Collection - Saturday. Destination W. Midlands

garethj

Somewhere between the M6 toll road and the M6 is a bit like between nighttime and dawn; a magical place where dreams and reality meet.  That’s where I’m headed tomorrow, to collect a car for my daughter.

Stage 2 needs me to be fleeced by a train company, stage 3 is by car and I’m not sure about stage 1 yet, but you can overplan these things, right?

IMG_1378.jpeg.1aa7793774dee9c1d8e9162ec7c75462.jpeg

Add an experience, the ticket says.  As I’ve just experienced paying more for a train ticket than the petrol costs of an 8.2 litre Cadillac, I’ll probably be alright for any other experiences, thanks.

Is that journey long enough to justify snacks? If not, maybe go via Stoke or Swindon or somewhere in order to have time for snacks? Need time for snacks. Snacks.

Bon route.

Stage one needs to be accomplished by something like bareback yak or something. It's all about the clicks 😁. Good luck bud!

34 minutes ago, Matty said:

Stage one needs to be accomplished by something like bareback yak or something. It's all about the clicks 😁. Good luck bud!

The obvious way is to drive to the railway station car park and try and get a ticket from their Enigma machine crossed with a fucking fax machine, so travelling by yak is perhaps a lot more straightforward.

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, garethj said:

The obvious way is to drive to the railway station car park and try and get a ticket from their Enigma machine crossed with a fax machine, so travelling by yak is perhaps a lot more straightforward.

Any clues of what it is?

I’m going to say a car.

Gzongenflatch
In memory of Phil.

3 minutes ago, Matty said:

Any clues of what it is?

My mistake, let’s get the clues!

image.png.585cd7111690a37fc5e5e58281979269.png

My first is in Simca, but not in Talbot.  My second is in Queen, but not in King.  I can’t be bothered with the rest, but it’s something I can insure two of my kids on for under £1500 and it’s a sporty 3 door hatch.  The manufacturer is the slightly fizzier part of a rather staid group.

When I think back to my first car aged 17, back in 1988, the spec of this is incredible.  Alloy wheels, aircon, ABS, fuel injection, 16 valves…. The only way my car would have had 16 valves is if you count the ones in the tyres and the ones in the radio.

I don't want to be a bus driver

All my life

I'm gonna pack my bags and leave this town

Grab a flight

Fly away on Venga airways

Fly me high.

Chod speed.

30 minutes ago, Agila said:

All my life 

Not even if it's the Vengabus? 

7 hours ago, Agila said:

All my life

I'm gonna pack my bags and leave this town

Grab a flight

Fly away on Venga airways

Fly me high.

Chod speed.

Yea!, he's gone an' bought an Ibiza!

Or a Kia Venga.

• Haha 2

Stage 1 - take the teeny tiny car to the station.  I can either leave it in the car park or pop it in the overhead luggage rack.

image.png.c8cbb51d1598fcc0c45ee871c98456bb.png

• Like 2

When it says “contacting bank”, my card gets me patched through directly to my bank manager.

IMG_1384.jpeg.109000673f25959fb355174e2792b379.jpeg

Tersely, “Yes?”

”Uh, hi, it’s Gareth.  Can I pay for a parking ticket please?”

”What for?  Where are you going?  Is it for a job interview?  If they pay more, you’re fucking taking it, you cunt.”

”Err, no, just a train to Coventry please.”

”What the fuck are you going there for?  It’s not to buy a fucking car is it?”

Confidently, “Of course not, purely for tourism purposes.  It is actually my money you know.”

”What the fuck has that got to do with anything?  Go on then, piss off.  Oh, and Gareth?”

Swallows “Yes?”

”I’m watching you.”  *click*

Train from Bletchley to Milton Keynes is delayed, obvs.  Do I sneak onto an earlier one which is running late?

Hell yeah!  I am such a rebel

EDIT: Glad I did that, the outgoing train from Milton Keynes is late too 🙄

Posted (edited)

Likewise it was great to meet @garethj and his Son, couldn't wish for nicer people. Hopefully the little Seat will create as many happy memories as it did for my Sister.  😁

BTW I hope you get a decent Fathers Day present this year, after for all the effort / expenditure !! 

Edited by Burnside
error
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, garethj said:

When it says “contacting bank”, my card gets me patched through directly to my bank manager.

IMG_1384.jpeg.109000673f25959fb355174e2792b379.jpeg

Tersely, “Yes?”

”Uh, hi, it’s Gareth.  Can I pay for a parking ticket please?”

”What for?  Where are you going?  Is it for a job interview?  If they pay more, you’re fucking taking it, you cunt.”

”Err, no, just a train to Coventry please.”

”What the fuck are you going there for?  It’s not to buy a fucking car is it?”

Confidently, “Of course not, purely for tourism purposes.  It is actually my money you know.”

”What the fuck has that got to do with anything?  Go on then, piss off.  Oh, and Gareth?”

Swallows “Yes?”

”I’m watching you.”  *click*

2 hours ago, garethj said:

Arrived home, a lovely trip in a really great car.  Thanks to @Burnside, recommended seller👍IMG_1395.jpeg.1acf7ab7c994c4f9d0c491a7383afbd3.jpeg

Is your daughter called Saffron....

37 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Is your daughter called Saffron....

Sadly not, but we do play the yellow car game, and she’s just been dealt the winning hand😀

• Haha 2

Really glad to see my sister's Seat has gone to a great a home, sorry I couldn't be there myself to say hello but wish you and your daughter all the very best with it 👍

• Like 2