Dave's shonkers - Roffle interception

Dave_Q

All the lights and horn are fixed, it was just that the horn connections had come off. Not sure why that stops the headlight coming on but I've applied some scientific bite work to the spade terminals and they should stay on now.

Number plate on order, will reattach the mudguard and put a bigger jet in the carb and we should be sorted.

• Like 1

Victory.

image.thumb.png.1f6c5cedbf35b9b33c1615905a4b6949.png

The connectors on the horn managed to come off again between home and the garage but the man leant me a screwdriver to sort it. 

I've also booked it in to Chiselspeed in Leeds for a carb setup on the dyno, its rideable but not great and with the carb being tucked away in the frame its a pain to change jets and therefore a mega pain to do it by trial and error.

• Like 7

Yes it is, TBH it might actually be 40 years old already as based on the frame number I reckon it was made in Sep 1983. But unless you shell out to Piaggio for a full certificate of origin, they only put the year on the dating cert.

Hilariously, for the purposes of giving out a registration they decided it is 1/1/83 (hence a Y suffix plate) but for the purposes of getting another years tax out of me they think it was made 31/12/83 (despite the fact that would be an A prefix). A DVLA man tried to explain this to me on the phone when I couldn't tax it as historic this year but I just had to hang up because it made no sense.

So yeah last one for sure, I taxed it in May so from next year £0 rate VED. 

It is an import, or that is to say when I got the parts they had never been UK registered so it was registered as an import. 

This is what I started with, in April 2021. I think the frame had been used for racing and never registered:

IMG_20210406_101936.thumb.jpg.fafb8068c0c6704efc9c2e69c8775f98.jpg

• Like 5

Just had the call from Chiselspeed, the scores on the doors are a fairly depressing sounding 7hp.

The man was very helpful and identified that the main restriction will be my inlet, as I haven't opened up the inlet in the engine case. He reckons maybe 25% more power with that opened up.

Doing so would require the engine stripping again which I'm not that keen for at the moment. There is also a crack on the fly side engine casing so probably the best thing to do is to buy a set of SIP or other aftermarket casings and start again.

Some time in the distant future maybe. I'm quite happy to enjoy my 7hp for now.

• Like 4

• Dave_Q changed the title to Dave's shonkers - Vespa dyno results

Picked up the Vespa this morning. 

Image(9).thumb.jpg.402d829b933ef3a9c69b66f2b0ed5b06.jpg

As they told me on the phone it was doing about 7hp when brought in. They have done the carb setup and also JB welded a crack on the stator side casing and got me up to 8.3hp, which is nice and flat and keeps going to 8000rpm. 

I was hoping for something north of 10hp but its still more than a standard PK125 which has 6hp.

• Dave_Q changed the title to Dave's shonkers - S is for... not Shite, but Still Slightly Shonk

Soz not much of a collection thread, as my M9 just came and drove me over the hill in biblical rain on the M62. 

IMG_20231020_124159.thumb.jpg.6966a36217f120db72d19ec9119439a5.jpg

IMG_20231020_124217.thumb.jpg.1637963db02cebea0ec76fb7f555d1b1.jpg

So yeah. over on @DaveDorsons thread I was alerted to the fact that these mk5 platform cars are getting towards the bottom of the depreciation curve. 
I did start out looking for Golf GTIs but coming from a Quattro A4 I was concerned about traction. @SiC seemed to concur about the GR12ness of quattro. 

I test drove this car and also a Golf with a stage 1 map. The Golf was a bit sheddy so perhaps not the fairest comparison but it could not get the power down even in 3rd on a rainy day in Rochdale.

I did want a 5 door really but sportback S3s were well outside my price range.
This was more than the 2-2.5k that most mk5 GTIs seem to be advertised for, but much, much more car. 

