Improbable MPG Figures - Post Yours

Broadsword

319 miles in SWMBO's 2.4 Suzuki yesterday; North Wales and back on A roads showed 38.3 mpg, which for a little black TonkaToy is pretty good.

post-17481-0-44910800-1502357398_thumb.jpg

That would be about 35 miles from a real brim to brim gallon.

Not sure what the Rover is achieving in terms of MPG, I stuck a tenner in on Thursday for MOT. After the MOT and pottering about town and to/from work I've achieved 24 miles and the fuel light has come on. I got 56 miles out of £20 before I;d stuck that tenner in.

Not too bad really...

Smiles per miles ;)

When I was about 12 I made a folder of running costs per mile for various new cars. This was based on fuel price alone and the one that sticks in my memory was the Daewoo Matiz which would cost 10p per mile to fuel.

I was thinking about this when I filled up the other day. I always brim my V6 75 so it’s nice and easy to do a tank-to-tank MPG calculation. I paid 113.9ppl for petrol, and filled up with 58 litres (55l tank, so assume I’m filling some pipe work too). Over my last full tank I achieved 452 miles. The cost of the fuel was £66.13 which over 452 miles equals 0.146.

So my notoriously thirsty V6 petrol costs me 15p a mile to fuel. I don’t do 12000 miles a year, but if I did the extra cost in fuel to drive a Rover 75 vs a Daewoo Matiz is £600 a year. This doesn’t take into account that fuel was also cheaper in 2002 that it is now - so there’d be even less of a difference.

Where have I gone wrong?!

Without a doubt - but the whole thread is about MPG and the swing to diesel in the last few years is purely about fuel cost, at least for the private owner (let’s not get into company drivers and BIK!).

I’ve rechecked and the Matiz would actually be 8.4ppm. So over 12000 miles the difference would be more like £800. Still looks like good value to me.

Yup, sounds good value to me.

Another example is Hairnet's 500cc commuter bike, that does about 60mpg he says. My 1400cc monster does 42mpg, well worth the difference in my book.

Without a doubt - but the whole thread is about MPG and the swing to diesel in the last few years is purely about fuel cost, at least for the private owner (let’s not get into company drivers and BIK!).

I’ve rechecked and the Matiz would actually be 8.4ppm. So over 12000 miles the difference would be more like £800. Still looks like good value to me.

I'm not sure if it's all about fuel costs, I'd rather drive a torquey diesel than a highly strung modern NA petrol.

I'm not sure if it's all about fuel costs, I'd rather drive a torquey diesel than a highly strung modern NA petrol.

True.

I keep switching to be honest. My car history goes petrol, diesel, petrol, diesel etc...

Some petrols have been great (8v Vauxhalls!), Others not so. I must admit out of the petrol and diesel 75s the petrol is the better suited to the car. It's not as quick as the diesel but there's no vibration and sounds lovely.

I'd probably take a 4 pot diesel over a 4 pot petrol though.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

This thread is about mpg figures.  I get 40 mpg from my LPG Astra Mk3.

I pay about 53p/litre from Countrywide or some others.  That equates to 6p/mile for just fuel.  

I have coaxed 55mpg out of it on petrol, and I hope to get the LPG figure up a bit by improving the ignition timing.  I doubt I will get to 5p/mile.

It's probably about the same weight as a small diesel hatchback in 2017.

As far as I know, there's not much weight difference between my 850 and my golf. Light volvo, heavy golf.

I just looked it up because it's raining and I don't want to go out to look at the plates. Volvo is 1412kg, Golf is 1239kg. There's not a lot in that!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Brim to brim in the Saab got me 27.24mpg for the last tank full. Dash shows 29.1mpg currently but is due to drop as it's done long trips recently.

Oh & it was still running fine with 3miles left on the range display.

Best MPG I've ever acheived was in a Škoda Superb 2.0 TDI DSG estate. Picked it up in Cheltenham on 1/4 tank, got home and it still hasn't gone into the red. Checked the avg consumption and according to that it had managed 75.4 mpg.

As I'd not put any fuel in and driven the thing 166 miles, I believe it.

How does instantaneous MPG work?

The readings my Jag puts out reek of bullshit, 199 Liters per 100 is its favorite reading

From what I know, they variously use a lookup based on the airflow sensor, or based on the amount of fuel that should be going through the injectors. There's probably other more black magic ways of doing it too.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

My Espace returned 26mpg on its first tank, which was one drive back from Leeds to Bristol and then pootling here and there.

On the current tank it says it's averaging 18.4mpg. FML.

It is fun though.

Is it broken? My car has a 5.7 V8 and gets about 21mpg