Shite in Miniature II

Split_Pin

New arrivals time.  First up, the stuff from TheDoctor which contained a couple of surprises and fills some gaps in the collection.

Mod Rod is one of those I like, for some reason it's also one I've had trouble finding a decent example of.  This one is satisfyingly complete and a good refurb candidate.

post-5335-0-70471100-1556541710_thumb.jpg

Another favourite, and another one that I've had trouble acquiring, is Vantastic.  This is the first time I've had one in my hand and it looks like I could splice the front end of a Boss Mustang on fairly easily since it seems to be based on that casting, which would give me an opening bonnet and detailed engine bay which could look pretty neat.

post-5335-0-79581400-1556541783_thumb.jpg

The Scaffolding truck is *always* bashed about. I'm yet to see an example that looks any better than this.  It wasn't in the collection, so it's nice to have an example to work with.  I'll have to see if one of my other trucks has a similar enough glass to replace this damaged one.

post-5335-0-05655600-1556541927_thumb.jpg

Superfast era Cattle Truck is, with the exception of the crack in the windscreen and the missing mudflaps, in excellent shape.  I won't be doing anything with this one.

post-5335-0-64120900-1556542041_thumb.jpg

There were a couple of others too, but those were the ones that seemed most interesting to share.

The other items of note came from eBay.  The parcel they arrived in consisted of a single sheet of cardboard with so little brown tape you'd think it was rationed.  There was a hole big enough for everything to fall out and somehow, nothing did.  Address was also in green biro, which was barely legible.  Massive props to Royal Mail for delivering this without any of the contents getting smashed up or lost in transit, a small miracle.

The reason for bidding on this lot, which was a tenner, was the smallest item in the whole parcel; the Mechanical Horse.  Scammel's three-wheeled goods tractor that they called the Scarab.  It's one of my favourite real life vehicles and one which I've been finding impossible to get hold of affordably so to get one in this job lot has made me very happy indeed.  It is missing the trailer, which is a shame, but is otherwise complete and even still sporting some of the original gold paint detailing.

post-5335-0-77453400-1556542340_thumb.jpg

Also in there was the Bedford Low Loader trailer.  I can find the tractor units for his fairly easily and have never got around to acquiring one, the trailer was proving more difficult, so that's another good score.

post-5335-0-46414000-1556542392_thumb.jpg

There were a number of broken Weatherill Hydraulics, two early grey wheel examples and a later black wheel one.  There was also a Caterpillar with no front shovel or tracks, and this sorry looking Bedford Compressor Truck that's had the front axle smashed clean off.  I can probably repair the Bedford with spare parts I already have.

post-5335-0-06536000-1556542489_thumb.jpg

Another vehicle I've been after and kept missing out was the Thames Trader Compressor, also in this lot.  It's in pretty good shape just needing a repaint and the front axle straightening, which is easy enough on these earlier models.

post-5335-0-93687800-1556542562_thumb.jpg

Two curiosities were in with the mix, made in Hong Kong on the bottom of them and stamped 'Playart'.  They're pretty funky little things and I like them for the novelty value.  I don't know what cars they're supposed to be and it doesn't really matter, they're just kinda neat.

post-5335-0-79836000-1556542648_thumb.jpg

post-5335-0-00452000-1556542649_thumb.jpg

Finally, the real miracle in this parcel.  Somehow, against all the odds, this Lone Star Dodge Dart survived unscathed.  Everything is there, the windscreen, the driver, the towbar... how this survived the journey with no packaging and a hole in the parcel big enough for it to fall out I really don't know.

post-5335-0-78832800-1556542724_thumb.jpg

This, with personal details censored for obvious reasons, is the parcel in question.  Shocking.

post-5335-0-20658100-1556542964_thumb.jpg

True story about one of those Scarabs.....A teddy boy mate of mine had been round my house one afternoon.   A few weeks later at a "do" he pressed something into my drape pocket.   "You collect those little trucks doncha..." he said.  Nodding, I bought him a bottle of Newcastle and fished the thing out when I got home and inside the crumpled up bit of paper there was a mint Lesney Scarab!    

Vulgalour, the red car you don't recognise by Playart, you might if it was a bit bigger, green, and had Corgi stamped under it (!).  It's the Astro1, an experimental Chevrolet from about 1969-ish.

