Jump to content

AnnoyingPentium's Adventures - Great Timing


Recommended Posts

Posted

Since I last posted, there has been something resembling progress!

Some idiot (me) decided it'd be wise to replace the rear axle, having been and viewed a couple of Ayrshire-registered Fabias with the no-cost optional sill delete on all seen. Makes my Edinburgh registered one look mint in comparison. With the axle coming off it just made sense to have the rear brakes converted to discs like the fast* models have, oooh la la. Next up has to be upgrading the front discs from 239mm to 256mm as used on the 1.4 16v 100 and the 1.9 PD100 versions. Did debate 288mm discs but with the calipers on they wouldn't clear me 14" winter steels.

IMG_20251226_223756_263.jpg.33a7bc5c1507fe4dec7b600da53ab1f7.jpg

IMG_20251226_223757_795.jpg.749799f6e308f22f003548c5266d15ac.jpg

Mmmm, shiny. My mate did the honours of fitting the axle whilst I ran about in the wonderful* Daewoo Nexia as my "courtesy" car. I've never been so glad to get rid of a car in my life (Mk1 Focus estate notwithstanding). The Nexia wasn't bad, but it wasn't my kind of thing once the novelty of it wore off. He's fixed the exhaust for me as well, so no blow, no rattle, and it actually looks like it should be part of the car. What an improvement.

Since having the Fabia back, it's been running a lot nicer. Smoother anyway. As I alluded to in my last post, it does have a couple of issues, but I'm getting a point where I can sort them, I just need time. I'm feeling more positive about the car again (rollercoaster, much), but I know if I keep ignoring what it's needing, it'll bite me on the arse. I've got a list drawn up now, it's mainly smaller, niggly things. It's as MOT ready as it'll ever be, so with any luck it'll scrape a pass. If so, I can throw it on SORN and park it up with a cover (paint is fucked anyway) and get stuck in with the spannering, not having to worry about how I'll get to and from work, etc. At the moment there's a leak coming in from the drainage channel under the scuttle, which has a rubber seal bonding it to the bulkhead. I'll be breaking out the mastic and putting that right as soon as I can. Following up from that, the next step is to have the alloy wheels done, there's a local chap who is good and cheap, but not quick. That'll do me, seeing as they're not on the car now. Then it'll be worrying about getting an MOT. One crisis at a time, and that.

In the meantime I've just been using it as an car, as it should be...

PC260034.JPG.06b481467ee2277112e2ffa4cffbea5b.JPG

PC260033.JPG.2fb9a3358b0ffa40e9f66747ada1f8a9.JPG

Little trundle over the hills towards Mauchline on this fine Boxing Day was rather nice, even if the car is now absolutely filthy. Charging towards 110k miles now, not bad for a 1.2 3-pot petrol.

To recap - lots to do, not a lot of time to do it. Still enjoying the car most of the time. :)

  • AnnoyingPentium changed the title to AnnoyingPentium's Adventures - Plodding On.
Posted

Ours is also becoming an ‘an car’ too.  With a nice new battery earlier this year it just starts and goes as it should. The wife is actually using it more than expected too.  
I did a new cambelt earlier this year as there was no history of one, but the old one looked like it was pretty new and the pump looked really quite shiny so I didn’t disturb it.  It turned out a very easy job even with the twin belts so no problem to do the pump if it starts leaking in time. 
We took an opportunity to have the wifes Mazda alloys refurbed by my Nephew a few mnths back, and had a set I’d bought for our T4 based moho done at the same time.  They were so nice I gave in and sent the alloys I’d bought for the Fab in too, so they’re now fitted reusing 2 good Michelins that came with them and the half worn pair of Falkens off the boys old Fab.  Still got 2 nearly new Falkerns to go on when needed (one of which is on the 5th alloy in the spare). 
Still not found any roof rails, but not looking that hard as yet, it’s a desire more than a need. I have been watching a pair of AudiTT front seats in black cloth for it but the wifes not to keen on the idea. 

