Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - It is here!

Six-cylinder

Today was the first move to get the Sigma back on the road.

The first cylinder head is off and shows no catastrophic damage.

Next week the mech will come back and lift the other head, fingers crossed.

IMG_20240717_191233 broad.jpg

IMG_20240717_191347 broad.jpg

IMG_20240717_191358 broad.jpg

18 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

Today was the first move to get the Sigma back on the road.

The first cylinder head is off and shows no catastrophic damage.

Next week the mech will come back and lift the other head, fingers crossed.

IMG_20240717_191233 broad.jpg

IMG_20240717_191347 broad.jpg

IMG_20240717_191358 broad.jpg

Oof, at least you can see where it's leaked pretty clearly.  I'd say likely the head was warped but know you had them checked.  Worth making absolutely sure the block is flat before anything goes back together.  

Let's hope it was just something daft but annoying like a flake of rust that settled in the wrong spot while it was being assembled that was responsible for it not sealing properly.

29 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Oof, at least you can see where it's leaked pretty clearly.  I'd say likely the head was warped but know you had them checked.  Worth making absolutely sure the block is flat before anything goes back together.  

Let's hope it was just something daft but annoying like a flake of rust that settled in the wrong spot while it was being assembled that was responsible for it not sealing properly.

I have never previously had the heads off. The problem stems from a rubber hose that runs cooling water through the oil filter housing leaking. Unfortunately I was on the A41 dual carriageway and by the time the temp gauge told me there was something wrong I still had 2/3 mile to get to a safe place to stop as there is no hard shoulder. The AA man put a hose on, but it was pumping water out of the header tank.

IMG_20240324_161621 broad.jpg

1 minute ago, Six-cylinder said:

I have never previously had the heads off. The problem stems from a rubber hose that runs cooling water through the oil filter housing leaking. Unfortunately I was on the A41 dual carriageway and by the time the temp gauge told me there was something wrong I still had 2/3 mile to get to a safe place to stop as there is no hard shoulder. The AA man put a hose on, but it was pumping water out of the header tank.

IMG_20240324_161621 broad.jpg

Oh, my bad then.  I had in my head that this car had already had head gasket issues so they'd already been off.  Ignore me then!  Hopefully it will all be good with everything cleaned up, light skim if needed and fresh gaskets.

• Like 1

Today the Morris 1300 has been my car of choice and it is delightful to drive.

I have just topped the fuel tank after 183 miles and found it is doing 32.4 mpg.

IMG_20240724_143725 broad.jpg

31 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

Today the Morris 1300 has been my car of choice and it is delightful to drive.

I have just topped the fuel tank after 183 miles and found it is doing 32.4 mpg.

IMG_20240724_143725 broad.jpg

An car. Wheeltrims tho?

On 18/07/2024 at 21:20, Zelandeth said:

I had in my head that this car had already had head gasket issues so they'd already been off

That's the Carlton 2.0i estate.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, High Jetter said:

An car. Wheeltrims tho?

You now know what to buy me for my Birthday!🤣

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, hairnet said:

They're 15"    ,  11/ 1300 is 12"   and 12" tyres are hard to get .

i know , however ...a 13" Maxi wheel fits , and  175 70 13 tires are only 26 quid from F1 autocenre.. they might fit  and clear the rear trailing arm . And 13" Poundland trims are available ..

I have at home two sets of 1100 12” wheels, a set of steels with town and country tyres and a set of alloys!

Unreal that Northampton Crossley. To think the state of it when restoration started, it had languished in a scrapyard since 1963!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Inspector Morose said:

Unreal that Northampton Crossley. To think the state of it when restoration started, it had languished in a scrapyard since 1963!

North on the A5 from Milton keynes to Towcester at rush hour. 28 mph flat out, down to 17 mph needing a gear change on a gradient! I was part of the 33 passenger load.

It is in lovely condition now.

IMG_20240725_165241 broad.jpg

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Who left their frying pan at the FoD?

Colins Mercedes is pushing water out of the header tank.

The radiator is getting hot at the top hose end top only.

IMG_20240726_194649 broad.jpg

Second head came of the Sigma today. It is not wrecked but a straight edge does show a bit of distortion so they has gone to a machine shop to see if they can be skimmed flat.

IMG_20240726_121519 broad.jpg

• Like 7

Those look like they have not been off in a long time, if indeed ever.  Did you manage to find a belt kit for it?  It will definitely need a new timing belt if nothing else.