Jump to content

A New Beginning: The Scrubworkshop


Recommended Posts

Posted

Best of luck with the new venture, very envious of that space!

If possible I'd look to get a 2nd lift in there, perhaps a 4 poster or at least another 2 poster. Each one gains you a parking space, and having a car blocking a ramp whilst waiting for parts gets old quickly!

And put in twice as many lights as you think you need!

  • Like 2
Posted
5 minutes ago, warninglight said:

Best of luck with the new venture, very envious of that space!

If possible I'd look to get a 2nd lift in there, perhaps a 4 poster or at least another 2 poster. Each one gains you a parking space, and having a car blocking a ramp whilst waiting for parts gets old quickly!

And put in twice as many lights as you think you need!

I could put in another in the corner occupied by the Demio, it would be nice (the first will be going in the opposite corner near the fire escape). I'll have to see how my remaining budget looks once it's kitted out with one lift. Since I'll be working on classics, I anticipate the works needed will often take longer (ie, welding, bodywork, engine rebuilds) than your typical modern car repairs will, so parts delivery will be less urgent, and the need to get cars in and out a lot won't be there. I'm going to try not to create too much of a backlog of customers as well, as a solo mechanic. I'm playing it a bit by ear though, so you may turn out to be completely right.

I agree on the lighting, although it is already very good. Having the skylights redone will bring in tons of natural light too.

  • Like 2
Posted

A recent acquisition for the workshop, this chonky steel table:
IMG20260817192506.jpg.9d7591fe83f6dd207e37ba6d7c2dfa89.jpg

It was £200 from a farmer on eBay. The surface is 2x1m, and 12mm thick, and the legs are 10cm square box section with 5mm walls, so this thing is heavy. It will need to be wire-brushed back to remove all the old paint, and the random bits welded to the surface cut off, but other than that it's perfect for my needs. Fortunately the farmer had a forklift with which to plop it on my trailer, but after I took this picture back at my mum's farm (where it's living for the moment) it took three of us to barely tip it off the trailer. I'm going to weld some caster wheels to the legs so it can be winched on and off the trailer.

I was going to build a workbench like this from scratch, but when I priced up a 2x1m 10mm steel plate to form the top, that alone came to £900. So £200 for one ready-made is a bargain, even after the diesel to move it.

Posted

Congratulations on the workshop, hope everything works out how you want and it doesn't need to become a yoga studio.

Posted

Nice workshop! Good luck with it. What part of Devon are you in?

Posted

Blimey, that's a(nother) big journey you've been on! Workshop looks great, I wish you all the very best with it. Keep posting!

 

Posted
5 hours ago, Matty said:

Is the Mog on the road now @Scrubworks?

It was, although I was having suspension issues with it, and it really needs time on the ramp to sort both that and a centre crossmember replacement. I also managed to run it a bit low on oil and slightly knacker the rod bearings, but I can change them in situ and I'm sure the engine will then be fine 😅. It's just fallen a bit by the wayside in recent months, like the rest of my non-daily cars.

Posted
7 hours ago, dave j said:

Nice workshop! Good luck with it. What part of Devon are you in?

The best part, Somerset :P.

Posted
On 29/08/2026 at 23:02, Scrubworks said:

The best part, Somerset :P.

I have to agree with that!!!

  • Like 1
Posted
4 hours ago, 2flags said:

I have to agree with that!!!

Going down to the workshop one time a month or so ago, I missed the turning, and so had to proceed to the next one to turn around, where I saw the most Somerset thing ever: a giant white sign with black, all caps letters and an arrow pointing saying, "CIDER 1/2 A MILE"

Ooo arrr praper jaaaab!

  • Like 2
Posted

The best thing is you can buy it by the gallon!! Be careful, it robs you of your legs first!! Hilarious, as long as it's not you! 🤣

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

Spent a couple of days down at the workshop doing things. Firstly I delivered the chonky table. As I said previously, I welded a caster wheel to each leg, so that it could be winched on and then off my car trailer. Winching it on the trailer at my mum's farm was challenging enough with three people, but when I tried to winch it off the trailer at the workshop by myself, one of the legs rolled off the trailer ramp, and I couldn't lift it back on again (this table probably weighs about a quarter ton). So, I just let the winch out and let the table land where it may. Where it landed, was on the floor, on its side. Well, at least it was off the trailer. I then borrowed a trolley jack from the guys at the next workshop over, who are my new neighbours, and spend their time fiddling with lorries and vans for a food delivery firm; really nice guys actually. Trying to jack up the table so I could right it, it then did the opposite, and tipped over fully upside-down. Bugger.
I then had to go over the road to a logistics company warehouse, and grovel for them to come and save me with their forklift. Thankfully they obliged, and didn't even accept a few quid for their trouble, though I offered. So, table finally in workshop, in correct orientation.

IMG20260910143330.jpg.f6fc1c72f280ea12f3f60e6bcd65121e.jpg

As you can see from the supplies on the table, its first use was in the replacement of my guttering. This is what I started with:

IMG20260909163831.jpg.d14e60f2d909cb1a067463411a32ee51.jpgIMG20260909163907.jpg.6f21ef211e9537df06a9fe34a2cb5f37.jpg

The guttering was attached before I took it down, and then decided to take a picture, but it may as well not have been. The people who put up the previous guttering neglected to consider gravity in the work, insofar as, if you don't slope the guttering towards the drainpipe, the water won't actually run towards it. Funny that. Because of this, large amounts of water was pooling in various sections of the gutter, causing the plastic to sag, and, eventually, the water to run over the side, down the building, and rendering the guttering basically useless. Indeed, when I took the old gutter down, it drenched my arm with a litre of dirty water that hadn't drained. You can also see that the fascia boards supporting the gutter were even more rotten than some of my cars. Fortunately new timber was only about £50 from a local builders merchant. My helpful neighbours also leant me a ladder (I think they were as fed up of the old guttering as I was). I've never done this sort of thing, or indeed any kind of construction, but it didn't turn out to be too difficult to put the new boards up. The new guttering was a little more involved, as you need to mount the brackets for each section, making sure they are a gentle slope to the drainpipe as mentioned previously, then fit the actual gutter. My method turned out to be eyeballing the brackets, fitting the gutter, then tipping some water into the gutter to make sure it flowed away correctly, and when it didn't, repositioning the offending brackets. After a couple of hours, I ended up with this:

IMG20260910140605.jpg.7b2f0e0372ac6af773f805403b4c48a6.jpgIMG20260910140642.jpg.b5f3cdc9c96ea38f564b187133b96fec.jpg

Much better. The eagle-eyed amongst you will have noticed that the guttering in the right picture doesn't go all the way to the end. There is a very good reason for this; I didn't order enough gutter 🙃. Fortunately Screwfix has sections of this particular gutter type in stock, so finishing it will be easy. The door on that side of the building is covered now, at least.

Next task is some wiring, and some plumbing. I've got some tradesmen coming around on Monday to quote me for the work, so I'll make sure to wear my finest negligee for a discount. After that, I can order the exciting stuff; lift, compressor, dustpan & brush, all that good shit.

Posted

You are right to tackle the guttering first. Water pissing in helps no one.

  • Agree 2
Posted

Lovely stuff. Never had the balls to work for myself. Everything crossed for you here pal.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...