Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - FoD Open Weekend 15/16 June

Six-cylinder

1 hour ago, Eyersey1234 said:

Teal is a well travelled boat, sounds like you have a lot of fun with her

Surreal experience going to Scotland, it only took ½ hour longer than normal, towing it with my Chelsea tractor and we had our boat in Glasgow. The first stage was organised from Glasgow to Falkirk with a flotilla of 80 boats of all shapes and sizes.

Then siting in our boat looking at the Falkirk Wheel in the rain while drinking whisky and eating short bread, moored beside it. The next day the trough we were in when we made the assent was huge.

Then parking outside a restaurant in the centre of Edinburg, that was quite a trip.

P1120605 broad.jpg

• Like 8

.....I was researching some Citroen Visa 14TRS stuff ...

Oh, do I hear a plan hatching? Go for it Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No I have told senior management that I am not going to go for it!

That’s a shame. But sometimes sense has to be sensible.
Which is why I’ve been enquiring about the blue 1.4 romahome thats on the visa forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Six-cylinder said:

When I was researching some Citroen Visa 14TRS stuff I clicked on Parkers site and was suprised to be staring at a picture of my own car!

Parkers picture of 17RD.jpg

Parkers pic 2 17RD.jpg

Is it because it featured in a Bauer Media publication? Parkers is owned by them.

• Like 2

I had a bit of a tussle today with a French stick today, it said it did not want to ride in an Italian car!

The reason I took the 156 Sports Wagon out today is it had been standing for a month and I wanted to give it a run. I was concerned it would have a flat battery but it was just fine starting instantly.

Since parting with my AX11 I have been driving around in the 156 saloon and driving them back to back showed me the gear change on the Sportwagon has lost its spring to centre so it will have to go back for that to be sorted.

IMG_20200110_124229 broad.jpg

We have owned Alfas for 25 years on and off starting with a 1976 Alfetta 1.6, which unfortunately is one of the few cars I don't have a picture of. The following year we got this Giulietta 1.8 at Mrs6C insistence.

Alfa Giulietta 1.8 01.jpg broad v3.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

We have owned Alfas for 25 years on and off starting with a 1976 Alfetta 1.6, which unfortunately is one of the few cars I don't have a picture of. The following year we got this Giulietta 1.8 at Mrs6C insistence.

Alfa Giulietta 1.8 01.jpg broad v3.jpg

Looked a lot better back then, admittedly. 

1 minute ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Looked a lot better back then, admittedly. 

I am not sure what you are saying, this is not the Giulietta 2.0 we have now? 

Or are you saying older Alfas looked better because the 156 is a stunning looking car. Even moderns like the current Gulia and Giulietta look great in a way current Audi s and BMW s have forgotten how to do. 

1 minute ago, Six-cylinder said:

....are you saying older Alfas looked better ....

This.

Alfas were somehow more noticeable to me back then.

Not sure about the current Alfa generation. Yes, the 156/159/166 genre look alright at certain angles, but they exist in an age where all cars (except SUVs, obviously) are generally aerodynamic, and blandly so.

10 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

This.

Alfas were somehow more noticeable to me back then.

Not sure about the current Alfa generation. Yes, the 156/159/166 genre look alright at certain angles, but they exist in an age where all cars (except SUVs, obviously) are generally aerodynamic, and blandly so.

156s are stunning from any angle, this was my first one which I had over 10 years ago and I am still not bored with them.

Alfa 156 at Burghley House.jpg broad.jpg

DSCN2902 broad.jpg

P1030829 broad.jpg

The gearchange on my c5 lost its spring and occasionally needed two attempts moving the lever to get out of gear. One of the gear linkage cables had worn through and rusted. Both replaced at the same time. Not good for a five year old car with 40,000miles! 

2 hours ago, richardmorris said:

The gearchange on my c5 lost its spring and occasionally needed two attempts moving the lever to get out of gear. One of the gear linkage cables had worn through and rusted. Both replaced at the same time. Not good for a five year old car with 40,000miles! 

When we bought the Sportwagon 5 years ago the first thing we had to do is sort out the stiff gear change and the reluctance to go into 5/6 gears. Fortunately it was all external but the car ended up with a 5 speed gear-knob on a six speed box.

Coming home today I spotted Mrs6C coming the other way on the Buckingham ring road so I waved enthusiastically,  as the red ZX got closer I realised it was a hatch, M reg and not Mrs6C driving it!

I have got to the point where there are so few ZXs about I assume a red one locally must have come off our drive, but it was still there when I got home.

IMG_20200112_143835 broad.jpg

21 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

Coming home today I spotted Mrs6C coming the other way on the Buckingham ring road so I waved enthusiastically,  as the red ZX got closer I realised it was a hatch, M reg and not Mrs6C driving it!

I have got to the point where there are so few ZXs about I assume a red one locally must have come off our drive, but it was still there when I got home.

:D:D:D

trevor.jpg

45 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

And that your honour, is the case for the defence of why mr six cyl was spotted waving at pretty young blondes.

Been there, old mate of mine had a blue Corsa , saw him scream up the road and pull up sharpish behind me at some lights I was sat at. 

I Flipped him the bird, and made other rude gestures , He didn't respond. 

I pulled away, and looked at the reg number.

It wasn't my mate.  

Another dull day with wind and rain so an ideal day for giving a convertible a run out!

I have not said anything about Mercedes CLK convertible since I got in November because it has sat around doing nothing. It has not turned a wheel for a month so I thought it was time it did to do todays 60 miles for errands. It started up right away on its own battery and drives well, just the sidelight failed warning light to annoy me and I have looked and it is a bit more than a bulb as the holder is melted away.

While most of the errands were boring work stuff I did manage to get in a trip to my favourite garage to take them a new fuel gauge sender I had ordered and 20 LTR of petrol for the blue AX14TRS. Slow progress they have had it running but the carb just filled up again with muck so they are in the process of cleaning out the tank.

The 306 convertible is currently grounded as some of the stitching that holds the plastic rear window in the hood has bust open on the left hand side. I have ordered “Stormsure” which claims to be a Flexible and waterproof repair adhesive. I have also ordered some red strong thread and Mrs6C has offered to sew it back in for me.

14 days into 2020 and no purchases!

IMG_20200114_143057 broad.jpg

IMG_20200112_143906 broad.jpg