1987 Ford Sierra Sapphire 1.8L - Fun with carburettor - see page 36

Peter C

1 hour ago, N19 said:

I know a fairly common fault on Capris is that one of the voltage regulators goes faulty on the fuel gauge, which causes the wild variations displayed, it's a dash out job. If it's that it may be quicker and easier to keep the tank topped up!

Definitely worth looking into, thank you!

Hello Silverstone.

IMG_6427.jpeg.eb58b9b63f3a74c37e83dfbcb00b3fcd.jpeg

Unfortunately, Japfest is on today.

It’s all a bit too Banzai for the Sierra. Not sure it fits in with the locals.

IMG_6429.jpeg.f5b2f17d9788b1c6294169a09e940668.jpeg

How about this for inspiration? It’s one way to sort out the Sierra’s paint issues.

IMG_6430.jpeg.fc351422907337c4e03c5b1895ad4838.jpeg

Maybe not.

We have reached the village of Aldbury. 

IMG_6432.jpeg.9b7cab7fdd31fd7a605a0ef499215272.jpeg

Two issues.

I’m getting burning oil smells from the dashboard vents but I’ve checked all around and under the engine, there’s no sign of anything amiss. Odd.

Second issue, the fuel gauge has now completely given up the ghost.

IMG_6431.jpeg.30196c7bd4aad11c588fa64fe0e25f96.jpeg

I’ll be heading home soon. I will stop off at my local Esso and brim the tank. I will then work out the MPG and rely upon the trip meter , if I can’t sort out the fuel gauge problem.

3 hours ago, Peter C said:

My dream has come true, I’ve driven the Sierra up the A413, heading north west. The only issue that I’ve noticed is an erratic fuel gauge. I know the tank is almost full but the needle keeps dropping to zero, then rises and drops again.

First destination reached. A Gulf petrol station in Whitchurch, located between Aylesbury and Buckingham. Before I bought my first Sierra from my then girlfriend’s dad, he let me borrow it for a very extended test drive and I remember putting fuel in the tank at this very station, which, remarkably, still exist today.

IMG_6417.jpeg.8dbbd78b10bfd69a72cc6df2c6638852.jpeg

I’m heading further up the A413 towards Buckingham. 31k miles will tick over shortly.

IMG_6419.jpeg.c29a589c523f911df83dfd0706920c82.jpeg

More very soon.

That's on the way to mums/the FoD and usually the cheapest around too! I've got used to where the needle on the Xsara needs to be for me to make it there and avoid the expensive Thame stations now

3 hours ago, Peter C said:

IMG_6420.jpeg.72bbbd1e2676e72864393d86e3dd1f8a.jpeg

I drove past Buckingham this morning, I was so close to diverting off the bypass and driving through town - would have been great to catch sight of this!

• Like 2

I'm a firm believer that a car that's been laid up for a while can only be improved by going out for a decent drive and sorting out these niggles. Love this car and the thread has inspired me to push forwards on the Capri, as nothing better on a Sunday than a drive out on country roads for no specific purpose.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Stopped off at Esso, managed to squeeze in 18.2 litres of unleaded. On the basis that I’ve clocked up 157 miles since I brimmed the tank last Sunday, that means the Sierra has averaged 39MPG. Bloody amazing but bear in mind that 99% of the distance was driven in zero traffic conditions and between 30-65MPH.

IMG_6435.jpeg.0c8bd9650558af12ea9a75caddb4bca0.jpeg

With the tank full, the fuel gauge has made a welcome return.

IMG_6436.jpeg.b6e9a9ac54d9b7dee6db04194c4121e7.jpeg

33 minutes ago, Bren said:

Crank case fumes?

I don’t think so.

I think it’s exhaust fumes. When I got home I had a look under the bonnet again and found this.

IMG_6437.jpeg.9bbf7065147985894a8e4ed58e180be3.jpeg

At first I thought it was a broken stud but no, it’s just a very loose nut with a missing washer.

I will remove all the studs one by one and refit them with new washers. Fingers crossed, that will solve the problem.

