A40 - New arrival!!

Matty

2 minutes ago, Scrubworks said:

chassis indents in front of the doors.

I did think of that but I fancied making them unseen. Still definatly not going to be getting any work as a joiner anytime soon 😁

• 1 month later...

And with crushing disappointment within 1 mile I realised I hated them. They are physically too small for the car and being fixed back recline me when I like to sit bolt upright. 

Typical of me really, shoot from the hip. Should do my homework tbh. The seats are absolutely mint. And really nice quality. @N Dentressangle didn't sell me a pup or owt, I'm just an impulsive halfwit. Which left me no choice other than to do this.

Edit. Forgot to add. What I got wrong was that Simon had them in a Spit. So they are sitting in a defined void created by the sills and the transmission tunnel. So they look right. In a big open space like the interior of my car they look like baby seats. My bad 👎 😅 

20230129_133209.thumb.jpg.00dce1f0e4d4b5bda784f54a2e6ead5f.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Yep, the horrid 90s velours are back. Hideous they may be but they're also supremely comfortable. So I'll do the summer in these, and then do my research and aquire and fit something more suitable this winter. Current front runners are MGF leathers, Midget 1500 black vinyls or even actual A40 front seats if I can find a pair in a suitable colour.

If anyone has suggestions, please shout up. In the meantime it's 1 step forward, 2 steps back. As per usual with this little bugger!

• Like 1

An intermittant missfire seems to have been cured by a new condensor but as always, when its running well, we dont talk about it 😁. But next week my Maniflow system arrives!! So stay tuned for more exciting (not really) updates.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, schonker said:

Had this a few years ago with mini 1275gt.Bought some great looking bucket seats fitted them but they were awful.Put th old ones back about an hour later

Soul destroying tho isn't it

7 minutes ago, Matty said:

Yep, the horrid 90s velours are back. Hideous they may be but they're also supremely comfortable. So I'll do the summer in these, and then do my research and aquire and fit something more suitable this winter. Current front runners are MGF leathers, Midget 1500 black vinyls or even actual A40 front seats if I can find a pair in a suitable colour.

If anyone has suggestions, please shout up. In the meantime it's 1 step forward, 2 steps back. As per usual with this little bugger!

If they’ll fit Rover 75 front seats are fairly cheap, not too wide, and pretty comfortable 

6 minutes ago, Rocket88 said:

If they’ll fit Rover 75 front seats are fairly cheap, not too wide, and pretty comfortable 

Good shout. I'm going for comfort while also looking as correct as humanly possible.

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

I really thought they would look fab, and have wondered regularly when I was going to see them fitted.

Bollocks.

Sure you've tried everything - they look quite low, and maybe would be better mounted higher and tilted so the backrest is more upright? I found them quite upright anyway, if I remember correctly.

If you do decide they're not right then you should be OK to re-sell and get your money back, anyway. I can send you the receipts / paperwork for them if that would be useful?

Sorry Matty 🤔

7 minutes ago, N Dentressangle said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

I really thought they would look fab, and have wondered regularly when I was going to see them fitted.

Bollocks.

Sure you've tried everything - they look quite low, and maybe would be better mounted higher and tilted so the backrest is more upright? I found them quite upright anyway, if I remember correctly.

If you do decide they're not right then you should be OK to re-sell and get your money back, anyway. I can send you the receipts / paperwork for them if that would be useful?

Sorry Matty 🤔

Not your fault at all. Most of the stuff I've done so far has been based on a picture in my head. Considering how much of that has gone right something was bound to go wrong! I've already licked my wounds, the seats are safe and ill just sell them on. All part of the crack pal, win  some lose some 🙂

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Matty said:

Good shout. I'm going for comfort while also looking as correct as humanly possible.

Leather ones available in a few colours, and they’re extremely comfortable , and don’t look too “modern “I got a complete leather interior including electronic front seats for £120

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Rocket88 said:

Leather ones available in a few colours, and they’re extremely comfortable , and don’t look too “modern “I got a complete leather interior including electronic front seats for £120

More ebay action then. Ta for the heads up pal

Ford Ka (the original one) seats are a popular fit in Morris Minors as they fit well and look reasonably sensible in an old car. Was there a sportier seat that went in the SportKa maybe?