Meanwhile, I've had a weekend away and done a bit of Buy.

post-4559-0-96572600-1556568477_thumb.jpg

I was at Donington Park for the BTCC and obviously had to look around the trade stalls.  One had several tables of "used" models, so I picked out these three, all to 1/43, for a total investment of £9.

L-R:  Chrysler Airflow San Francisco PD car; no maker's name underneath but the only Airflow I know in this scale is by Rextoys.

1968 Plymouth Fury, Detroit PD, by Dimension 4.  The front end is a bit out of shape and heavy, not by abuse but by design unfortunately.  Still, it's the first 68 Plymouth in my US copcar fleet.

Fiat 600 copcar, yes really!  Even better, it appears to be dressed as a Polish police car!  Manufacturer is ProgettoK, of whom I have heard but I don't think I've ever owned anything by them.  Until now.

So... the Airflow had no tyres on the front wheels, but I made a couple of Dinky tyres fit.  That'll do.

The Plymouth needs one of the bubblegum lights replacing as it's gone missing (not on my watch!).  I should have one suitable somewhere, haven't looked yet.

The 600 needs nothing, amazingly.  If I can make space it can go straight into the cabinet.  That's a big IF but they are all going in, one way or another.  Oh and I need to scrub the price labels off them too.  That won't take long.

Finished a few items today, so here's some before and afters.  Not a particularly bad repaint on the Continental I just wanted to do it differently.

post-5335-0-16535000-1556574422_thumb.jpg

post-5335-0-93602700-1556574432_thumb.jpg

Ferrari turned out pretty good.  Getting the rear axle back on was a bit of a war so in future, I'll just leave the wheels on this sort of Corgi and mask them off for painting the base instead.

post-5335-0-12136600-1556574587_thumb.jpg

post-5335-0-56779600-1556574597_thumb.jpg

Finally finished the custom Commer van, which has had more ideas for the final look than perhaps any other project to date.  A special request was made to make it into a tiger van, so I did just that.

post-5335-0-90199600-1556574648_thumb.jpg

post-5335-0-69467000-1556574659_thumb.jpg

I got quite a lot of progress on things this weekend, so much so I could start some new things.  Annoyingly, I picked up the same red for the Victor as I'd used on the 1100 and turns out the 'grit' is actually coming out of the can, not being blown in from the surrounding area, so I've got to strip that one and start again.  The grey on the J2 is proving problematic too, it felt like it had hardened enough to be handled until I started handling it, and then the paint went all soft again, so that might need a repaint too.  The Impala surprised me for how realistic it looks once the chrome trim is added, and the two-tone is a colour scheme I wasn't aware of on these until today when I was looking for colours to paint it, so I'm very hopeful that this one is going to turn out really nicely.

post-5335-0-07562200-1556574759_thumb.jpg

post-5335-0-08029900-1556574767_thumb.jpg

On 4/26/2019 at 10:18 PM, Spottedlaurel said:

Great write-up on the Corgi R11.

I got hold of the blue version at a reasonable price a while back:

30074190265_621e82a4a2_b.jpg

Corgi Ford Sierra and Renault 11 by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

I think the white painted front plate was done by a previous owner, but what is curious is that mine does have a diamond in the grille. It's not just painted, there is a definite moulded-in shape.

Hey, glad you enjoyed - and a boxed blue R11 for a fiver seems a decent bargain! Great going...

The different grille is an interesting bit of trivia... I wonder if Corgi quickly re-worked their moulding after the launch of the real car, to better reflect the actual appearance? The silver paint on mine seems to have been spray-masked on, the same process as the red paint for the tail lights... It's neatly done, but just not much like the real car.

On 4/28/2019 at 4:29 PM, 155V6 said:

Today's car boot finds.

The MG 1100 is by Guisval,I'm hoping the grille from a Matchbox version might fit?

The De Tomaso is by Inter-Cars

2anh28a.jpg

Some nice finds, there... the Guisval 1100 is a new one on me. Is the yellow Morgan a Corgi Junior? Looks vaguely familiar...

On 4/28/2019 at 9:32 PM, vulgalour said:

Been working on some offroad projects today. 

attachicon.gifProject1.JPG

I've got a MYSTERY BOX arriving from Datsuncog and I recently acquired a badly described joblot on eBay that appears to have a Scammel Scarab in which, for the price, I'm quite excited about.  For some reason, the Scarab models are both difficult to find and expensive for what they are.

