Skiz learnz weldz

Skizzer

Agree with Cort16's suggestion of reading the FB Victor 'making panels' thread on RR for inspiration and tips. That thread inspired me to have a to myself back in 2011, and I've never looked back!

Welder's ear is the worst! I had a particularly nasty one when I was welding up the sills on the Sierra, extremely painful it was. I now put my ear defenders on the back of my head, upside down to cover my ears while I'm lying under cars welding with my helmet on! Bit of a faff but it does the job.

0.8mm is too thin for repairs. It should be 1mm for body panels and either 1.2 or 1.5 for structural stuff but I like to use 1.2 for body panels and 1.5 for structural.

Cereal box card is ideal for making templates for repair sections. Spend some time with scissors perfecting your template before transferring it onto steel.

1mm cutting discs are the best for cutting sheet steel.

Question for the pro's - do you really need a new piece of steel or is a cleaned up bonnet from a scrapper just as good once cleaned?

Bonnet or roof will 'do' if yer not over 'anal' about metal thickness; if yer using it patch up say 'inner sills' - the sections from the bonnet - in terms of metal thickness will be a bit thinner .1mm to .2mm thinner, say, in compassion to an inner sill/stiffner--- if its an over lapped patch you can scrub down 5mm in from the edge to save on paint'... basically if its a 'get it through' the test or whatever patch; bonnet or roof cut is 'fine' - anything 'high end' like a jag / rolls etc or a car you want to keep for many years, best to use the right thickness metal...

I'm certainly no proffessional but my tip would be to ditch the big gloves and buy some Tig welding gloves, I get mine from tool station for less than £5. They are much thinner and allow easier hand movement but still offer good protection.

I'm certainly no proffessional but my tip would be to ditch the big gloves and buy some Tig welding gloves, I get mine from tool station for less than £5. They are much thinner and allow easier hand movement but still offer good protection.

I have the same gloves as Skiz is wearing and can assure they are good for putting out fires in the underseal.

The only problem is the gloves then take on the molten underseal and the act as a wick whenever any fire is present!

He has been mistaken for half of Daft Punk and is currently half way through an Asian stadium tour. He has no idea what he is doing but is finding that making it up as he goes seems to be working just fine considering this is what Daft Punk seem to do anyway

It's all the same once cleaned up. In fact old panels can be quite useful when making up repair sections. I used a Kia front wing to fix my puma arches and used a bit of old cortina sill to repair the a pillar on the same car.

I have a Corsa C rear doorskin that has been providing patch repairs and the like were necessary. OMG Not all voxawls ar shit...

Something must have gone terribly wrong.

Where is Skizzer???

Thank you for your concern - I am alive, I've just been camping in an empty part of Africa in a leggy Discovery 3. Back soon with pictures of shonky old Toyotas and a Peugeot 404 that doubles as a kitchen table.