This particular one came with a fat pile of receipts including a clutch and DMF this year, and a cambelt + chain last year. 
I am told it's not been mapped (will check tho) and the only mods are a Ramair induction kit and a res delete. I have the original mid section to go back on if needed and I've scrounged an airbox of my mate who took it off his TT. Although, the airbox is meant to be mega restrictive on these so if it makes a noticeable difference the Ramair can stay. 

Positives, as well as the service history its on recent Michelin PS5 all round, and has not been written off.

Negatives, a couple of bits of damage on the drivers wing and rear bumper, the ride is kinda crashy over bumps and it's very difficult not to drive it everywhere like a total helmet. 

IMG_20231020_124204.thumb.jpg.61d90e327258d3bd6070f972f6d7acd3.jpg

3 minutes ago, Dave_Q said:

This was more than the 2-2.5k that most mk5 GTIs seem to be advertised for, but much, much more car. 

61bhp more of a car out of the factory as a starter! Presumably different turbo and internals to take that extra power too? I.e. remap takes it to a fair bit higher and probably Golf R levels?

Is air filter size even that much of a worry on a Turbo car? Within reason of course but unlike a N/A the ECU can demand the turbo to open up more to get more air in? 

Advisory for "Ticking sound from engine" made me chuckle. Almost certainly direct injection injectors and TADIS. Ime VAG engines, especially 4pot, don't sound particularly nice at idle. 

Bit too modded for what I'd buy but looks a good buy!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Dave_Q said:

the ride is kinda crashy over bumps

Do you think this is as standard or could it be fixed? 

My 182 was unbearable on original dampers and cooksport lowering springs,  but it's actually not bad now it's on new Cup dampers all round and Lesjofors "standard" (i.e. not sport) springs.  

Following with interest, a quattro would make an excellent weapon around here if it can be made comfortable enough.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, SiC said:

61bhp more of a car out of the factory as a starter! Presumably different turbo and internals to take that extra power too? I.e. remap takes it to a fair bit higher and probably Golf R levels?

Is air filter size even that much of a worry on a Turbo car? Within reason of course but unlike a N/A the ECU can demand the turbo to open up more to get more air in? 

Advisory for "Ticking sound from engine" made me chuckle. Almost certainly direct injection injectors and TADIS. Ime VAG engines, especially 4pot, don't sound particularly nice at idle. 

Bit too modded for what I'd buy but looks a good buy!

Yes 265hp standard. This is the BHZ engine code and apparently there are quite a few differences to the GTI/197hp versions. Turbo, intercooler, pistons and possibly a stronger block. A stage 1 map should get you around 300 so near a stock Golf R but at this point I don't think I would go for it.

17 minutes ago, loserone said:

Do you think this is as standard or could it be fixed? 

My 182 was unbearable on original dampers and cooksport lowering springs,  but it's actually not bad now it's on new Cup dampers all round and Lesjofors "standard" (i.e. not sport) springs.  

Following with interest, a quattro would make an excellent weapon around here if it can be made comfortable enough.

A lot of the reviews of the time mention it so I reckon it's like that standard but I'll have a look underneath at some point. 

A less sporty/cheaper option would be an A3 2.0T quattro like this: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202310112892782

Only* 197hp standard but can get to S3 levels with a remap.

Actually Google tells me a Mk6 R is 266hp so basically the same as this. A Mk7 Golf R has 296 and a 7.5 has 306. 

I think a Golf R has more in the way of driver aids but a stage 1 S3 would be about the same on power.

Yes DSG was an option on 8P S3 and MK5 Golf GTI for that matter from the start.

I agree it's not really a car that invokes much passion but I kinda like that, it's a premium* hatchback that just happens to do 0-60 in the same time as an Impreza as a party trick.

I'm no master of driving dynamics but I am sure it is less exciting to get round some corners than lots of other cars, even though I reckon it would do it very fast.

The sad truth is that whatever I drive spends 90% of it's time shuffling children from 1 town to the next so the fact it's an unexciting A3 unless you put your foot down isn't exactly a bad thing for me.

But I agree that the range of colours is mostly pretty sad. Resale silver seems to have been popular along with black and greys.