Mystery Box is on its way to you (now that I've found a suitable box, as a Mystery Bag isn't quite as good and a Mystery Scrap Of Folded Card Ineffectually Secured With Half An Inch Of Off-Brand Parcel Tape is, as we all know, beyond unacceptable).

On 4/30/2019 at 10:07 AM, egg said:

Some deeply un-British self-promotion. I've started a Youtube channel where I talk in a unenthusiastic monotone voice (meant to add gravitas) about various Norev models. 2 short videos so far. Maybe you'd enjoy*.

https://studio.youtube.com/channel/UCR9FHc7nWEbX5US0IfSh6iw

Linky no worky, it just opens the Youtube Studio rather than your channel. Disappoint as I was looking forward to some monotone warped plastic excitement.

I have subscribificated, someone tell Junkman.  On the subject of Norev, I think Hornby PLC arte missing a trick here, a range of slightly less deatailed 1/43 British outline shite for under 15 quid would probably sell like hot cakes, rather like the Cararama mk1 Scrote does

DSCF9013.thumb.JPG.9909b174c03c40ed370dd8926f132562.JPG

Father Datsuncogmas has been!  There's a little puddle of oil and a half-nibbled spark plug in the kitchen and this on my desk.  Let's take a look inside.  Almost everything inside this (perfectly wrapped) parcel has a ridiculous name, like this, the Hairy Hustler.  I'm looking forward to redoing this one.

7-HairyHustler.thumb.jpg.654b0a81b6c7fdffe53cdce6339b0857.jpg

BIG BANGER.  What a name.  Someone has nicked the big banger, as is pretty common, so we'll have to see what I do about that in the future.  But still.  It's call Big Banger.

28-BigBanger.thumb.jpg.b697e00783280b14dd5ca78fdd85dcfb.jpg

Another Fandango (which always puts Abba's Fernando in my head) to add to my little collection.  The paint on this seemed to flouresce under the daylight bulb, which was kinda neat.

35-Fandango.thumb.jpg.52031cd8c94e399f7534bac7a6e9a02f.jpg

There were TWO Stretcha Fetchas, one of them even had the door on the back!  The one without the door I have plans to convert into a funky pick-up truck.  Pretty sure the inspiration for this one was Supervan by George Barris, it's not identical of course, but the general shape of it and the colours Matchbox used always put me in mind of Supervan.

46a-StretchaFetcha.thumb.jpg.5d5f26d6279b9a74d612066a3cef16a9.jpg

Woosh-N-Push.  It's a name that makes absolutely no sense.  It's also a casting that looks like it should have a big bit of glazing, and never did.  This is the second one of these I've got, my other one spent some time buried in a garden and has no wheels, though it does have the engine this one is missing, so I can make one out of the two and then make some sort of bitsa-buggy out of the remains I reckon.

58-Woosh-N-Push.thumb.jpg.49c6fc687a407988e4f9b85179401057.jpg

Planet Scout.  This is my third one of these and all three I have are different colours.  This one has the more usual damage to the top chrome where the others are in good shape.  Not sure if I want to restore any of these until I've got some colour duplicates, and I'm pretty sure they did an 'army' version in drab olive that I don't yet have, probably others too.  Planet Scout seemed to have quite a few variants, they got their money out of it.

59-PlanetScout.thumb.jpg.1e9ee0e1dc440125b04f45558d7815fe.jpg

Clipper.  Again, a name I don't really understand, perhaps it's referencing fast sailing ships?  Anyway, this is a Rolamatics but I think the mechanism is broken.  There's a part inside that's loose and it jams the rear wheels, so I'm hoping when I dismantle it I can fix that.  I do like the old Rolamatics, they didn't make many and they weren't fantastically exciting, I just appreciate the mechanics that go into them.

39-Clipper.thumb.jpg.2ba0fe9f87f607f8839a4e5f8d8276af.jpg

Maserati Bora.  This is in almost exactly the same state as the other one I've got that I restored.  I'll restore this one, just not in bright green, maybe red this time since they look pretty good in red.

