable 625wh battery, mine has an internal 376wh and a piggy back 376wh, he has 36mm stanchions but a heavier bike, I have 34mm. His is Bosch, mine is Shimano etc lol.

The truck has an OM662. They seemingly only exist in Ssangyong's.

Minus 6 this morning. One cycle of the glow plugs and she purred into life.

23 minutes ago, Out Run said:

The Fox Factory's are on my mates Cube. Mine is the Focus. Both very different bikes. He has Kashina forks and seat post, I have Di2. His has a removable 625wh battery, mine has an internal 376wh and a piggy back 376wh, he has 36mm stanchions but a heavier bike, I have 34mm. His is Bosch, mine is Shimano etc lol.

The truck has an OM662. They seemingly only exist in Ssangyong's.

Minus 6 this morning. One cycle of the glow plugs and she purred into life.

Hi mate , I have the auto stock updates set up for the new 2021 canyon torque on 9 and it too has splattering of kashima, this is going to be my first ebike and defo looking forward too it 

2 hours ago, scorchio69 said:

Hi mate , I have the auto stock updates set up for the new 2021 canyon torque on 9 and it too has splattering of kashima, this is going to be my first ebike and defo looking forward too it 

'21 eh? Posh bastard haha. I'm just an ancient 19 plate.

You posted pics of yours in the Pushbike Shite thread, mate? Sounds a nice one.

2 hours ago, tom13 said:

Is that a plastic sleeve you are using to protect your thru axle.

Get more pics up. I assume they are 20-25mm pipe clamps?

It's the steel tube that used to comprise my loft ladder handle. Turns out to be the perfect I.D.

Yeah that's the clamps. Toolstation's finest.

I'll grab some more pics. Cheers.

• 10 months later...

REXTUM FAN CLUB UPDATE

I hadn't used this much, until a couple of months back.  The NSF caliper was basically not operating, the handbrake was shit - as it had always been and it wasn't fun to drive, so it sat about and became a mobile shed.

I stuck a new back box, handbrake cables, handbrake rebuild kit, caliper sliders F&R (turned out 3/4 fronts were seized) and the other piston and seals from a Big Redd rebuild kit that I had, on the NSF and had it MOTed and put back into use.

As you can imagine, it's been to the tip a few times, a couple of longer trips and is loving life, on WVO, these days.

The fuel filter (I had only changed it once and have owned the car since Dec '16) started blocking up, 50ish miles from home, last weekend. So that was fun.

Stuck a new MANN on it a couple of daya later and it also currently has a burst brake pipe. I'll sort that and fit the new front vacuum hubs I have for it, over the holidays.

She just keeps goin. Not bad at all for what, almost 18 years old?

D28C9BCF-70FD-4C6D-896C-8475AB58AC65.jpeg

Had a look at this, today.

The knackered brake pipe snapped when I undid the union. 
Turns out though that the pipe was only shot, where it is exposed for a short length and the Korean kar maker was kind enough to coil the steel brake lines up in just that area, so I pulled some more down, flared it and job's a good 'un. 

Maybe a bit gyppo, but it works. Compliments the manky high viz jacket I was wearing, nicely.

The rest of the pipe seems decent, but I do  intend to replace them all, in the better weather.

Flash is on in the 'before' pic. So far from flattering. 😬

77F6BD77-2753-4087-8F2C-84FCB4847019.jpeg

587168B0-EB6E-47EA-A4E8-6EB42EF36229.jpeg

E768C7A0-DFDE-4CE6-B9FC-57A4494E79BC.jpeg

Had a look at the vacuum locking hubs, too. 
Turns out, that despite research, I have bought the wrong ones and this car uses nothing like what I have. Oh, well!

I stripped the OSF down, to remove the driveshaft from the hub carrier and expected to be met with a knackered version of the shiny new vac hubs in the pics.

Instead, mine runs a similar system, but it is as I first remembered, the nipple for the vac pipe is part of the upright and as can be seen, mine has rusted off - red circle in pic (both sides are the same and they fell to bits when I replaced the bottom arms, about 3 years ago). Shame it's not like the design I bought, as can be seen, the nipples are part of a replaceable part - and it also requires 2 vac lines. I KNEW mine only had the 1...

The original plan was to drill out and tap or inteference fit a new bit of small OD steel tube into the uprights and reattach the vac lines, but as I reassembled it, I was thinking it would be better it the hubs locked manually.

4X4 stuff is all alien to me (aside from what I have done on this car) and as you can see, the end cap of the hub contains a diaphragm, which along with other plastic washers etc playing nicely, will act upon the hub and lock/unlock, when the dash button is pressed. CBA with attempting to sort all of that.

So I'm gonna order some of the manual lockers and we should be sorted. As well as just being better, it's a lot less work and initial searches put them at £150/pair on eBay, but after 10 mins searching, I'm pretty sure I can get them for £60 delivered, from Aliexpress.

Win win.

7E2EB3EE-0F17-463A-A269-D10171914318.jpeg

49B9E42D-DB66-4DA5-ADB2-9617F1EA68D2.jpeg

BCBCFE03-A246-4115-A8D9-B1F9A2EA8E4D.png

B6E74596-486C-4E6D-9FF0-903B13D5E25F.jpeg

30AF2C3C-7558-4E80-BE11-4C40FCA4C5E0.jpeg

• overrun changed the title to Odd looking and odd cylindered Beast from the Far East | Your number's up.

My mate spotted this plate and we both agreed it was worth £250, for the old bus.

Childish slogan may only be understood by me.

Annoying that I drilled the rear plate in the same place as the original, so it has a bit of a bow. I might sort it.

I'm also still rocking the stain of shame, from fuel filler.

B0335DEA-1040-4398-8F31-313755F13246.jpeg

968D1BCE-6254-4EDA-86A3-37482F32FA94.jpeg

50D6E3F7-991E-4A6C-88D6-765BFE8E54DD.png