Sprint blueDog dick red, and Imola yellow are the best colours for me but I wasn't spending enough to be fussy about colour.

1 hour ago, Dave_Q said:

I'm no master of driving dynamics but I am sure it is less exciting to get round some corners than lots of other cars, even though I reckon it would do it very fast.

This is why I think I'd get bored of it quickly. Not because I'm a great driver but more that it can go around corners very fast - capable of going far faster than I would be prepared ever to. So never really pushing the car hard at all. Basically 2nd on the DSG box of the TT MK2 I had was all I ever needed for a-roads up to the legal limit. Flip into 3rd gear due to revs and you're then pretty much doing illegal speeds on any UK road.

I fully can see why this is great as a boring commuting/run around car. For me I guess to hold my attention, it needs a bit more than that. Otherwise I'll get bored and move on. 

It's why I moved onto my Boxster from my TT MK2 only after a year. I have had my Boxster for over 4.5yrs. The Boxster is just as capable but with no electronic aids and RWD, you fundamentally have to respect it and find the limit yourself without the traction control light telling you that you're at the limit. 

The thought of having something practical and fast is tempting again but, for me, I think I need a bit of rarity to make it special and hold my interest. Easy to waste a lot of money keep changing, fixing/sorting and then changing cars!

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, J-T said:

Should be a nice thing to bomb about in. Was it supplied with the obligatory 3 burner phones?

No, this one didn't but the Golf I looked at in Rochdale had 2 Nokias in the driver's side storage thingy

A few days in and all is well in S3 land. 

It's running cold so I've ordered a thermostat, the fuel consumption is pretty shite at around 20mpg but that could be related. 
Also had a fault code for intermittent misfire cylinder 1, I'm guessing a coil pack as they are known for being service items.

Been looking through the service history and it really has had a lot spent over the years, mostly at Audi dealers. 

It's had the oil and cabin filter changed pretty much every year, Haldex fluid has been done in 2012 and 2019, it's a 40k interval so due again next year.

Cambelt I have an invoice in 2015 and a tick in the book in 2016? And I'm sure the seller told me the belt + chain had been done last year but I can't find an invoice for that. 

Generally I feel slightly bad that this service history now falls to me to maintain, what am I supposed to do, print out the ebay invoice for the thermostat and write on it the date I fitted it? 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Dave_Q said:

Generally I feel slightly bad that this service history now falls to me to maintain, what am I supposed to do, print out the ebay invoice for the thermostat and write on it the date I fitted it? 

If that's what you're doing then yes, absolutely.  I'd include the mileage as well personally.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, loserone said:

If that's what you're doing then yes, absolutely.  I'd include the mileage as well personally.  

It is an OEM part FWIW. Good point on the mileage. I guess I can keep the invoices for the fluids and stuff and write "done by owner" or summat in the service book. 

It's either that or keep shelling out to garages for everything it needs which just isn't me - I got quoted £250 to do the thermostat as apparently it's a bit awkward to get to.

Nice spot of de-modifying tonight. 

Here is what I started with:

IMG_20231029_202839.thumb.jpg.81560e47f7f2ffd1d8d8eb32f98a649a.jpg

A Ramair induction kit that TBF isn't bad as these things go, it mounts to various points on the engine and comes with a small enclosure for the cone.

As the car isn't modified or remapped in any way I can't see that this is offering any benefit over the standard setup, maybe in noise.

I actually ended up with 2 of these airbox/engine cover setups, my M9 gave me one off his TT but I still had to buy another one as the turbo elbow bit is different on mine due to where the recirc valve connects. 

IMG_20231029_203649.thumb.jpg.a724f64b350044ba535dd4e6ae4910fa.jpg

The actual parts are the same except the S logo which of course adds eleventy hp.
My mate said his had a Pipercross panel filter so I opened them up to swap it over, turns out both did so I used the cleanest looking one. 