32-MaseratiBora.thumb.jpg.5b05dec24cda19a11e0ade80310b18e4.jpg

Finally in this assortment, a Siva Spider with the plastic bit still attached.  This is a bit odd too, it looks like it was painted pink at the factory and then overpainted in the blue with the graphics added also at the factory.  I wonder if they just repainted some castings from a previous run to update them before assembly?

41-SivaSpyder.thumb.jpg.749662fa58fd811b4cccc7f9d90b2b5f.jpg

Skeletons wanking in a biscuit tin time, the brown Solara LS is a replica of my uncle Rob's, bought brand new, and disposed of after just a year, replaced with a brand new Cherry 5 door. the red Horizon is a replica of my uncle Alan's old motor, also bought new, that was run in to the ground, and replaced with a Micra. My family were shiters LOL

1238507081_AltayaTalbotSolaraRobBalmfortfrt.thumb.jpg.3cd4dee5164f4e8a51962204c0d3ff34.jpg

833539523_AltayaTalbotySolaraRobBalmforthrear.thumb.jpg.6c65ae7c840b092551e992b04f3d1401.jpg

384088268_OdeonTalbotHorizonAlanYoungfront.thumb.jpg.fa2ea04161dc3a2ee82c12609a774ef2.jpg

798770452_OdeonTalbotHorizonAlanYoungrear.thumb.jpg.393c83ddcf9bcccb93ff4fd5277dd013.jpg

838578047_CavendishParkTalbots.thumb.jpg.704dc67667b2629d73888af041bbf62d.jpg

The pink on the Siva is the base coat, the Mini they did round the same time had a yellow base under the orange paint. 

Easiest way to get a spare engine for the Big Banger is to find one of the 80’s recasts they did of them in blue, somehow they managed to properly rivet the engine in on those ones. 

This is why it’s worth picking up damaged stuff if they’ve still got useable bits on them for jobs like this.

Hey, glad the latest mystery tatbox arrived safely!

A bit of a mixed bag in all senses, and hopefully some of it will be of use to you, in one form or another. 

14 hours ago, vulgalour said:

Does the [Clipper] Rolamatic mech still work on it and, if so, what does it do?

As far as I can tell, the Clipper is meant to have an exhaust pipe protruding very slightly from each of those two slots in the rear. When moving, they jiggle even more slightly. That's it. They may well have been pushed down into the body on yours, so possibly fixable?

In a way, it's amazing that Lesney put so much engineering effort into something so inconsequential; the Fandango and Turbo Fury also generate so little movement as to make you wonder why they even bothered with all the cams and gears and stuff. Possibly just an effort to offer something unique from Corgi or Hot Wheels' rival products.

When I was about three or four, a large number of fairly battered Superfasts (including many examples of these fantasy cars and Rolamatics) were gifted to me when a family friend's son outgrew them. Although generally car-mad at the time, these fantasies confused and enraged me because I prized realism above all in my toys, and I just couldn't recognise these from the real-life cars I'd see out and about.

The Soopa Coopa annoyed me because the front end looked almost normal (a touch of Stutz Blackhawk, maybe), but the back end was nuts. The Stretcha Fetcha caused Young Datsuncog even more consternation, as it had a proper GB-style numberplate on the front but looked like no ambulance I'd ever seen. How could it have a numberplate if it wasn't based on a real car? This made no sense to me.

I was, as you can guess, a somewhat literal and pedantic child. I haven't really changed much, either.

I flatly refused to integrate these vehicles into my play scenarios, which generally starred more prototypical Superfasts like my beloved Cortina MkIV, Citroen CX estate and Renault 5. I couldn't even attack them with hammers and integrate them into my toy scrapyard, as they didn't resemble anything to be found in the stacks of wrecks up at Bobby Shaw's Yard. So, in childish pique, I simply ignored them for thirty-odd years... then sold them all to Sierraman. As you do.

However, after decades of total dismissal, it's been a delight to re-acquaint myself with these far-out '70s oddities, and get to grips with them on their own terms for the first time. As exercises in imaginative design and pushing the boundaries of '70s styling cues, they really are very appealing.

And, until last week, I'd never noticed that the front of the Woosh-N-Push looks startlingly like an Austin Maxi...

20190428_115353.thumb.jpg.fe49edca54d091738c02021def0d3d3c.jpg

633834220_20180402_093207(2).thumb.jpg.d1875de93b7a85393ea18074715940c5.jpg

Uncanny, hey?

