Dollywobbler's Dead Rover 600 - Replacement sorted

dollywobbler

Finally managed to get hold of the seller of the purple Accord V6 coupe. No email, never seems to answer the bloody phone. Finally resorted to text message, in which he revealed the timing belt was last changed at 60,000 miles. It now has 122,000 on the clock. V6 timing belt interval seems to vary between 90k and 105k depending on who you speak to. So, worth a punt?

Please buy it.

I didn't think you were interested so also spoke to him. He will take a smidge over £400. Engine is interference so the belts probably are a priority... As they're now 9 years old.

This week I'm in Cambridge, Watford, London and Southend so have no time for a trip to Cheshire - otherwise I'd have bought it already.

If you buy it then I'll be first in the queue when you've had enough.

I'd buy on condition of the gearbox and not really worry about anything else to be honest, if the box is smooth changing into and out of 2nd gear then its a good one and the gearbox is worth a few quid on its own. ATF needs to be a nice cherry red colour. If its hard changing into 2nd then its probably fucked, clunking into reverse is another bad sign.

Check that it will start again when its warm as well, this is the dodgy main relay that get dry solder joints after a while, common to a lot of Hondas

There are quite afew j30 engines kicking about as they outlast the gearbox so well, so I'd buy it and play cambelt roulette. Gearbox fluid is best off changed to something Z1 compatable, you can buy 20litres of the Mannol ATF for 45 quid from ebay (SiC used in his Laguna)

The owners club is ok, though i got threw out for various alleged minor infringements. The guy who runs it is a coupe nut who runs his own Honda repair and servicing shop. He gives discounts on servicing and is a good source of knowledge on any issues.

http://honda6.ipbhost.com/

I brought mine almost 4 years ago now knowing it had a dodgy gear box and it needed a cam belt so its not like they are really fragile its just that you need to be aware when you buy one.

Pollent filter is an absolute bastard to change as well.

I don't think it's winning me over to be honest. Cambelt roulette is all well and good, until it fails at a critical moment - like when I'm trying to get to a photoshoot or something. The earliest I can physically get out car hunting is next Friday, so I shall try to force myself to be patient.

Oooohhh, what got you lobbed out the club bornite??

It was me.

My 3 grievous infractions were

1. I said "thats fucking brilliant" in a reply to a post. Warning for swearing. Strike 1
  2. Another member asked for opinions on his new maxpower 20" alloys. I posted that his new wheels didn't really suit the car in my opinion (they were fucking awful), but praised his car in general and the work he had done. Criticising other members cars. Strike 2
  3. Complained when the Moderator edited a post of mine without out dropping me a PM to tell me why, I really didn't mind that it was edited just drop me a PM to let me know why so I don't upset anyone again. Questioning moderators. Strike 3 and out.

I know, I'm a fucking rebel.

One who doesn't like shit alloys.

I don't think it's winning me over to be honest. Cambelt roulette is all well and good, until it fails at a critical moment - like when I'm trying to get to a photoshoot or something. The earliest I can physically get out car hunting is next Friday, so I shall try to force myself to be patient.

I'm not a fan of roulette. Otherwise nice cars getting scrapped over a rubber band is a shame. Plus...when you're self employed... One FTP can be a lost client/customer forever.

I really do like that accord. If it was local I'm sure I'd be filling out the v5 about now.

I did look into costs for a belt change. 4.3 hours is the book time, assuming all goes well, which is getting on for £150 in labour before you even start thinking about parts. But then, it is a cheap Accord.

Please buy it.

I didn't think you were interested so also spoke to him. He will take a smidge over £400. Engine is interference so the belts probably are a priority... As they're now 9 years old.

This week I'm in Cambridge, Watford, London and Southend so have no time for a trip to Cheshire - otherwise I'd have bought it already.

If you buy it then I'll be first in the queue when you've had enough.

Where in Cheshire is it?

It was me.

My 3 grievous infractions were

1. I said "thats fucking brilliant" in a reply to a post. Warning for swearing. Strike 1
  2. Another member asked for opinions on his new maxpower 20" alloys. I posted that his new wheels didn't really suit the car in my opinion (they were fucking awful), but praised his car in general and the work he had done. Criticising other members cars. Strike 2
  3. Complained when the Moderator edited a post of mine without out dropping me a PM to tell me why, I really didn't mind that it was edited just drop me a PM to let me know why so I don't upset anyone again. Questioning moderators. Strike 3 and out.

I know, I'm a fucking rebel.

One who doesn't like shit alloys.

try one of the irish bike forums :D got banned for a week for posting a pic of a car while on a trip there (there was bikes also)

also even mentioning them gets warnings :D utterly ridiculous - gets done now to wind them up and land in 'buswalds penetientiary :D

I did look into costs for a belt change. 4.3 hours is the book time, assuming all goes well, which is getting on for £150 in labour before you even start thinking about parts. But then, it is a cheap Accord.

Come to cornwall on holiday and I'll do it for 75 plus bits 😄
  • Like 4

Oh and this only applies for the Honda Accord or any other Hondas bar the nsx

What about a Lexus GS300? The seller of the green one some pages back has FINALLY got back to me. Dread to think how long it'll take to answer my next question...

Come to cornwall on holiday and I'll do it for 75 plus bits

Any chance you can fix my gear box for an extra £50 on top?  ;-)

Seriously thats a great offer, it's a shame your 6 hours away from me.

What about a Lexus GS300? The seller of the green one some pages back has FINALLY got back to me. Dread to think how long it'll take to answer my next question...

It'll be eligible for classic insurance.

• Like 1

DeeJay alerted me to Alfa Romeos. Can't be doing with GTVs, but this sounds tempting. How safe is it to drive a car with knackered from springs? That's one pretty estate.

s-l1600.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfa-Romeo-156-Sportwagon-2-4-JTD-Veloce-FULL-LEATHERS-ELECTRIC-WINDOWS-599ONO-/281930318381

• Like 2