Peugeot 205 CJ - fixed and probably available for sells/swaps

Marm Toastsmith

post-23518-0-91976200-1537392065_thumb.jpg

New radio day! The lion goes from strength to strength!

It sounds gr8. Always wanted an Alpine BITD. This one is a bit late for the car but was cheap and came with a CD changer. I like CD changers... Will have to pull the carpet up and stick it in the boot. It was too windy today - doors are missing their check straps and were blowing all over the place.

I wonder if there's wiring in place for rear speakers... anyone know?

Love this car. Am driving it loads. I even like it with the roof up. I want more 205s... Actually I want more smoll french in general.

post-23518-0-97655000-1537393418_thumb.jpg

Irritatingly these tyres are awful. It has 4 matching "Accelera" tyres, all with decent tread, no cracking etc. But pulling away from a junction with vigour results in (oddly silent) wheelspin even in the dry. Practically no grip.

I feel like it probably wants Michelins. French, innit. But they ain't cheap.

Anyway, luckily the brakes seem to lack the required power to lock up the tyres. Or at least, I haven't yet managed to stamp on them hard enough to acheive a skid.

Not sure where to spend first. Actually I don't really have any money anyway. But I could probably sell something in order to throw money at the car. Or work a bit harder.

Shop around for rubber - we had a good deal on the Toyota with Tyresonthedrive.com, fitted at home.

I think these came with 165/70 13s as standard on Peugeot 'sport' steels, which look a little like Ford Dartboard wheels.

Someone suggested that this has 106 XSI alloys on it, and I think they might be on the money... I just checked specs for the 106 XSI and it seems narrower 175/60 R14 were standard fitment. With no PAS I think narrower tyres might be a good thing.

Only downside is there's quite a bit less choice in that size, which is presumably why someone put 185s on...

https://www.blackcircles.com/order/tyres/search?width=175&profile=60&rim=14

Plenty of choice in that size (and good prices) but isn't it going to be bigger still?

i.e. 165/70 13 < 175/60 14 < 175/65 14

I think it's time for me to stop looking at tyres on the internet and go to sleep.

Yep, you’re right. I know 185/60 14 is the 1.6GTi size and reads about 15% out on the speedo of a 1.1, but didn’t make much difference to the XS I used to drive

Also discovered water is definitely getting in under the dash somewhere. I probably need to clean out the scuttle area and check the drain holes are clear. A roll of PVC tape I left in the glovebox was soggy.

Don't know what it is with these cars and water getting into strange places (although granted, this one is a cabrio). Ours had loads of it sloshing about in one of the sills, so under hard braking/acceleration it sounded like a water mattress. Ended up just taking a drill to it. 

We also had water pissing in through the interior light during heavy rain which, by all accounts, is fairly common with Peugeots of this vintage.

Loving this thread anyway, it looks very smart now!

Going from the standard 13s with 165s to peugeot partner van wheels (roughly the same tyre size as your 106 wheels I think) made the steering on my old 1.4 GT much lighter for some reason. Handling was improved as well. I think they may have been a higher offset than your wheels though as I don’t remember them sticking out as far.

Brakes are just that shit. They may need attention but I remember it being near impossible to lock the front wheels on most of my old 205s. It’s a good job they’re adept at steering round obstacles should they arise suddenly

Don't know what it is with these cars and water getting into strange places (although granted, this one is a cabrio). Ours had loads of it sloshing about in one of the sills, so under hard braking/acceleration it sounded like a water mattress. Ended up just taking a drill to it. 

We also had water pissing in through the interior light during heavy rain which, by all accounts, is fairly common with Peugeots of this vintage.

Good to know that it's normal... Actually the hood seems pretty watertight although seeing as it's now pissing down I may discover it's not quite as good as I thought.

Going from the standard 13s with 165s to peugeot partner van wheels (roughly the same tyre size as your 106 wheels I think) made the steering on my old 1.4 GT much lighter for some reason. Handling was improved as well. I think they may have been a higher offset than your wheels though as I don’t remember them sticking out as far.

Brakes are just that shit. They may need attention but I remember it being near impossible to lock the front wheels on most of my old 205s. It’s a good job they’re adept at steering round obstacles should they arise suddenly

Food for thought...and again reassuring that the brakes are normal. Maybe new pads would help though. The tyres definitely need replacing, it was slipping all over the place yesterday in the rain. I bet it would look cool on bigger steels, and I could probably get a few quid for the alloys. The swap might even pay for a set of tyres...

