19 Years of Tin Snail - Back to normality

dollywobbler

Problem is, 2CVs varied in exact dimensions even from the factory. People who restore a lot of them have noticed just how different two identical, never-restored 2CVs can be.

I was going to comment earlier asking if new panels are made to slightly different specs than original or if even the factory had to bugger about sometimes to make things fit. I can't say I'm terribly surprised that two seemingly identical 2CV's can have their differences. Shame about the rot creeping in already. Still want a 2CV...

Were the B-post bases replaced/repaired? If so, worth sending a pic to your man in the Pennines and asking what he suggests. If not, it's just a bit of existing metal which may have looked ok but wasn't, so time for the rotary wire brush, some more etch-primer, stonechip and paint.

Keep an eye on other bits to make sure this is an isolated case, otherwise a few weeks on salted roads followed by a balmy Spring day could have consequences! 

Too many restorers think cars will be locked away in heated garages, driven carefully on club outings in Summer. From what you've said earlier in the thread this isn't the case here, but it's a caution to others who have such work done. 

I think you need to go round poking it with your screwdriver. Better to find any problems now and fix them.

Ben

If rust stains have appeared within a few days, the paint's thin/porous enough to show any other dodgy areas after a month on salty roads. Poking newish paint with a sharp thing shouldn't be necessary unless there's some confusion to whether it's metal or mastic under the paint.

I like working on the car in the house. First door seal fitted. Quite easy with a bit of lube. And the strong hands of Mrs DW.

Cyc_cyKWgAQFBnB.jpg

I'm missing one seal, but thankfully have a spare set of doors downstairs (that have seen better days). Then I can get to the scary bit - refitting the glass.  Only scary for the rears. The front windows simply screw in.

CyX-AW4XcAACefW.jpg

Base of the B pillar. There appears to be a hole right through it. I think rot is creeping into the sliding hinge for the rear doors too, which is obviously a tricky spot to try and get paint down. This is why I hate restoring cars.

Well that's not good is it. Wasn't the body fully stripped before painting?

Cracking read so far, i like the idea of the wrapped wings, i bet that will look great if you pick the right design, you can get away with some cool designs as the Dolly is that kind of car, as for the rust, well that would bothering me a lot considering that this will be no trailer queen. Hope you get it sorted without any grief.

Nowt I can do about the paint issues, so I've been fitting the door seals instead. What a sod of a job! Got there in the end though.

Cym8rQSWEAAMc8E.jpg

I think tomorrow will see me actually make a start on the body. About time the wiring loom went back in. Then I can start refitting the wiper motor, rear lights and speedometer/dash panel. That'll make it look a lot closer to finished. Engine was due to get collected today for its rebuild session. Bit miffed about the delay on that, as I won't be too far from 'fire up' state soon.

The big issues are rear wings (though I can always chuck the battered old ones back on as an interim solution), unpainted/unwrapped front wings and a headlamp bar that I haven't really finished refurbishing yet.

Aye. We'll get there. Of course, I am yet to do any actual rustproofing of the car, so at least I know where to focus my efforts.

I've been working on the car all day, and progress was feeling a bit slow. Doing loads of little jobs takes up loads of time, but doesn't leave you with much to show for it. Doing this, you certainly see why restoring a car is so expensive! 

Having got the final bolts in that hold the body to the chassis, threaded the loom into the various places it needs to be, refitted the battery tray gear lever, I thought it was time for something that gave more of a visual finish. Rear lights!

CywnOZNXUAEWYUN.jpg

I refitted the wiper motor too. Definitely starting to look like a car again.

Cywy3zoXgAAvDc8.jpg

The aim is to have her ready to hit the road between Christmas and New Year. Wonder if I can find someone to MOT it in that gap? Could be tricky. I'd love to take her up to Yorkshire for  2CVGB Raid Tan Hill on 8th January. That could be a lot of fun.

There's a limit to how far I can get at the moment though. The engine is still away for rebuilding, and I need to collect some forgotten bits from Citwins - rear body glass and the reinforcing panel for the brake master cylinder/pedal assembly. Still an awful lot of fiddly bits I can crack on with for now though, and I still haven't painted the wings and headlamp bar.

Aye. We'll get there. Of course, I am yet to do any actual rustproofing of the car

I'm really hoping the insides of box sections have been proofed where welding has exposed steel to the atmosphere... Rust starts hours after metal is exposed in this weather, once there it doesn't ever vanish!

If not, time to get the compressor fired up sharpish!

This is arguably the single most important part of a rebuild, so make sure the Bilthamber's thin enough to atomise really well, collect and re-use it from the drips if there's sufficient to make it worthwhile.

Sounds expensive stuff but it's only as good as how well it's applied. There's too much good work been done to not get it right - tip the shell upside down and repeat if it's not yet all connected up so all the downwards-facing exposed steel is well covered.

Well worth a few hours of filthy work given the years of enjoyment it sets a rebuilt shell up for.

The waxing thing has been held up by the realisation that I only have the UB underbody wax in stock, not the cavity stuff. Moar shopping needed.

So, I refitted the seal above the windscreen (where the roof latches into place). Then, I thought it'd be nice to get the wiring back together. I can't find the original fusebox (what, my perfect* filing system didn't work?), but getting hold of the correct glass fuses is a pain in the arse these days, so I decided I'd upgrade it to blade fuses.

Thought I'd have to order up a new blade fuse box, but then I recalled that I bought one about ten years ago, and never got around to fitting it. All I had to do was find it. Many searches took place, and I found a huge number of spare bulbs for our Christmas lights (good timing). However, I could not locate the fuse box. 

I mentioned this to Mrs DW, who replied "Have you tried in the furniture right in the back corner of the workshop?" If you think my garage is a mess, the workshop is even worse. Said furniture is a desk, buried under loads of stuff we don't really need. It was even going mouldy. 

Sure enough, open the drawer and the fusebox is right there! My wife scares me sometimes.

All I need to do now is fit it.

15356667_10154764161053200_9642344423972

• 2 weeks later...

More mooching around on the internet has led to me checking out spray rubber paint. One advantage being that you can peel it off if you don't like it. This is just for the wings, though I do need to work out how to recreate the Dolly stripes on the doors. Probably. However, my main aim is to just get her back on the road.

Related to which is the engine, which is now not going to be rebuilt. There isn't time. Picking it up next week, which mean I can really crack on with getting her running again.

CyX-AW4XcAACefW.jpg

Base of the B pillar. There appears to be a hole right through it. I think rot is creeping into the sliding hinge for the rear doors too, which is obviously a tricky spot to try and get paint down. This is why I hate restoring cars.

Reckon my Yugoslavian Ami-super will be as bad from sitting out in all weathers while it waits to be shipped over here. :(