Ridiculous trim designations

grogee

Well, you say that. I know a young lady, 30 years old and 3 kids. Is a sales director and quite wealthy. But she only got the job because the company went bankrupt and she took out a loan to be in the mix for a management buy out. Fair play, they're doing well now, but I've never seen anyone fall for the most basic marketing tricks as much as she does.

'I don't mind paying Audi main dealer prices because they treat me well'.

No, they treat you well because they like to smile while they rip you off.

And that's just one example - the amount of money her family burns through to achieve nothing is simply crazy. £1200 phones every year, paying extra to have someone guide you to an airport terminal.. all the bollocks. I mean, if you have the cash and you want to... Why not I guess, but it doesn't take many idiots to make a marketing campaign worthwhile.

I mean Audi and BMW are still marketed as premium products and people still pay premium prices for this shit - and for ultimate proof of the gullibility of the upwardly mobile, I have 3 words for you.

Jaguar. Land. Rover.

• Like 3

On 24/07/2023 at 22:05, adw1977 said:

The base model Sierra Sapphire was also called Classic at one time.  I owned one.

I think “Classic” smells of Friday afternoon, can’t think of anything else but got to come up with a name before I go home.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Sham said:

Well, you say that. I know a young lady, 30 years old and 3 kids. Is a sales director and quite wealthy. But she only got the job because the company went bankrupt and she took out a loan to be in the mix for a management buy out. Fair play, they're doing well now, but I've never seen anyone fall for the most basic marketing tricks as much as she does.

'I don't mind paying Audi main dealer prices because they treat me well'.

No, they treat you well because they like to smile while they rip you off.

And that's just one example - the amount of money her family burns through to achieve nothing is simply crazy. £1200 phones every year, paying extra to have someone guide you to an airport terminal.. all the bollocks. I mean, if you have the cash and you want to... Why not I guess, but it doesn't take many idiots to make a marketing campaign worthwhile.

I mean Audi and BMW are still marketed as premium products and people still pay premium prices for this shit - and for ultimate proof of the gullibility of the upwardly mobile, I have 3 words for you.

Jaguar. Land. Rover.

I really wish I could be like one of those guys with an M-Sport. One day! 😂

AirDream? wtf is that? Less harmful Pipe Dream?
Mind you - I misread the second line as Despot - now that's be a decent trim line name

image.png.cafeb957af16df8e10e9c76dd7568634.png

Airdream: Air Biscuit more like. Yeah Citroën have gone to town on that shit, mainly because there's zero interest in the actual car now they don't do floaty suspension any more. 

See also: Mazda Skyactiv. Exsqueeze me? Baking powder? 

In 2018, PSA designated Domestic Management's staff car 'Connected Chic'.  Arguably it is indeed one of those things, but precisely what it is connected TO has never been clearly established.

Unless it's the road... 17" Michelin Pilots will do that...

1 hour ago, chaseracer said:

In 2018, PSA designated Domestic Management's staff car 'Connected Chic'.  Arguably it is indeed one of those things, but precisely what it is connected TO has never been clearly established.

Wasn't that their marketing bullshit for bluetooth phone connectivity (aka a $2 bluetooth module welded into the radio somewhere.)

I once had a 1981 Fiat 131 Supermirafiori Panorama one point six twin cam, which was quite a mouthful when calling round for insurance quotes..

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, uk_senator said:

Supermirafiori

Can't be many other one-word model names with 7 syllables. I always wanted one, but they dissolved too quickly.

• Like 2

Austin Allegro Deluxe

Deluxe should mean something extra special. But no, not on BL’s finest creation. It means base model on the Allegro and Marina (I think as well). 

Ford Cortina L Decor.

Decor should probably indicate some outstanding extra trim and bling. But not on this Ford. Here it means a bog standard L Cortina with, err, some overriders. Perhaps. 

7 minutes ago, GregZX said:

Deluxe should mean something extra special. But no, not on BL’s finest creation. It means base model on the Allegro and Marina (I think as well). 

Hmm, not sure about that, it must have had some (minor) significance. Later abbreviated to DL, shorter badges, perhaps.