Those buckets do look a bit lost in your A40 😂

1 hour ago, SiC said:

Ford Ka (the original one) seats are a popular fit in Morris Minors as they fit well and look reasonably sensible in an old car. Was there a sportier seat that went in the SportKa maybe?

Those buckets do look a bit lost in your A40 😂

The amount of grief I got of the missus was funny tbf. For about 2 weeks if I said anything she'd reply "well what do you know. You put children's seats in your car" 😄

Edit good shout though Si. If I'm trying to figure what would fit nicely, a similar proportioned car would be a good starting point 👍

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Matty said:

You can measure my seats if you like, but I'm in Spain for a fortnight.

You are aware that your airbag light will be on constantly 🤣

• Haha 2

MGF seats would look decent, I reckon:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/602933058413059/

334782000_5953795114655801_1578666220912

Not too dear, not too big and kind of period looking.

These out of an R53 Mini look OK too:

340944816_6285800234809270_6908002548084

If you'd rather stay more 'period', then MGB or Midget seats aren't too dear and there are plenty about. These are Midget:

333503188_6816385125043934_2350286019498

and these are MGB:

325709608_6211682078881890_7678323583575

9 minutes ago, N Dentressangle said:

MGF seats would look decent, I reckon:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/602933058413059/

334782000_5953795114655801_1578666220912

Not too dear, not too big and kind of period looking.

These out of an R53 Mini look OK too:

340944816_6285800234809270_6908002548084

If you'd rather stay more 'period', then MGB or Midget seats aren't too dear and there are plenty about. These are Midget:

333503188_6816385125043934_2350286019498

and these are MGB:

325709608_6211682078881890_7678323583575

The Midget  ones keep cropping up when I'm looking. MGF ones are smart tho 

23 minutes ago, Mally said:

You can measure my seats if you like, but I'm in Spain for a fortnight.

You are aware that your airbag light will be on constantly 🤣

Long as it doesn't trigger the EML

14 minutes ago, Matty said:

The Midget  ones keep cropping up when I'm looking. MGF ones are smart tho 

I've sat in Midget seats and thought they were comfy enough. They're wider than the Spitfire ones!

A40 and Midget share some genes anyway, so maybe appropriate? 😉

28 minutes ago, N Dentressangle said:

I've sat in Midget seats and thought they were comfy enough. They're wider than the Spitfire ones!

A40 and Midget share some genes anyway, so maybe appropriate? 😉

End of the day, it's family

Live breakdown (cos we seem to like that shite). I've gone for a run out and I'm on my way back from Burnley to Haslingden. On an NSL country road in top gear doing about 50. All of a sudden I get a metallic rattle/knock under load so peel off into a lay by.

Diving under the bonnet there's nothing immediately obvious. All the oily bits are still inside the engine, no holes anywhere. Still full of clean oil with none having escaped anywhere. I haven't any tools so can't even take the rocker cover off and make sure I've a full compliment of push rods and rocker arms. On restarting its showing 2.5 to 3 bar oil pressure at idle but clearly not running on 4. So sat here waiting for the RAC. 😔

1 hour ago, Matty said:

Live breakdown (cos we seem to like that shite). I've gone for a run out and I'm on my way back from Burnley to Haslingden. On an NSL country road in top gear doing about 50. All of a sudden I get a metallic rattle/knock under load so peel off into a lay by.

Diving under the bonnet there's nothing immediately obvious. All the oily bits are still inside the engine, no holes anywhere. Still full of clean oil with none having escaped anywhere. I haven't any tools so can't even take the rocker cover off and make sure I've a full compliment of push rods and rocker arms. On restarting its showing 2.5 to 3 bar oil pressure at idle but clearly not running on 4. So sat here waiting for the RAC. 😔

Arse..