La cinq-cent dix

Ratdat

I love this thread so much I got that thing where your enthusiasm for something convinces you that other people are bound to be just as interested so I told my mom all about it last night on the phone, describing the pictures and EVERYTHING.

She's very polite and was still there when I finished, but I suspect she did the ironing or watched Holby city or something while I was on.

I'm just showing Matt now.

I love this thread so much I got that thing where your enthusiasm for something convinces you that other people are bound to be just as interested so I told my mom all about it last night on the phone, describing the pictures and EVERYTHING.

I did the same to Lana when the thread was only a few pages long, showing her all the pictures and the epic road trip to collect. I fully expected her to share my enthusiasm, as she has some interest in cars.

I felt rather deflated when her reply was along the lines of "Why did he go to so much trouble for that?"

Oh, I have NEWS! My very first bit of plating! The SSS throttle linkage...

post-121-0-11110300-1403860747_thumb.jpg

I had a bit of faffing about, including wiring it all up wrong to start with(duh), problems with the air pump and power supply but for a first effort I'm pretty pleased how it looks. There's a few issues including a bit that didn't plate at all, some poor passivate adhesion and a rough finish in some small bits but in all cases I know what the problem is so hopefully the next run should be OK. Overall, it's come out way better than I could have hoped and looks exactly like the original finish. RESULT!

I'd post up some more pics but Botophucket seems to be broken so it'll have to wait. Once i have the process fully sorted, I'll post up a fully detailed how-to.

I told my mom all about it last night on the phone, describing the pictures and EVERYTHING.

She's very polite and was still there when I finished, but I suspect she did the ironing or watched Holby city or something while I was on.

I'm just showing Matt now.

Good idea - do you think he might do the ironing too?

I've just read this from the start and as said many times it's a great read.

Awesome work and skillz there as well as a gr9 collection.

Top work Ed, it'd be nice to see this and your new Cherry Europe at some point.

Just give me a shout when you're likely to be in the area  :)

Oooooooooooh. Shiny.

MOAR shiney shite. I think I've cracked it now. The yellow passivate seems to be adhering properly now. This is the brake master cylinder mounting plate...

Picture1150.jpg

This is the rather pretty but lethally toxic chemical brew that adds the yellow finish. Ingredients include; Chromium Trioxide, Hydroflouric Acid and Nitric Acid. 

Hydroflouric Acid. Yikes!  :shock:  I've just ordered some bigger and better gloves.

Picture1140.jpg

Just throwing this in, Plenty of parts and seems to know how to charge foe them too!

Absolutely wonderful thread, Thoroughly enjoying it.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/nissan/other/auction-745105450.htm

Also might be of some use

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/SearchResults.aspx?searchString=datsun+1600&rptpath=1-&type=Search&searchType=1&generalSearch_keypresses=11&generalSearch_suggested=0

Mmm, nice. My cousin does that for a living. (The plating). He has quite a lot of paperwork to do because it's so toxic ;)

Glad you've found the correct method, next up build a tank big enough to dip the shell in!

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Not much more to report as I'm still doing bodywork on the Pony (one side finished!) but I have been steadily cracking on with the plating. I think I have it cracked now as I'm getting fairly reliable results. I've started doing some of the bits that need a blue or clear passivate finish...

Picture1734.jpg

Re-plating the horn body is a bit of a gamble as it's still got all of the coil and contact breaker mechanism inside. It doesn't look to have damaged anything so hopefully if i clean the contacts it'll work!

As for the Pony, I'll maybe put up a thread about it when it's back on the road later this month as I'm a bit busy at the moment. I did treat it to a set of wheels. I got these off of Ebay for £140 BIN, which might seem a lot of some old slot mags but they are brand spanking new, never used old stock and the guy even gave me two sets of chrome wheel nuts to go with them! They are made by Aleycat too which is a bit unusual. Smartens it up a bit I reckon...

Picture1146.jpg

• 3 months later...

Is this Datsun finished yet?

Should we expect to see it in the concours bit at the NEC next month?

Has Ratdat been trapped under a massive roll of mig wire?

Updates! Autoshite needs updates!

I wish... but no. It's not. 

I have been very busy with this though...

Picture2204.jpg

Thge Pony has been a ton more work than I expected but it's mostly done. I have to finish rebuilding all of the brakes and am waiting for the fuel tank to come back from the blasters so that I can paint and re-install it. The delay in 510 proceedings has actually been a good thing as I need to save quite a bit of money to get the 510 bodyshell stripped and de-rusted (blasted or dipped). The only work I have been doing on it is plating components and fastners, which are about 80% done now.

I was going to lay in to the 510 and butcher my other one for it's boot floor and rear quarters but I have had a change of heart and thought it'd be more sensible to get it blasted or dipped first to see the full extent of the rot before i go sacrificing, what is my favourite car as a parts donor! If it turns out that the rear end is beyond redemption then so be it but I think it makes sense to see if I can repair what's there first.

What's happening with the pony when it's done?? It looks lush.

I'm going to run it until late spring then I will do a little more work on it to make it mega nice and put it up for sale. Hopefully it'll give me a large chunk towards getting my 510 painted in a proper paintshop rather than me having to do it at home. The paint on the Pony came out ok but it's such a ballache to do and with the 510 I have to paint it inside an out.

• 5 months later...