Rover 25 GTI - *flashback*

Jim Bell

Just had it back to the place that fitted the tyre. As they were nearly closing up and the bays were empty, they took the front wheels off and three of them compared sides by eye.

After lots of tripple chin stroking, moving around and squinting, the consensus is that "everything looks about right".

The advice from said professionals is that "its most likely the strut, the bottom arm or the hub bent.  Change the lot."

Cheers!

Add a drop link too I suppose.

If you've spent a grand on the car already, I would be inclined to spend a little more to see it back on the road, particularly if the cosmetics can be left for while (no point it being shiny in this weather!)

And the next time someone walks up the car park ramp, just hit the fucker.

^^^ I agree. Just the first bit though. This isn't a car for bangernomics and bridging, its too good, and unusual for that.

Maybe some sort of car bra is in order, made from lots of layers of bubble wrap... would hide the grazes and act as a crumple zone for the next wobbling fool's legs.

If you've spent a grand on the car already, I would be inclined to spend a little more to see it back on the road, particularly if the cosmetics can be left for while (no point it being shiny in this weather!)

And the next time someone walks up the car park ramp, just hit the fucker.

I tend to agree. Apart from the last part.  Cant be arsed with the feds.  Theyve never been anything but arseholes to me so  I'd probably end up on a attempted murder wrap.

Like everyone says, its not a great deal of work to put right. So lets do that.

. Apart from the last part.  Cant be arsed with the feds.  Theyve never been anything but arseholes to me so  I'd probably end up on a attempted murder wrap.

Yes best not to get them involved,  many years ago I was following a car taking a right turn, a group of school kids stopped waiting to cross the junction and when I entered the junction one kid just set off and walked straight out ignoring the fact his friends where still waiting, 

I braked and tooted and he shit himself while tripping onto my wing and bonnet then he ran away,  

I went straight to the police station to report this and to cut a long story short I got cautioned for driving without care and attention :shock:

fookin pedestrians need to take a test. 

Looks an easy fix so bash on :-D

^^^ I agree. Just the first bit though. This isn't a car for bangernomics and bridging, its too good, and unusual for that.

Maybe some sort of car bra is in order, made from lots of layers of bubble wrap... would hide the grazes and act as a crumple zone for the next wobbling fool's legs.

bubble wrap FTW- introducing the NEW A/S Rover 25 Cactus

The advice from said professionals is that "its most likely the strut, the bottom arm or the hub bent.  Change the lot."

Sound advice - and it may be possible to acquire a cheap, second-hand set to save a few pennies.

Indeed. I've found some second hand but polybushed bottom arms (upgrade!), second hand strut, some new but cheap drop links and an indicator too.

It's now the most expensive car I've ever owned. And I'm officially broke. Hopefully everything lines up once switched.

rUnuT2c.png

Wall of death.

The 600 is halfway round the left hand turn as this pic is taken.

Retard Ped-egg was on the left hand side of the ramp, so I saw him very late.

Shell damage investigation and Parts exchange began and were completed today.

A new strut, bottom arm, drop link thing, tie rod, indicator and screen wash resevoir were fitted. Some of these bits sorted the suspension geometry, the others were replaced with safety in mind.

Get her up!

XmmvQcm.jpg

Headlight appature thing has been compromised by the impact.

JMAFT5o.jpg

2khezis.jpg

A prybar and medium adjusting hammer were utilised to modify the shape and angle of some of the metal in question.

GXlCfHJ.jpg

MrDUMA7.jpg

More hammering gave the interior sections a much more favorable profile:

PUeK05Z.jpg

Sad car has a rest.

hTZMv6k.jpg

The snapped plastic mounts from the headlight were repaired with careful use of a BFO soldering iron and the headlight was refitted and adjusted for aim:

vBElHok.png

imy0Ayo.png

The results are far from perfect, but its back on the road, and back in use.

I'm happy with it.

Theres not many garages that would take a job on if you asked them to "just try and hammer the fucker a bit, see if it'll get back normalish". So as usual, I have nothing but positive things to say about my local independent.

0uRtc10.png

Running total :

£1145.46

+

Tie bar - £21

Strut stabaliser link - £7.90

Strut - £20

Polybushed bottom arms - £34.50

Screenwash tank - £20

Indicator - £5

Labour - £100 =

£1353.86

Cheers all.

good effort!!!! I reckon with a bit of fannying around with aerosols you could be looking almost unmarked again for like £20 or something.

You sir, obviously have not seen the thread with my last attempt at car painting in it. And the bumper is still snapped in a couple of places.

I know what you mean though. Little effort to get back handsome. #dougong 

If a good, correct colour bumper comes up when Ive got a bit more money, I might be tempted to swap it.  It'll do as is for now though.

As I say, I will keep thee updated but transport yo is out of the question for the moment, 

I only hashtagged you because with a bit of effort you'll be handsome again too man.  Stop thinking I'm pestering you about bumpers. 

top work!! 

i'm pleased to see this back on the road, and a propper as repair too, especially as Mr B went to hell and back getting the OMGHGF sorted.

it is such a lovely looking little thing too, i really, really liked my R25, and miss it still.

it had HGF, and when it came back with a new gasket it was still over heating and pressurising the water jacket, i now believe it was the ruddy saab valve and i lost patients with it an got rid.... such a shame!!

it had HGF, and when it came back with a new gasket it was still over heating and pressurising the water jacket, i now believe it was the ruddy saab valve and i lost patients with it an got rid.... such a shame!!

So many people have probably been undone by the same mate. Shame yours was a Saabvalve victim.

it was a super little thing. comfortable and nice to look at, it was a 5 door in thaiti (really navy) blue with alloys and spotlamps, no sunroof or a/c and keep fit windows!! NX02GNZ... wonder if its still going?

its a shitty little valve with saab written on it that works to bypass the thermostat to allow the heater to warm up quickly, unfortunately the flap valve thing inside breaks off and it blocks the thermostat and stops the water circulating. the kettle series then boils up and overheats, and the car then gets condemned...

its a shitty little valve with saab written on it that works to bypass the thermostat to allow the heater to warm up quickly, unfortunately the flap valve thing inside breaks off and it blocks the thermostat and stops the water circulating. the kettle series then boils up and overheats, and the car then gets condemned...

This^

Shitter is, if you dont know about it, you may skim the head, change the HG and then just cook it again immediately.  They did change the design to something more long lived, but they must have done for a lot of K Series's.

Lots of info here:

http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=397782