Six Cylinders Motoring Notes

Six-cylinder

2 hours ago, beko1987 said:

But I got to drive the lancia trevi

20211022_153008.thumb.jpg.5c944096e2af7b65004d5d31565c8aed.jpg

Which bar some less than fab brakes (although they improved as we went) was brilliant!

I had the same experience with the brakes on my extensive* test drive after doing the header tank.

They were, well, they weren't. 

29 minutes ago, chaseracer said:

Do I espy a Bertone 308...?

image.png

😎

Was sporting a slight trouser tent as I slid into it to look for the engine cover release which turned out was nowhere near where I was looking anyway 😂

35 minutes ago, Crackers said:

I had the same experience with the brakes on my extensive* test drive after doing the header tank.

They were, well, they weren't. 

A van swung out in front of me and it did stop... Took a pretty big shove though 😂 Driving back in the Xsara I nearly put my face into the steering wheel pulling off mums drive

51 minutes ago, chaseracer said:

Do I espy a Bertone 308...?

image.png

😎

My favourite Ferrari. A few years ago at Brooklands I was on the x1/9 club pitch enjoying lunch and reading the paper when a smartly dressed older woman came up to talk. She’d had her x1/9 from new, I said that mine was a family from new car too etc. She said that she hadn’t been able to bring it to the event as her husband had wanted to bring his car ( to which she then pointed ). A very nice blue 308GTB behind us.

1 hour ago, richardmorris said:

You are looking a little radio 1 DJ 1976  in that photo Beko. Very Dave Lee travis.

I think a 'like' is missing there. DLT delayed the news once to finish coverage of a building destruction. Qual-i-tee.

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Shock News, Six-cylinder sells a car!
52 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

Shock News, Six-cylinder sells a car!

Today the red Manta was collected. The really good news is it has gone to an enthusiast yearning to buy a Manta and restore it. He had all ready bought some spares ready to take this car on.

IMG_20211023_132122 broad.jpg

IMG_20211023_134520 broad.jpg

There you are, proof that not all lunatics are locked up.

21 hours ago, anonymous user said:

I have a mate who rarely drives with it off. Never puts more than £20 in to save money (not sure how that works)

I do that.  I calculated years ago, when I had more cars than I do now and fuel was about the same price, that if I filled the entire fleet up from empty I'd have over £1,000-'orth of fuel sat there.  Since then I only stick a tenner in at a time unless I'm going somewhere further away than Norwich.

17 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

I do that.  I calculated years ago, when I had more cars than I do now and fuel was about the same price, that if I filled the entire fleet up from empty I'd have over £1,000-'orth of fuel sat there.  Since then I only stick a tenner in at a time unless I'm going somewhere further away than Norwich.

I dislike the time I spend fuelling and therefore if I have to fuel its always a full tank, if its my car. I also feel even if the car is going into winter storage less air space in the tank equals less rust. I know petrol deteriorates with time but not in 6 months. Also getting a car out of storage and finding it has plenty of fuel is a delight.

I took a mock motorcycle theory test 3 times on 2 sites this afternoon because next year I want to do my theory and CBT so I can ride my 125cc scooter. Not good with no prep I failed 42 out 50, 46 out of 50  second time, then 50 out of 50 third time. I am going to need to do some more learning before I do it for real.

Questions I remember that caught me out were braking distance for motorcycles, 1.0mm min tread and avoiding oil in a bus stop.

Are these on line free mock tests like the real one?

Motorcycle Theory Test.jpg

51 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

I took a mock motorcycle theory test 3 times on 2 sites this afternoon because next year I want to do my theory and CBT so I can ride my 125cc scooter. Not good with no prep I failed 42 out 50, 46 out of 50  second time, then 50 out of 50 third time. I am going to need to do some more learning before I do it for real.

Questions I remember that caught me out were braking distance for motorcycles, 1.0mm min tread and avoiding oil in a bus stop.

Are these on line free mock tests like the real one?

