SambaS in AlpineLE Oh-dearage!

SambaS

I think the last haul of panels came from Czech but unsure about this sill, have a quarter panel lined up although it's currently on the Cinnamon GL, that's gonna get a NOS panel as its worth doing a proper job of.

4x doors in pipeline, seats too.

• 1 month later...

and then I can haz sill

WP_20150221_017.jpg

WP_20150222_008.jpg

WP_20150222_009.jpg

Held on with Frost panel fastners along the top edge to bring the two panels together nice and tight to be welded.

Top edge is now welded, although I have to finish off to make it continuous. The bottom edge is plug welded in the same style as the original spots. Currently held on at each end for me to finish doing!

Then rain happened so the power went away.. We (Stu) went and fitted a new bottom ball joint. This was not straight forward as the old one had already been damaged so the tool wouldn't undo it.

Off came the hub, into the house after plans B through to E failed and flat edges were ground into the balljoint, it was then held in a vice and we twatted the hub until it came undone.

WP_20150222_012.jpg

WP_20150222_011.jpg

Also got new gear links fitted, and a brake overhaul with new hoses

WP_20150222_013.jpg

New bush^ old bush v

WP_20150222_015.jpg

This car's future is hanging in the balance due to the extent of the damage from the rear end shunt.

PICT3669.jpg

PICT3679.jpg

PICT3688.jpg

PICT3623.jpg

PICT3682.jpg

PICT3685.jpg

It needs a new boot floor, a complete offside inner wheelarch and all associated panels, as well as the rear panel and outer rear quarter. Also until all the bent stuff is removed it's unsure whether the stressed areas like the roof will return to normal (with some persuasion).

But if anyone can do it Stu's the man!

He had it going the same day, clutch freed off... she starts and drives!

Massive thanks for helping me out with my shed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm Stu as mentioned in this ongoing saga...!

Yes, it probably was a car used for business of some sort, don't think it had led a particularly cosseted life in it's brief two years on the road. N/S/F front door skin had already been replaced, and the rad expansion bottle PRV had been taped together in a futile effort to retain coolant!   

The car had sat in the workshop with the rear quarter window removed for 33 years (which took me and SambaS about 3 mins to refit!) The interior was covered in black dust, which i think was settled out diesel soot, from moving the trucks in and out. There was also a bit of mould in the mix for good measure.

Cleaning technique utilised household CIF and a nailbrush, and 1001 upholstery cleaner on the cloth. The carpets will need to come out on a hot day for their turn. 

First of all, great work on the blue 'un. Amazing to see you keeping the old girl on the road - it deserves a decent owner and you're clearly the man for the job.

As for the cinnamon Alpine, that's just something else. Sat since 82, but survived until now. It needs to live, end of. Looks like it's future's bright too. Looking forward to the next installment!