IMG_20231029_204256.thumb.jpg.20de4aba8e46e5f46025e0bc6bd416e1.jpg

Had a bit of a mooch around the airbox, I'm happy this can't really be adding a restriction vs the cone filter. The AFM and pipe into the turbo has an oval cross section but without measuring I'm saying it's the same cross-section.

IMG_20231029_204323.thumb.jpg.27d5b831e31f2971e5c570d2c8ca43e7.jpg

It also has a nifty little heatshield built in.

IMG_20231029_204349.thumb.jpg.f74fe49fcb986a1174b5786d96ee2325.jpg

On taking out the ramair setup it looks like the filter house is far too close to the fan, if not touching already.

IMG_20231029_205837.thumb.jpg.e35b0f050602a48fb9de79be4937e96f.jpg

And the final result.

IMG_20231029_211924.thumb.jpg.ac4284749fb6b63a3eba8b54488bf388.jpg

That inlet tube/boot thing is off the TT and is wrong, it's meant to connect to a scoop in the grill/slam panel. 

Will cost me another £15-20 to get the right one off ebay but I think the ramair should sell for more than all this lot has cost me.

5 minutes ago, SiC said:

My local garage despises doing thermostats on these 2.0TFSi. Iirc on the front and a right bitch to get to. 

Yeah I've watched a few videos, the options are to remove the alternator and get in from the side/underneath, or remove the inlet manifold. And various boost pipes and brackets etc to move either way. A garage quoted me £250 when the part is probably £40-50 to them so they must make it 2-3 hours labour.

I am going to try the alternator method, I guess that taking the inlet off and checking for carbon, sending the injectors off for testing etc is all sensible stuff but as it seems to drive well I'm going to do the minimum to it and maybe take the inlet off for a look next year.

Thermostat done. If I was giving the job a twat rating along the lines of a Haynes spanner rating, I would rate this as the full Piers Morgan.

I did take some pictures attempting to show the lack of access to the thermostat but they all just look like the sort of super close up pictures of engine parts my 5 year old might take.

Went in the alternator way, was pretty happy when I got the alternator off in about 30min but it was a false summit. The main boost pipe needs to come off which is a right pain to wrangle out the front and also 2 of the 3 pipes connected to the stat are metal and bolted to the block with bolts you can barely see. They're triple square and I managed to round one off and had to take the head off it with the powerfile.

I spent about 4 hours on it total. I think you'd probably be better off taking the inlet off anyway or maybe even removing the bumper and slam panel so you have a fighting chance of seeing what you're doing.

Anyway I'm away with work tomorrow and Friday so the test drive will have to wait till Saturday.

Glad I send it into the garage when I had it on my TT 2.0 TFSi then 😂

Stats seem to go lazy and open up too soon before they fail completely open/closed. So they work but just open up at the wrong temperature.

1 minute ago, SiC said:

Glad I send it into the garage when I had it on my TT 2.0 TFSi then 😂

Stats seem to go lazy and open up too soon before they fail completely open/closed. So they work but just open up at the wrong temperature.

I'm hoping this is the case as I will be less than pleased if this doesn't fix it. 

I did try a couple of garages, quoted around £250 which I now understand is pretty reasonable, but the ones I spoke to were booked up for 2-3 weeks. It finally stopped raining today so I just went for it.

• Like 2

Thermostat definitely done the trick, sits at 90 and gets there relatively quickly. Has improved fuel consumption slightly but only from 18-20mpg to 20-22. Looking at Fuelly this is within the normal range, 30+ would be achievable on longer runs I think.

I started trying to fit a reversing camera, it was meant to replace the number plate light but the light bit didn't work so it's going back. 

I also decided to replace the number plates and went for these shorter pressed chav plates (that's what my wife called them at least)

IMG_20231108_142209.thumb.jpg.c586e28499f90e54725d8d4afc866f9c.jpg

IMG_20231108_142225.thumb.jpg.c4bf6367da68d90fbc5251cc293b0eb5.jpg