Edd's Talbot Samba Thread

SambaS

Once it's TAXed, God I've missed it! It's so good with a working clutch and the induction noise is ace.. And it makes little pops and bangs on over run! So pleased. I have many threads to update but it's slow pro on my mo pho.. also o2 wont let me use postimage.org to host pics, it's asking for age verification since I changed my number. And the other pic hosting sites are wank on a mobile.

Flickr works well on mine, and Photobucket too (although non-mobile Photobucket is now useless)

Got a few jobs done on this between swearing at it and helping* Steve with the Monza

16042013588.jpg

16042013597.jpg

16042013609.jpg

KruJoe came and lent a hand too. Look what we did to it:

20042013652.jpg

These things are holding the Samba together and they are a FUCKING PAIN IN MY ARSE.

We shall see how the modded ones fair (left after), (right before):

20042013649.jpg

P1120720_zps71e56424.jpg

The Style really was the most impressive performer on our Lakeland adventure. It's engine is half the size of the smallest of the others, and only a third the capacity of Zippy's Omega-engined Calibra! But yet the little Samba kept up with us all splendidly, and never missed a beat, often showing us a clean pair of heels:

P1120667_zpse12fb2c6.jpg

The first pictures of the calibra disgracing itself have appeared.....

It's been ok touch wood since but only used it a couple of times. There'll be some bits getting done on it in the next month or so, but I'll put the updates on my own thread.

Thanks Stilo Active.. if you mean the silver car on the previous page that's a Samba Style... the run out model of the Samba only sold in the UK..

Samba S is the Sporting version with the 1360cc engine and some other bits and bobs

Finally got the little bits of rust on the back of this sorted, also put a back bumper on it.

29042013877.jpg

29042013880.jpg

29042013881.jpg

Got to use my Netto knock off Dremmel

29042013882.jpg

29042013883.jpg

29042013884.jpg

29042013885.jpg

In my quest for more MPG I have been meaning to check the air filter out. Yep manky, so I stuck it in the wash..

29042013886.jpg

Can someone tell me how it rained with a clear blue sky?

29042013887.jpg

Just as I'd put the first coat of primer on

29042013888.jpg

So moved into my ex-garage that they haven't demolished yet and got out the halogen heater.

29042013889.jpg

Moral of this story is don't put your air filter in the wash.

29042013890.jpg

The primer bled through the masking tape a bit but the rust has been removed, the area treated and repainted which is what I wanted to achive before putting the bumper back over it all. Wouldn't want this one looking like the Roller in a few years.

29042013891.jpg

Last thing to do is Auto Glym Bumper Care it, the picture is a bit underwhelming I must admit.

29042013892.jpg

Tried to check the timing but the timing light wasn't emitting enough of a strobe to check, did see a spark across the coil though so a set of new plug leads is a must as they are quite stiff too.

• 2 weeks later...

Went up to Scotland land but didn't not liberate parts. The bumper is from my Samba Roller.

Going back up for the green monster though

Thanks Stilo Active.. if you mean the silver car on the previous page that's a Samba Style... the run out model of the Samba only sold in the UK..

Samba S is the Sporting version with the 1360cc engine and some other bits and bobs

I did actually mean Samba Style but typed Samba S. :oops:

Looking great with bumper on. Shame you're having to sell it, this is something I'd ordinarily rip your arm off to have but something always gets in the way of me buying a car I want, other than the wife. Typically in the throws moving house to somewhere that's more child friendly and there's less car storing room than I have now. Bollocks.

Been scouring Spain... and France too on the off chance one turns up there.

Definitely made the right choice selling this to Ian, still want another though!

CX was originally a Huddersfield plate. They did sometimes get issued to Leeds and Bradford area dealers though.

Brown & White Huddersfield, Staveley Garages Keighley,Shipley & possibly Bradford, Trinity Garage Halifax and Woodkirk Garage Morley were all Peugeot Talbot dealers back in the early 80s that might have registered a Talbot Horizon with a CX plate.

Glovers of Ilkley is the tax disk holder in the Samba S... that was there in 1994 when the car was taken off the road

"A long-established Ilkley car dealership and garage are to close by Christmas with compulsory job losses.

North Yorkshire-based motor group Nidd Vale is closing its Ilkley sales and service business on Friday, December 23.

The company occupies the landmark car showroom on Skipton Road – the former Glovers Garage, which was established in the 1930s – as well as premises on Bridge Lane and East Parade.

Nidd Vale group managing director Neil Crossley has confirmed there will be a “small number†of compulsory redundancies, but other members of the 13-strong staff have been offered alternative jobs in the group’s other businesses."

• 2 weeks later...

Fast forward to last Wednesday and I am sure the head gasket has blown, smoke everywhere, pressurised cooling system, overheating.. missfire, wont drive, wont run.

Fast forward to last Wednesday and I am sure the head gasket has blown, smoke everywhere, pressurised cooling system, overheating.. missfire, wont drive, wont run.

bummer

Compression test reads 5 bar, 6 bar, 5 bar, 5 bar on cylinders 4, 3, 2 then 1. Should be 10 bar on each cylinder so I guess it's quite tired.

Adjusted timing slightly, and it seems to be running a bit better.