EDIT: in fact, it's so very similar I'd almost wonder if it was maybe an in-joke amongst the designers?

18 minutes ago, Amishtat said:

Took a trip to the boot sale a couple of days ago, not a huge amount of interesting stuff but I did bag these. 

Tyre fryer and Soopa Coopa of any use to you Vulg? Keeping the Mercury but if anyone fancies any of the others let me know. 

Ooh, nice going... those 1/43-ish King Sizes, which I guess were an attempt to muscle in on Corgi and Dinky's domains, really are lush. Yours looks in good nick, too.

At some point, I must start looking for a Mercury Cougar too, as well as the Mercury Commuter and dark blue Dodge Charger from the same range. I don't think Matchbox did many other 'ordinary-looking' cars in that scale (Lamborghini Muira and Mercedes Ambulance too, I s'pose), so it's only quite a small number to collect.

1003225757_MatchboxKingSizecatalogue.thumb.jpg.7ef7c1f0098f1babf7926a1e5b570ebb.jpg

2105048680_MatchboxK22DodgeCharger.jpg.fc2f8043af22a79fc86911eebd0ca83d.jpg

Interesting that these models mark the end of Matchbox's focus on producing detailed and realistic scale models to be stored on a shelf and pushed gently around a table top (to show off the fingertip steering), while a year or two later it was the turn of the Tyre Fryer and its ilk to shift kids' attention towards exciting looking, lairy-coloured monster racers for racing on speed track.

I guess these castings all lived on into the more exciting speed-era too, though they don't quite grab me as much...

1257656450_MBSpeedKingsK-28-1DragPack.thumb.jpg.0d3a8463641afab988a201a7f7ab94f7.jpg

311472623_MatchboxK22DodgeDragster.thumb.jpg.f0257371456dbdf54ff8c095d792143e.jpg

I've got that blue Charger, minus 2 front tyres. They are an unusual design and are only available from one supplier for £6 for a set of 4, which is nearly double what the car cost. As such its been up on 'blocks' for a year or so.

Just to keep everyone informed (hey, I know you're all waiting), there was sadly even less rubbishy diecast visible at the early morning market sweep this Friday morning, I fear... other than the tat boxes, this was pretty much it.

1781624762_20190503_090413resize.thumb.png.53afe0ffc1ef25afcfd873eac7e86c2c.png

Corgi Ford Torino is not only a sloppy repaint of the Starky and Hotch 'flying tomato', but has been inflicted with a big dent in the bootlid (and corresponding damage below to the plastic baseplate).

Minichamps promo (?) of a '90s Mercedes C140 series. Not quite my bag, but could be somebody's bag for a tenner?

2038570822_20190503_090413(2).thumb.jpg.717aca103dbee2458568aa5d480acdc3.jpg

Tat boxes then...

2114298245_20190503_090449resize.thumb.jpg.befacdfd04bbb44d865870e482028c3b.jpg

Welp, nothin' much new, it pains me to say. As I was rummaging, another very  intense-looking chap came right up next to me and started rifling through the other box with the enthusiasm of a highly caffeinated terrier going at a lawn-bowling green, grabbed some Corgi Juniors and MB Superfasts, then threw them back in and walked off. Looks like I have some (mildly unhinged) competition.

691494773_20190503_090501resize.thumb.png.b39c524963a7ede1c7eabd7e546c4169.png

Highlights remaining in this box include at least four Matchbox MB18 Field Cars or varying degrees of disrepair (the canopies never stayed on these, did they?), two Superkings Bertone Runabouts (both with busted windscreens), and a K27 Camping Cruiser with no roof or rear door.

520519340_20190503_090457resize.thumb.jpg.b37fedbdb0b575d5cd3129b0de6756fc.jpg

More Matchbox in here; like so many, the orange MB34 Vantastic has quite a damaged shell; the same tale applies to the MB9 AMC Javelin AMX Pro-Stocker, and the MB58 Chevrolet Corvette T-Top. There are, however, two green Planet Scouts, two Toe Joes, and two AEC Merryweather fire appliances in there as well, which have a variety of axle and glazing issues but no casting damage. There's also an MB37 Skip Truck, missing its skip but otherwise in good clean order.