You have just reminded me of the rusty water shower that was regularly dispensed by my Mi16.

Sometimes I wonder why I sold such a great car....

Sometimes I am reminded.

You have just reminded me of the rusty water shower that was regularly dispensed by my Mi16.

Sometimes I wonder why I sold such a great car....

Sometimes I am reminded.

lol.

Well, mine's being quite well behaved in the rain, all things considered. It fills up the glovebox with water nicely, everything else is bone dry. Maybe I should plant something in there. I suppose I would need special lights too...maybe that's why that wiring connector's there?

post-23518-0-95349400-1537727523_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

First big drive today - Bournemouth and back. All went well, and it seems pretty frugal too. Took A roads on the way there, chanced upon a pretty sweet route, and had the roof down which was great. New stereo is loud enough at 80 with the top open!

Really is a cracking little driver's car - handles so well... really good steering feel. I think even the brakes are OK actually now I'm getting used to them. Seats are great.

Journey back (at night) was more of a chore... weirdly it's quieter with the roof down than up... I did the first 30 miles with the roof down, hat on and two coats. But it was cold, and the heater's not brilliant. Was nice being able to look at the stars but in the end I admitted defeat and put the roof up. But above 60 it's really noisy with the hood up and there are some weird vibes especially when the engine's under load. Quite strange, they don't seem to be there with the top open.

It's a convertible. That's what it's good at. Maybe I need a tin top 205 too?

My 306 GTi used to collect water in its interior light then dispense it upon unsuspecting passengers when going round corners.

• 1 month later...

First mechanical failure today...

I attempted to put the clock back an hour. Adjusted by half an hour and it broke. Now the setting knob won't do anything. And the clock is noisier than it used to be. It was already pretty noisy. I'm thinking either disconnect the battery until the right time comes around, or just look at my watch. I wonder if the clock has its own fuse? That would be an easy way to stop it.

Good news is that the water leak has been solved by parking it the other way round. So far seems to be staying bone dry...touch wood.

Was thinking about putting it away for winter but it's still much fun with the roof up and the heater on... lovely little thing.

• 1 month later...

Just putting it out there... I keep thinking about a van. Predictably enough, although roof down is still fun in December, I'm currently mainly using a car for lugging stuff about, so this isn't seeing much use.

I fancy a small van that's long enough to sleep in and which I can chuck muddy bikes in the back of... longer term I kind of fancy doing a basic micro camper/surf van conversion.

At the moment favourites are a LWB Transit Connect (petrol would be amazing) or a Citroen Dispatch/Peugeot Expert/Fiat Scudo. I'd like a C15D but I think they're probably a bit small.

I also keep looking at anything cheap to run (i.e. classic insurance and lowish tax band) with a towbar, as that would solve the bike lugging issue I've got at the moment.

I'm going to tag this as swaps, but I'm not holding my breath as nobody wants a convertible this time of year. And as soon as spring arrives I'll probably change my mind.

Just putting it out there... I keep thinking about a van. Predictably enough, although roof down is still fun in December, I'm currently mainly using a car for lugging stuff about, so this isn't seeing much use.

I fancy a small van that's long enough to sleep in and which I can chuck muddy bikes in the back of... longer term I kind of fancy doing a basic micro camper/surf van conversion.

At the moment favourites are a LWB Transit Connect (petrol would be amazing) or a Citroen Dispatch/Peugeot Expert/Fiat Scudo. I'd like a C15D but I think they're probably a bit small.

I also keep looking at anything cheap to run (i.e. classic insurance and lowish tax band) with a towbar, as that would solve the bike lugging issue I've got at the moment.

I'm going to tag this as swaps, but I'm not holding my breath as nobody wants a convertible this time of year. And as soon as spring arrives I'll probably change my mind.

Don't get too excited if you are, but are you interested in a straight sale? Mrs P is interested in something like this, but I don't know how soon she'd buy something, what her budget is blah blah blah.

Isn’t there a cheap loved fiat van floating about on here?

Yeah, you're right. I've PM'd him to ask how long it is...maybe a bit small?

In that quest for the "perfect" vehicle I'd sort of ruled it out. Am a bit scared of Fiats, plus ideally I'd like something with 3 seats and a bit more space. And a petrol engine...

...meanwhile in the real world...as you say it's cheap and loved...so if it's also 6ft long it probably ticks all the important boxes.