Peugeot 205 CJ - fixed and probably available for sells/swaps

Marm Toastsmith

• 2 weeks later...

In a bored moment decided to order some fresh number plates in the proper font. Big up A1 Show Plates who were super quick, and reasonably priced. The plates look absolutely spot on - compare the original and new rear. Previously the rear was correct but faded, the front was wrong, also mounted wonky. Waste of money but car looks fresher and more "right" somehow.

DSCF0662.JPG

DSCF0664.JPG

DSCF0665.JPG

DSCF0666.JPG

DSCF0667.JPG

• 1 month later...

They are fantastic cars, handling wise they are quite mini like in that you can just chuck them into a corner, cock a leg and somehow get round. Comfort wise they are a million times better though. The 1.4 engine is a cracker and revs happily giving surprisingly good acceleration. Interiors are a lesson in 80s/90s plastic and all the more fun for it.

• 3 months later...

This poor little thing is still lying unloved in an unnamed street in North London. My attempts to find it a new home came to nothing so I’m planning to pick it up as soon as I can and give it the love it deserves. First (as it’s parked near my mechanic’s place, and he has the keys) I’m going to try to get a couple of bigger jobs done...

Mechanic is moaning about getting bits, so I just ordered these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371892892860

The gaiters on the current driveshafts are knackered and they click when you turn tightly. So might as well... but messages to the seller a while back shed some doubt on whether they are the right parts. From the listing they look to be compatible, but can any of our Peugeot lickers confirm whether they’re likely to fit?

The other big ish job is exhaust replacement. Mechanic said bits alone would cost him £200, which is a bit much given how simple the system is. So I’m considering a custom stainless system, but if I can get the standard bits cheap then I’ll either get him to fit it or DIY. There seem to be lots of small variations on the standard system...and it’s pretty hard to tell which of the similar parts coming up on eBay are the right ones? Is there anywhere online where I can order a system cheaply, using the reg number, and be confident that it will fit?

18 minutes ago, dozeydustman said:

I didn’t think the TU engined MA gearbox 205s had an intermediate bearing on the long driveshaft.

First impression is they’re from a 1.6, 1.9 or diesel, but they could be using a generic photo.

Mk1 205s had equal length driveshafts

Thanks... in the compatibility list it’s all TU engined cars as far as I can tell...not sure about gearboxes though... I guess either it’s a generic photo or the listing’s totally wrong. Did you have a look at the list?

32 minutes ago, marm said:

This poor little thing is still lying unloved in an unnamed street in North London. My attempts to find it a new home came to nothing so I’m planning to pick it up as soon as I can and give it the love it deserves. First (as it’s parked near my mechanic’s place, and he has the keys) I’m going to try to get a couple of bigger jobs done...

Mechanic is moaning about getting bits, so I just ordered these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371892892860

The gaiters on the current driveshafts are knackered and they click when you turn tightly. So might as well... but messages to the seller a while back shed some doubt on whether they are the right parts. From the listing they look to be compatible, but can any of our Peugeot lickers confirm whether they’re likely to fit?

The other big ish job is exhaust replacement. Mechanic said bits alone would cost him £200, which is a bit much given how simple the system is. So I’m considering a custom stainless system, but if I can get the standard bits cheap then I’ll either get him to fit it or DIY. There seem to be lots of small variations on the standard system...and it’s pretty hard to tell which of the similar parts coming up on eBay are the right ones? Is there anywhere online where I can order a system cheaply, using the reg number, and be confident that it will fit?

When I was tempted by it, I ran the reg through Mr Exhaust (think they’re in Surrey or something). They had ace reviews. 

Also, I’ll drive it to Devon for you. 

21 hours ago, mat_the_cat said:

Can't remember the gearbox code, but the TU engined XS definitely had an intermediate bearing in the long driveshaft. That was actually the first FWD driveshaft I ever changed!

I don’t remember my aunt’s 205GR with the standard tune TU3 having an intermediate bearing, It was one of the very first TU engined ones so it may have been a later revision

Long time no update... after months of not much happening to the little 205 (it was at least garaged by my mechanic, who obviously felt sorry for it), I finally ordered a cheap full exhaust off eBay, and drove up to London to help him fit it. Actually it was more like he fitted it while I rolled about on the floor ineffectually... but we got there in the end. It's a fruity sounding one, (mechanic described it as "hollow") which is actually a relief as I'd been grieving the potential loss of rortiness with the knackered one's replacement.

Exhaust fitted, oil checked (dipstick found broken) and battery charged, it having done no miles since probably July, it started and ran perfectly. For a treat, I put some petrol in it. The brakes didn't really seem to be working, but after ragging it round London for an hour or so I'd either got used to them, or freed/cleaned them up to the extent that I felt confident* to drive it to Devon. So in preparation I spent the night in the pub with some old friends, had a skinful, went back to a mate's place for more beers, and crashed on the sofa.

The next day I loaded it up with furniture and records and drove it home with a hangover. The car was great, although predictably enough despite beautiful sunshine most of the way, by dusk - about the time I made it to Exeter - I was in the middle of a thunderstorm. It started sleeting at Haldon Hill just as the roads were getting wilder, and I had some doubts about the 4 budget ditchfinders fitted. Still... I made it.

DSCF4395.thumb.JPG.e075dcf4428d8be6e4c7092eac6048d6.JPG

And here it is outside my new shite house.

DSCF4397.thumb.JPG.49d1c4d2056c7cfaa1cf7a06edb0c05e.JPG

Since then not much has happened... well... I haven't used it much anyway. I did manage to back the CR-V into it. The CR-V won. Oh and we drove it to the beach on Christmas day with the roof down. That was nice.

Photo1077.jpg.9d0bcaf6de8fd5c5b4d6b599018b80ac.jpgPhoto1081.jpg.4ce3e8076c45dde4cf555b8ce4b48ac8.jpg

DSCF4398.thumb.JPG.a0cd54f8ea23164e366bc9214c01dac8.JPG

Right now I'm thinking again about trying to sell it again... just not using it enough - I work from home, and just don't really drive much. Also with a house to decorate I have neither time to fiddle with it nor space in the garage... The MOT is in March. So then I have to explore local garages or drive it back to London where I can get it through an MOT for sensible money...

I love it though... would have another... but ideally a more useful hatchback, so I can use it for lugging bikes and going to the tip. Or maybe something similar ish like an AX or a 106.

So it's for sale - or swap. £800 would take it away, and IMO it's a pretty good one for that money. Needs nothing to make it usable but plenty to fix/tidy if you get bored. If the sun ever shines I'll give it a wash and do a proper ad.

12 hours ago, loserone said:

Yeah I agree, I think these are excellent.  Better to drive than the 306 cabriolet and probably more practical too (except for the lap belts in the back if you have SMOLL kids)

Agreed, and you can also get car seats for little shiters that work on lap belts alone but they are harder to find.

1 hour ago, loserone said:

And expensive! Two would have cost what I paid for my CJ

I paid about £120 as opposed to about £80 for the normal one. But that was 12 years ago. A bit hike percentage wise but not an horrendous amount at the time. Have you looked at buying one more recently? I guess the market for them must be almost none existent now whereas when I got ours there were a couple to choose from in mothercare and they were roughly the price of a top end seat.