But we do have a leak to try and fix, NS rear door leaking quite badly into the rear footwell.  I’ve taped across the bottom of the glass for now.   
New clutch is kinda planned for Spring time.  I’ll order up a Sachs kit nearer the time and book my Nephew for a day to help, although I don’t forsee any reasons why I couldn’t manage solo, but he’s offered……(and having recently bought a house with my Niece; which I’ve spent quite a few days helping them move into and do various jobs in, He kinda owes me.  Also got big plans to rework the twin garage he’s now got into a double with a new roof too, so that will take up quite a bit of my time next year). 
Another desire is a towbar, but only if one turns up locally for peanuts. 

IMG_4902.jpeg

IMG_4938.jpeg

  • Like 3
Posted
14 minutes ago, Bmwdumptruck said:

But we do have a leak to try and fix, NS rear door leaking quite badly into the rear footwell.  I’ve taped across the bottom of the glass for now.   

This is a TADTS thing on these. It's very well documented, the seal on the metal door carrier (responsible for holding all the internal gubbins in) fails and the water that runs through the drainage channels in the door gets diverted into the car. Pretty well documented even back when these cars were new (2003 Briskoda link), shitload of mastic works to seal them up if need be. Mine had the doors done like that all round (by the dealer) in 2009 or so when the car was three years old. That's why if you ever see an early one for sale with the grey/cream cloth and it has staining on the door cards, it's likely pissing water in or has been, and a nightmare to remove the marks due to the type of fabric.

Alloys look good on yours, I had a set of those for 14" ones for a while after bending my old ones when I was down in Wales for Shite Fest '23. Now got another set of the six spokes as seen above, and the steel wheels for winter.

image.jpeg.bda7cd4aef02b6540561d4515e0a0ff4.jpeg

For the towbar, you can get new ones from PF Jones still. I bought mine brand new from them in 2022 and it was a fairly pain-free service. Bought one later for the Vectra I had, never did fit it as I'd sold the car, but again, arrived quickly and in one piece as described. They're all the same between the hatchback, estate, and saloon, so no worries about compatibility.

If you need a hand with owt, let me know. :)

Posted

I’ve used PFJones a few times, my van and the wifes Mazda towbars came from them.  Can actually get one a bit cheaper from an ebay supplier, but I’d prefer a £50 second hand one really.  Not sure I’d use it much so don’t want to spend too much on it. Got bars on all the other 4 wheelers so not short of options for a tow vehicle. 
Think I read that not only are hatches and estates are the same, but also mk1 and mk2 fabias too. 
Daft thing is I’m keener to find roof rails as I think it looks odd without them.  So if you see any  anywhere let me know.  

  • Like 2
  • 1 month later...
Posted

Oh well that'll do nicely.

Screenshot_20260210_121615_SamsungInternet.jpg.dba5cd9bb191178b10c9fceadc3a1e5f.jpg

I'll get around to the CV boot as soon as I can (palm it off to my mate) and the tyres will be alright as they're getting removed with the steels for my alloys once they're back from a refurb. Result.

20260201_013803.jpg.b2eeb901ffb87e62d2e00187ecf86b68.jpg

Posted

Fixed my leak(I think) the other day.  Popped the trim off, or at least around the bottom, no matter what we tried couldn’t get the top edge to release from the door.  We even found the wee screw behind the tweeter, but still no movement.  So instead we just wedged the panel away enough to reach up behind.  Drilled the rivets using an angle drill and eased the mounting panel out enough to get some ct1 around the edges.  Fixed the panel back with self drilling frame screws and sealed over their heads too.   New trim clips and put it back together.  Decided to check the other side to find it not far off the same, but this time I just picked the old seal out of it’s home, dried it all up and just sealed the join with more ct1.  More new trim clips and it’s all nice and dry now.  Bought another bigger bag of trim clips and plan to check the front doors at some point.  It is nice to get into a dry car now. 

  • Like 1
Posted
1 hour ago, Bmwdumptruck said:

Fixed my leak(I think) the other day.  Popped the trim off, or at least around the bottom, no matter what we tried couldn’t get the top edge to release from the door.  We even found the wee screw behind the tweeter, but still no movement.  So instead we just wedged the panel away enough to reach up behind.  Drilled the rivets using an angle drill and eased the mounting panel out enough to get some ct1 around the edges.  Fixed the panel back with self drilling frame screws and sealed over their heads too.   New trim clips and put it back together.  Decided to check the other side to find it not far off the same, but this time I just picked the old seal out of it’s home, dried it all up and just sealed the join with more ct1.  More new trim clips and it’s all nice and dry now.  Bought another bigger bag of trim clips and plan to check the front doors at some point.  It is nice to get into a dry car now. 