Motorcycle Theory Test.jpg

I cant (yet?) comment on the motorcycle side of things

but for what its worth I found the official government Car mock theory test and their practice package you can pay for, which I do recommend, https://www.safedrivingforlife.info/shop/ I found it very helpful for studying and revising for my Theory test)

they where pretty much exactly like the actual car Theory test I ended up taking :) 

they mock tests even have a "test view" button as above to make the User interface look exactly like the actual test (which was done on some windows 7 PC for what thats worth)

https://www.gov.uk/take-practice-theory-test

53 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Do you need to do the theory test with CBT now?  You didn't when I did mine.

heres a nifty flow chart on the DVLA website for what you need to do to get various motorcycle licences

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/771244/how-to-get-a-motorcycle-licence.pdf

I think @Six-cylinder only needs a CBT to run around on his 125cc (with L plates and only until the CBT expires mind)

he only needs the Theory test (and also practical)  if he plans to go the full 9 yards and get a full licence for that class of Motorcycle (but if your going that far, id get a full sized motorcycle and just get a full A licence :) )

42 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Do you need to do the theory test with CBT now?  You didn't when I did mine.

5 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

heres a nifty flow chart on the DVLA website for what you need to do to get various motorcycle licences

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/771244/how-to-get-a-motorcycle-licence.pdf

I think @Six-cylinder only needs a CBT to run around on his 125cc (with L plates and only until the CBT expires mind)

he only needs the Theory test (and also practical)  if he plans to go the full 9 yards and get a full licence (but if your going that far, id get a full sized motorcycle and just get a full A licence :) )

Yes it seems strange not to have to do any theory before taking to the road, but the only thing I can find is an eyesight test as part of the CBT training.

My plan is to try the Aprilia 125 scooter on the road and if I like it get my full licence. If I don't like it the Aprilia will be for sale. I have Grandfather rights for a 50cc and had a Honda City Express on the road but did not like it because of the traffic passing me. Saying that I also have a 1979 Peugeot 50cc moped with pedals that I plan to put on the road. The difference with that is I will ride it in a group with my National Autocycle club full of old duffers in yellow vests with a van behind!

Another question a quick scan of the website did not reveal is if I do my CBT on a CVT scooter am I ok to ride a manual 125cc bike?

DSCN3413 broad.jpg

IMG_20191011_103858 broad.jpg

You'll probably find the 103 is faster flat out than the City Express - those things are quite tightly restricted.

I don't think the manual / auto thing applies for CBT - most of the riding schools use automatic scooters for the 50cc bikes and the 16-year-olds are then going out and buying 50cc manual "trial" type bikes, and I'd imagine the same applies to 125s.  Most riding schools will let you hire a generic manual 125 for the day though.

One thing I'm not sure about: are you allowed to take a 125 on L plates on the motorway now, since they changed the rules about learners on motorways?

as @wuvvum said from a brief bit of research I did, the whole manual vs Automatic thing, does not really apply to 2 wheeled conveyances, so you can do your CBT on a CVT without any gearbox type restrictions :) 

7 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

One thing I'm not sure about: are you allowed to take a 125 on L plates on the motorway now, since they changed the rules about learners on motorways?

from what I can tell I dont think that applies to motorcycles, I mean even in that rule, Learners are only allowed on Motorways when they are in a Dual control car with an ADI, a normal person cant take a previsional licence holder on a motorway still

I feel guilty passing my bike test in 1982 on a DT175MX, bloody hard work now.

I took a friend on his 600 a few years ago to do the unrestricted bit, what a farce. I had to ride the unrestricted bike there and deliver it to where he had ridden the same bike for his restricted test and fit L Plates for him to go through exactly the same test. He was unlikely to open the throttle any further on the test than he had before, what a load of bollocks.

36 minutes ago, Snake Charmer said:

I feel guilty passing my bike test in 1982 on a DT175MX, bloody hard work now.

I took a friend on his 600 a few years ago to do the unrestricted bit, what a farce. I had to ride the unrestricted bike there and deliver it to where he had ridden the same bike for his restricted test and fit L Plates for him to go through exactly the same test. He was unlikely to open the throttle any further on the test than he had before, what a load of bollocks.

I should have done my bike test when I was 17 but my parents encouraged me to have a car instead. That was when you could ride a 250cc on L plates and a RD250 was the apple of my eye.

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes