Shite in Miniature II

Split_Pin

Jon, that's a cracking haul of Solidos! And, once again, some fantastic photography there... I need to up my game, rather!

Yes, I think MC Toy/ Maisto were different brands within the same company, with Maisto being the later one.

Edocar were a Dutch distributor in the 1980s and early '90s that repackaged and marketed models from a number of different Far-Eastern manufacturers - in my big box o' tat I once had MC Toy, Welly and Yatming models that I'd also acquired in Edocar boxes, and with Edocar branding on the base.

They did some really odd stuff, like Trabants - and I seemed to only ever find them on carousel displays in independent newsagents and campsite general stores, never in toyshops.

Jon, that's a cracking haul of Solidos! And, once again, some fantastic photography there... I need to up my game, rather!

Yes, I think MC Toy/ Maisto were different brands within the same company, with Maisto being the later one.

Edocar were a Dutch distributor in the 1980s and early '90s that repackaged and marketed models from a number of different Far-Eastern manufacturers - in my big box o' tat I once had MC Toy, Welly and Yatming models that I'd also acquired in Edocar boxes, and with Edocar branding on the base.

They did some really odd stuff, like Trabants - and I seemed to only ever find them on carousel displays in independent newsagents and campsite general stores, never in toyshops.

Does anyone remember Woolworths selling Maisto/MC Toys cars under their Chad Valley name? Their wheels always seemed suspiciously similar to Matchbox ones but they did some odd chod Matchbox wouldn't touch like that Samurai, Trabant and a Mk2 Granada.

Interesting concept, reminds me of the Superkings Team Honda truck:

s-l1600.jpg

It reminds me even more of this:

aa_0236.jpg

I had one but never liked it - even as a youngster I wanted realism and thought gullwing doors on a truck were a bit far fetched. Nonetheless I'll be watching the project with interest.

I don't recall that but I'll need to check the 2 different versions of the Granada I have to see what the baseplates say, I'm sure both are Maisto.

Its an excellent wee model and a nat's chuff off a Matchbox in terms of quality and detail.

IIRC the Chad Valley name was only on the packaging (special boxes for Woolies I guess) and the baseplates had the standard MC Toys logo.

Aye, I'd forgotten about the Chad Valley range... I didn't buy much from Woolworths as a kid, but I remember seeing them.

I know in later years they sold Hongwell Cararama toys under the Chad Valley brand - though the branding was on the box only, not the cars.

P1060677.JPG

P1060683.JPG

P1060678.JPG

P1060680.JPG

Tesco carried the same range too, under their own name.

Funny you should mention the MCToy Mk2 Granada, I picked another one of them up at my preferred market stall the other week:

20190405_155028 (2).jpg

20190405_155036 (2).jpg

20190405_155048 (2).jpg

The baseplate isn't that easy to make out, but it says:

FORD GRANADA 2.3GL

EDOCAR ®

©1988 S

MADE IN MACAU

Yes, I always thought the MCToys/Edocar/Maisto wheels were very Matchbox-like - although, as quite a few Matchbox cars were made in Macau from the mid-80s on after Universal Toys took over the brand from Lesney's bankruptcy, I wonder whether the same injection mould tooling was used?

I don't remember Cararama being sold as Chad Valley, I'm sure I would have bought a load from the local Woolies if they had them. I had a similar transporter from Tesco in a blue Tesco-branded box though.

That Granada is exactly like mine except I'm sure mine had an MC Toys base rather than Edocar and I think it came new from the local market. It and another marked up as an ambulance went to cms206 in my great Shitefest 16 toy giveway and is hopefully enjoying a new life north of the border.

On 4/15/2019 at 1:40 PM, quicksilver said:

I don't remember Cararama being sold as Chad Valley, I'm sure I would have bought a load from the local Woolies if they had them. I had a similar transporter from Tesco in a blue Tesco-branded box though.

That Granada is exactly like mine except I'm sure mine had an MC Toys base rather than Edocar and I think it came new from the local market. It and another marked up as an ambulance went to cms206 in my great Shitefest 16 toy giveway and is hopefully enjoying a new life north of the border.

Yeah, the Tesco sets were the same composition, though seem to have had a different selection of cars included than the Chad Valley sets:

P1060672.JPG

Tesco also did packs of other Cararama as part of their Junior Explorers range.

P1060667.JPG

Some odd colour choices, anyway. Very much toy-like.

P1060671.JPG

I think I picked these up around 2002 - they were all really cheap.

I had the paramedic Granada too; think it was Maisto branded on the base, and came as a two-pack with the adjacent Ford Econoline.

20180620_171453.jpg

155V6 has them both now, if memory serves.

Yeah, the Tesco sets were the same composition, though seem to have had a different selection of cars included than the Chad Valley sets:

attachicon.gifP1060672.JPG

Tesco also did packs of other Cararama as part of their Junior Explorers range.

attachicon.gifP1060667.JPG

Some odd colour choices, anyway. Very much toy-like.

attachicon.gifP1060671.JPG

I think I picked these up around 2002 - they were all really cheap.

I had the paramedic Granada too; think it was Maisto branded on the base, and came as a two-pack with adjacent Ford Econoline.

attachicon.gif20180620_171453.jpg

155V6 has them both now, if memory serves.

I think mine was the top one, it definitely had the red S-class and silver Jag but I'm not sure what the other two were. The transporter and accessories are long gone but I still have the cars. If only you could get a set of Cararama like that for £2.79 nowadays.

Toe Jam Sporter is almost ready for paint now I've completed mock-up on it.  Proportions look pretty much spot on now and everything lines up really nicely.  All six wheels roll too.  Undecided on colour at the moment, probably end up with something lairy.

post-5335-0-91062900-1555355472_thumb.jpg

New pound shop One Below has loads of new Matchbox in. This was my haul.

post-5414-0-19365000-1555357978_thumb.jpg

The camper thing was always going to be a donor. I'm going to make a trailer out of the pick up bed. It should be easy to cut as the body is plastic.

The detachable camper bit fits nicely on the Ranchero.

post-5414-0-94649500-1555358107_thumb.jpg

The back door fits nicely too.

post-5414-0-92898100-1555358380_thumb.jpg

Toe Jam Sporter is almost ready for paint now I've completed mock-up on it.  Proportions look pretty much spot on now and everything lines up really nicely.  All six wheels roll too.  Undecided on colour at the moment, probably end up with something lairy.

attachicon.gifToeJoeProject3.jpg

I'm really liking your work Vulgalour,they're the kind of things I tried to make as a young teenager,like this roof chopped Transit.Please be kind,I built this nearly 40 years ago  :-D

zE8RyXq.jpg

Remember back when I said that I only collected 1/43 scale things, plus the odd foray into 1/64s?

Well, apparently that did used to be a thing but seemingly not any more, as I descend more into old toy hoarder man, rather than 1/43 connoisseur*.

Trawling Trademe one evening, this popped up:

47583803551_320f8ee968_b.jpg

It's a Greenlight 1:18 scale rendition of an Impala that features in a hitherto unbeknown (to me) hit TV show, called Supernatural. I thought the dark moody shot suited the subject quite well, due to the, erm, supernatural element of the series. Plus it also helped reduce a load of reflection from living room furniture, which was pinging off that shiny black paint job. You don't seem to get such issues with smaller stuff! 

40617814893_64e3130bed_b.jpg

I must admit, I was rather looking forward to picking this up and marvelling at the sheer weight and scale of it, as I haven't bought a 1:18 since I owned a few Maisto models bought from Tesco back in the mid-90's. Sadly, this one has no opening features at all! So really, it's more of a highly detailed Tonka than the stuff I was buying for £12.99 or thereabouts 25 years back.

That said, this one came in a faded and slightly careworn box and has an A pillar search light that needs gluing back on but I think it's OK value for the £10 I paid. I'll no doubt try and hawk it off to my favourite toy shop for store credit, if they're at all interested.

On 4/15/2019 at 9:04 PM, morrisoxide said:

New pound shop One Below has loads of new Matchbox in. This was my haul.

attachicon.gifIMG_20190414_162543.jpg

That Nissan Junior pickup's an unusual one for them to have modelled; great haul!

Unfortunately I don't believe there are any branches of One Below over here (yet?), but good to see that Matchbox haven't gone completely off the radar.

On 4/16/2019 at 10:11 AM, sierraman said:

Serious want for the new 2019 stuff they do with opening doors etc.

I noticed the other week that a local model shop was carrying a few of the Road Trip range with opening doors - any idea if these two are just cleaned-up Lesney castings, or entirely newly modelled versions?

They were priced at the rather odd amount of £5.10 each, and while they were indeed rather nice I felt they were mebbe a bit pricey to buy just for comparison purposes against my old Lesneys.

20190405_135627.jpg