Vectra v mondeo

Bren

I've found both were identical, but I changed a starter motor, belt tensioner, suspension and it was very tight on a Mondeo. Also the interiors are grim and depressing, especially with Ghia X leather. Grey velour would be better, and I hate grey interiors.

How about a Signum?

vauxhall-signum.jpg

Honda Accord 2.2 ctdi. Get one that is post 2005 for no cracked manifold issue.

Doesn't suffer from DMF failure (as long as you change the clutch as soon as it starts slipping), injectors and pumps don't have issues - just look at the second hand part prices on eBay for evidence. Swirl flaps is only one big, heavy duty butterfly valve (like throttle bodies), vacuum driven too so doesn't fail like most.

Doesn't have DPF either (iirc, certainly doesn't on the civic).

I reckon one of the last decent, long life diesels. First proper Honda designed diesel, massively over engineered and under stressed.

9-3 is a vectra body, but yeah, boot is disappointingly small - especially compared to the vectra.

2.2 is a horrible lump, much rather have the 1.9 16v. Apart from DMF and EGR, they aren't _that_ bad lump. EGR are cheap enough to buy new ones. Low SAPS oil apparently lessens the clogging.

Saab - GM underpinnings, certain parts nigh on impossible to get hold of.

75? - ditto certain parts, and they are as desirable as ebola - sometimes I think the only ones that sell are the ones on here. However, I do like them. But wife does'nt.

A petrol model is'nt really viable as wife does a lot of stop/start driving - it would cost a fortune to run a 2.0 mondeo.

The signum is a 2+2 and we need the extra length an estate brings.

There is an 07 plate vectra in Bolton and a mondeo in Widnes I will enquire about.

Going looking tomorrow - I'll probably bring home something else.

This is mine

post-5712-0-17645400-1470948861_thumb.jpg

1.9 cdti, so far has needed a dmf replacement at £468 (£308 for LUK clutch kit + £160 mates rates labour, he most of a day on it and lost a fingernail.)

It's an SRI so the ride is a bit jarring but it's comfy enough, has loads of kit and is shit hot on the motorway (80mph is 1900rpm).

I'm getting about 680 miles to a tank.

To surmise, vfm wise vectra c is hard to beat.

Is that the 150? I think mine was the 8V 120, it still went ok but a few more horses would have been nice.

Keep seeing Vectras and it reminds me I miss my old one, if I wasn't at breaking point with cars I want to keep I'd start acting on my 3.0 diesel fantasies.

I suppose when you consider it, £470 isn't bad at all to say if you take good care out of it it's got another 80k to go. If you could find one with a failing DMF but otherwise good suitably cheap and get it done you'd have a known good clutch then.

Fly wheel was knocking it's arse off, and as the six speed box is meant to be a bit weak in a 120 i thought i'd bite the bullet. Definitly cheaper than waiting till it's killed the box as well. Annoyingly the friction disc was like new at 91k.

Is that the 150? I think mine was the 8V 120, it still went ok but a few more horses would have been nice.

Keep seeing Vectras and it reminds me I miss my old one, if I wasn't at breaking point with cars I want to keep I'd start acting on my 3.0 diesel fantasies.

It's a 120, to be fair it's surprisingly pokey though. That said before this i was driving a 1600 4 speed cortina and a 1300 no speed fiesta.

It helps that know it's history, mum bought it new (it was a pre-reg, just before the facelift came out. Paid £11,650 for it if memory serves).

She was going to scrap it as the gobshite greasemonkey around the corner quoted £1300 to do the clutch.

I got it done for her, and she said i may as well keep the car as she barely uses it.

Tempted to fuck the cortina off and get a mk2 cavalier now.

Sorry for thread hijack.

Looking at the estates that are available mondeo mkIV's are now cheap.

However, they do not appear to be a robust as the vectra - EGR and glow plugs will cause problems with the vauxhall, however it seems to be pumps and injectors on the mondeo - megabucks and enough to condemn a tatty example to the bridge.

Also I look at what the taxi drivers use - the mondeo is not a popular choice, where the vectra is. Which seems to say quite a bit.

Are my suspicions correct?

Vectras aren't too bad but I don't like the light power steering feel.no wonder they oversteer.SRI diesel was mental.no power on take off,even when you floor it,then it all arrives in one lump and the traction control cuts in.mondeo on the other hand,tatty at hi mileage suspension wears out its rubber bits and the engine (1.8 petrol) gets wheezy if not service irregularly.. mondeo a better drive all round.more performance,better economy (petrol) more comfort, all in all,ford the better car.diesels I know not of apart from Sri veccy but I remember a quote from the motoring press about mondeo st diesel."fast but fragile" nuff said

A nice 07 plate cdti design estate near me private sale £2495.

Problem is book price private sale is £1400. Good look with that one.

I sold a (very) nice one like that for £3595 this time last year - if it's the same one then that might explain their expectation :D