As far as I can feel with my hand, there is no blow from the manifold to downpipe joint, which is a potential problem that has already been flagged up here before.

11 minutes ago, Peter C said:

Stopped off at Esso, managed to squeeze in 18.2 litres of unleaded. On the basis that I’ve clocked up 157 miles since I brimmed the tank last Sunday, that means the Sierra has averaged 39MPG. Bloody amazing but bear in mind that 99% of the distance was driven in zero traffic conditions and between 30-65MPH.

With the tank full, the fuel gauge has made a welcome return.

I used to get about that from my 2.0 litre Pinto Mk1.  Could get over 40 if I really nursed it along.  

Great to see it out and about.  Thanks for taking the time to do so many posts, really appreciate it.  

I’ve just ordered a full set of new studs, nuts and washers for the exhaust manifold.

IMG_1555.png.fce6cb9d088b9ddd663be23c05c9755d.png

At £5.95 it’s a no brainer.

55 minutes ago, lisbon_road said:

Thanks for taking the time to do so many posts, really appreciate it.  

Sharing my exploits with you scallywags is half the fun of owning a 37 year old Ford.    

Great to see the Sierra out and about.

Check thoroughly underneath the manifold for a blow before you start changing all the studs and gaskets.  I wasted an afternoon 25 years ago changing them all and still had an issue as the manifold itself was either cracked or damaged badly enough that it wouldn't seal to the downpipe. 

It's really good to see this old survivor looking so tidy now 

Your smell isn't the paint coating on the  exhaust getting nice and hot and releasing its newness smell that tends to disappears after a couple of heat cycles ?

2 minutes ago, Joey spud said:

Your smell isn't the paint coating on the  exhaust getting nice and hot and releasing its newness smell that tends to disappears after a couple of heat cycles ?

I hear what you’re saying but I’m pretty sure it’s exhaust gases.

The smell is definitely coming from the engine bay.

Just now, N19 said:

and/or penetrating fluid (WD40, plusgas or similar) on fixings burning off?

Believe me, the smell is bad. I still have a headache.

The residue from WD40 etc would have burned off by now.

Great to see all the progress on this, and it being out on the road being enjoyed. You’ve done really well with it.

Talking of exhaust smells, when I put the exhaust system back on my Capri after its restoration I was getting a little blow from the centre joint. I thought I’d be clever and sort it permanently by mixing up a bit of chemical metal putty, rolling it into a sausage shape then pushing it into the leaking joint, then tighten the clamp up. 
It’s worked at sealing the joint, but it absolutely stinks to hell when it gets hot. Everywhere around the car has a horrible fishy smell!😅 obviously that putty stuff doesn’t like getting hot!

Maybe you just need to drive faster so the exhaust gases don't have time to reach the cabin? 

(and with it all being so clean under there would a bit more driving to leave a clear and visible black skid mark be beneficial? You'd know exactly where it was coming from then) 

I'd not have a clue on the Xsara, it's all so filthy under there any exhaust blow would blend right in 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Very satisfying having an (almost) trouble free run.

I'd leave the fuel gauge, as you use the car and the sender arm moves back and forth there is every chance it cleans itself up and starts working across the full range.

Looking at the brochure my preferred choice would be a 2.3D Sapphire base. I bet there aren't any of them left!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Peter C said:

hear what you’re saying but I’m pretty sure it’s exhaust gases.

The smell is definitely coming from the engine bay

Sounds like you will be grinding those other 4 nuts after all. 

19 hours ago, Peter C said:

I’m getting burning oil smells from the dashboard vents

Feu Orange Original Retro Nostalgic Traffic Light Car Air | Etsy UK

33 minutes ago, garbaldy said:

I know, it makes sense to replace these nuts and the gasket.

39 minutes ago, garbaldy said:

I was thinking about sorting out this issue whilst nodding off to sleep last night.

Gasket ordered.

IMG_6442.png.b119991a26d8fb9ac461766730c2fcc1.png

• Like 2