Great number plates - got any?

outlaw118

On 14/01/2024 at 11:33, bunglebus said:

OK number plate nerds - arguing with an internet stranger about this plate - he says it's UK, I say there are no Qs used except on the suffix type given to kit cars

FB_IMG_1705231812807.thumb.jpg.1c01e76bb006aa15abf4d9e4933b9b76.jpg

I wondered if it was Irish but drawn a blank - aren't there some African plates that look like UK ones?

Taken outside The Savoy hotel in central London on 16th October 1959, leopard belonged to Billy Smart's circus 

I thought it might be either an NI or RoI plate, but Q wasn't issued their either (save for QNI for Northern Irish kit cars.)  There's an interesting chapter about Irish plates (both Republic and Northern Ireland) in this book - if fact the whole book is interesting:

image.png.d0527b3b7ade3f6e5ce265723e6bf829.png

TH3 NUM83R P1ATE 800K - Waterstones

The main thing being the UK's number plate system was created before the creation of the RoI and it wasn't until 1987 that they set up their own system. Also it was still possible to move number plates from RoI to the UK after independence (if my memory is correct). VIP 1 being an expensive example.

As an aside, I think the name of that book rather clever what with all the words being legitimate UK registrations.

• Like 2

For those who don’t know, this was once a pub called ‘The Pig of Lead’ it’s situated on Via Gellia’ heading from Matlock to Buxton in Derbyshire. If you zoom in above the door & then the reg it makes sense

IMG_7263.jpeg

• Like 2

I saw a foreign registered Merc G-Wagen with the number GS WAGEN. None of the letters looked like numbers and I didn't see what country it was from.

On 21/01/2024 at 10:57, angle said:

No pictures because I was driving, but a BMW 760Li with V12 badges on the boot and wings with V12 1S OK as a plate...

I've been in the car more than usual lately, normally only use it for a couple of hours every 10~14 days.

Seen loads but can't take a photo while driving of course and details forgotten ten minutes later.

One in particular spelled out what looked to be P COLBERT although I can't reconstruct it or match to a known registration.

37 minutes ago, Rusty Pelican said:

Not my pic , however is this all a Range Rover is worth nowadays 

421492480_789124686386001_1330967045119576126_n.jpg

Only if it moves under it's own steam.

On 22/01/2024 at 18:59, DavieW said:

I saw a foreign registered Merc G-Wagen with the number GS WAGEN. None of the letters looked like numbers and I didn't see what country it was from.

Probably G5 WAGEN, which would be a valid Polish personalised plate. Slovakia is the only country I know of that allows all-letter plates but GS isn't a valid Slovakian area code.

L8DY G on unsurprisingly a purple Range Rover wizzed past The Greyhound in Charcott whilst I was having an excellent lunch today.

Greyhound Pie was on the menu but I resisted.

13 hours ago, DSdriver said:

Greyhound Pie was on the menu but I resisted.

I always find Greyhound pie is a bit stringy, much prefer Alsatian or Great Dane pie,! 

Followed a  Iveco Horsebox through Durham today. Registration was COW1E . Pretty sure that used to be on a Rolls Royce that belonged to Sir Tom Cowie. 

• Like 3

So close to the model name but not quite

stigray.thumb.jpg.0446ccaa6a41c218241e684616d63331.jpg

Unless he's the Stig's American cousin Ray. Or his name is Gray and he has an STI.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2