In terms of Corgi Juniors, there's a Mercedes 280SL (with no doors), a De Tomaso Mangusta (with plenty of original paint but broken glazing), a white-over-blue Triumph TR7 in good nick, a bright green Mercedes 240D saloon, a Ford D-Series skip truck (with boom still intact) and a horribly painted Range Rover Vigilant. There's also a bootless Majorette Citroen Visa Chrono, and a similarly lacking Porsche 924 from the same manufacturer, while an all-diecast Edocar branded model of an unspecified lorry (probably by Yatming) completes the items of interest in here, based on what I can see.

Nothing really of interest on any of the other stalls, either.

Maybe next week, hey?

2 hours ago, Datsuncog said:

Hey, glad the latest mystery tatbox arrived safely!

A bit of a mixed bag in all senses, and hopefully some of it will be of use to you, in one form or another. 

As far as I can tell, the Clipper is meant to have an exhaust pipe protruding very slightly from each of those two slots in the rear. When moving, they jiggle even more slightly. That's it. They may well have been pushed down into the body on yours, so possibly fixable?

In a way, it's amazing that Lesney put so much engineering effort into something so inconsequential; the Fandango and Turbo Fury also generate so little movement as to make you wonder why they even bothered with all the cams and gears and stuff. Possibly just an effort to offer something unique from Corgi or Hot Wheels' rival products.

When I was about three or four, a large number of fairly battered Superfasts (including many examples of these fantasy cars and Rolamatics) were gifted to me when a family friend's son outgrew them. Although generally car-mad at the time, these fantasies confused and enraged me because I prized realism above all in my toys, and I just couldn't recognise these from the real-life cars I'd see out and about.

The Soopa Coopa annoyed me because the front end looked almost normal (a touch of Stutz Blackhawk, maybe), but the back end was nuts. The Stretcha Fetcha caused Young Datsuncog even more consternation, as it had a proper GB-style numberplate on the front but looked like no ambulance I'd ever seen. How could it have a numberplate if it wasn't based on a real car? This made no sense to me.

I was, as you can guess, a somewhat literal and pedantic child. I haven't really changed much, either.

I flatly refused to integrate these vehicles into my play scenarios, which generally starred more prototypical Superfasts like my beloved Cortina MkIV, Citroen CX estate and Renault 5. I couldn't even attack them with hammers and integrate them into my toy scrapyard, as they didn't resemble anything to be found in the stacks of wrecks up at Bobby Shaw's Yard. So, in childish pique, I simply ignored them for thirty-odd years... then sold them all to Sierraman. As you do.

However, after decades of total dismissal, it's been a delight to re-acquaint myself with these far-out '70s oddities, and get to grips with them on their own terms for the first time. As exercises in imaginative design and pushing the boundaries of '70s styling cues, they really are very appealing.

And, until last week, I'd never noticed that the front of the Woosh-N-Push looks startlingly like an Austin Maxi...

20190428_115353.thumb.jpg.fe49edca54d091738c02021def0d3d3c.jpg

633834220_20180402_093207(2).thumb.jpg.d1875de93b7a85393ea18074715940c5.jpg

Uncanny, hey?

EDIT: in fact, it's so very similar I'd almost wonder if it was maybe an in-joke amongst the designers?

Maybe Roy Haynes designed the Woosh-N-Push and gave it his generic Mk2 Cortina/Maxi front end? Converting one into a Maxi buggy type thing sounds like a cool idea, a sort of shitty BL equivalent to the VW beach buggy but more beige to match the dull rainy British seaside towns it would frequent instead of glamorous California.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who hated the fantasy cars as a child and craved toys based on the real cars I could see on the road. I look at what's on offer from Matchbox and Hot Wheels now and it's very difficult to find anything relevant to UK roads among all the Americana and bizarre fantasy creations so today's kids aren't going to have the fun of growing up with toy versions of their parents' cars.

Nice to know I wasn't alone in disliking that range both as a child of the early eighties and still a bit today.  I had a Turbo Fan when I was about three (at least I think that's what it was, metallic red with two cream plastic fans on the back) but it certainly wasn't a favourite of mine. Probably still got it somewhere along with a yellow Matchbox Mustang with big wheels on the back, another that didn't get played with much just because it didn't look like the cars on the streets outside.