On 29/07/2023 at 23:59, GregZX said:

Austin Allegro Deluxe

Yes, both Marina and Allegro had a "deluxe" as the bottom of the range.   I think it did mean something a few years earlier when Austins typically had a standard model and a deluxe.  But as equipment levels improved, the things that made a "deluxe" deluxe (like a heater!) became standard equipment across the range and so deluxe became the lowest trim level and designations like Super and HL started to appear.

Of course, British Leyland could have just added a heater etc. as standard equipment to the base trim level and then the deluxe could have received such new-fangled luxuries as a heated rear window, but perhaps the worry was that buyers would forever associate the standard model with the real poverty spec of a few years earlier.

Here's an Austin price list from 1966 (only 5 years before the launch of the Marina) showing standard and deluxe versions of most models.  Also an early appearance of Super Deluxe, on the A110 only.

33577607_AustinpricesOct19662.thumb.jpg.5622e82d2b0ff17df8759475a6336e9f.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

There was also the Marina Super, IIRC

Yes, the launch trim levels were Deluxe, Super Deluxe and TC, the latter being the "sporty" twin carb model.  Deluxe and Super Deluxe were both available with the 1.3 or 1.8 single carb engine.

By 1976 there were Special and HL models in the line-up as well.  Deluxe was still the bottom of the range and Super Deluxe had become simply Super.

Later still the range became base, L, HL.

• Like 1

On 29/07/2023 at 23:59, GregZX said:

Ford Cortina L Decor.
Decor should probably indicate some outstanding extra trim and bling. But not on this Ford. Here it means a bog standard L Cortina with, err, some overriders. Perhaps. 

The L Decor was discussed in this thread back in 2010.

On 7/31/2023 at 12:27 AM, adw1977 said:

Here's an Austin price list from 1966 (only 5 years before the launch of the Marina) showing standard and deluxe versions of most models.  Also an early appearance of Super Deluxe, on the A110 only.

33577607_AustinpricesOct19662.thumb.jpg.5622e82d2b0ff17df8759475a6336e9f.jpg

A potted history of BMC/BL/AR naming

March 1964, note both the Mini and the A40 were available in Basic, and Super De-luxe spec. A60 in Basic and De-Luxe

1702393457_mar64.thumb.jpg.82e6cc93bef2222f22918e6a9086ac16.jpg

December 1969. Mini 1000 Super De-Luxe. 1100/1300 in De-Luxe and Super de-Luxe, 1800 in De-Luxe and S.

1914403258_dec69.thumb.jpg.8cc78e3d0f9e5a3ce30976c3e0ea37e3.jpg

January 1976. Mini no variations. Allegro 2 in De-luxe, Super De-luxe, Special and HL. Marina as Allegro but with an additional GT. Maxi as Saloon and HL. Princess in Saloon, HL and HLS.

2144861778_jan76.thumb.jpg.7cfa9943dfdf0c377be930c5cea385a9.jpg

June 1980. Mini City and Super. Allegro 3 Basic, L, and HL. Marina Basic, l and HL. Maxi Basic, HL and HLS. Princess L, HL and HLS.

1852245828_june80.thumb.jpg.7e800f89ec98590beed92452da693d2c.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Interesting, I didn't realise Super Deluxe was used as early as 1964.  And "basic" really was a name to persuade the punter to shell out a bit more for a higher spec, although at least they didn't actually put BASIC badges on the cars!

10 hours ago, adw1977 said:

Interesting, I didn't realise Super Deluxe was used as early as 1964.  And "basic" really was a name to persuade the punter to shell out a bit more for a higher spec, although at least they didn't actually put BASIC badges on the cars!

Super was first used in 1961, for the Austin Mini Super and Morris Mini Minor Super.

s-l500.png

The Super was an 850 engined Mini that had all the trim and details of a Mini Cooper, including the contrast roof colour.. The model lasted until 1962.

For 1963 the naming changed to Super De-luxe and the car was more of a basic model with a few extra bits on it.

sdl1.thumb.jpg.259cc8fe44a9559aa6c4448fd60ad996.jpg

sdl2.thumb.jpg.9bfe08a77c8e07a79bc30781c041442c.jpg