Great to hear you managed to get it sorted. My mate was up at that red estate in the U-Pull-It yard. Wasn't too much left, but he snagged me the heated seats so I can repair mine. :D

Posted
1 hour ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Great to hear you managed to get it sorted. My mate was up at that red estate in the U-Pull-It yard. Wasn't too much left, but he snagged me the heated seats so I can repair mine. :D

Wow that was quick.  

  • Agree 1
  • 5 months later...
Posted

Okay, this is where we're at:

I have bought lots of parts to fix/modify/repair/whatever this thing

Aaaaand now it's burning oil.

Was going along the motorway with my mate at the back in his car, and when I give it a boot full he starts flashing his lights and so forth. Bluish smoke coming out. FUCK.

Pulled in, and it's still smoking a touch on idle. Running fine but not good. Decided to let it cool, and started it later on - no issue.

Since then its only been smoking if you give it the beans, which still isn't good.

As a last ditch to buy me some time while I work out what to do, I've drained the oil to replace with thicker stuff, and removed an oil filter full of shiny metal bits. Tame mechanic suspects piston rings are failing. Thicker oil has reduced smoke so far, but for how long?

I'm at a bit of a crossroads here now though, I could repair it at over a grand, or replace the engine at well over a grand too. Alternatively, buy a tidy 1.4 16v or something and just swap over all the stuff I've fitted to mine. I'm leaning towards the last option, obviously.

It's on 120k now which isn't bad going for a small engine really. The body isn't really worth reshelling since it's got rust creeping in and its been nudged twice. Of course, its a lot to think about, especially due to sentimental value - but it's still just a lump of metal, right?

20260717_150847.jpg.72537cd6ed910533b5330eb440797d45.jpg

  • AnnoyingPentium changed the title to AnnoyingPentium's Adventures - Taken Up Smoking
Posted
21 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Okay, this is where we're at:

I have bought lots of parts to fix/modify/repair/whatever this thing

Aaaaand now it's burning oil.

Was going along the motorway with my mate at the back in his car, and when I give it a boot full he starts flashing his lights and so forth. Bluish smoke coming out. FUCK.

Pulled in, and it's still smoking a touch on idle. Running fine but not good. Decided to let it cool, and started it later on - no issue.

Since then its only been smoking if you give it the beans, which still isn't good.

As a last ditch to buy me some time while I work out what to do, I've drained the oil to replace with thicker stuff, and removed an oil filter full of shiny metal bits. Tame mechanic suspects piston rings are failing. Thicker oil has reduced smoke so far, but for how long?

I'm at a bit of a crossroads here now though, I could repair it at over a grand, or replace the engine at well over a grand too. Alternatively, buy a tidy 1.4 16v or something and just swap over all the stuff I've fitted to mine. I'm leaning towards the last option, obviously.

It's on 120k now which isn't bad going for a small engine really. The body isn't really worth reshelling since it's got rust creeping in and its been nudged twice. Of course, its a lot to think about, especially due to sentimental value - but it's still just a lump of metal, right?

20260717_150847.jpg.72537cd6ed910533b5330eb440797d45.jpg

Thats a shame mate, agree with your mechanic, with glitter in the filter and blue smoke it does sound like the piston rings are failing.

I'd see how you go with the thicker oil, hopefully it will keep plodding along while you consider your options.

I might be wrong here, but is this your first car? If so I can understand sentimentality, it would be hard to give it up.

  • Like 2
Posted

Does sound like it's time to buy a replacement one and use the good bits from yours plus your new shiny to make one really good one then cashback on the rest as scrap. 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
Posted
1 minute ago, Popsicle said:

I might be wrong here, but is this your first car? If so I can understand sentimentality, it would be hard to give it up.

It is so. Had it 5½ years, been all over the country with it in that time. I've done about 70k miles all in. Not bad for £1395 in 2021.

I've got a trip to Somerset planned at the end of the month, essentially calling it this car's last hurrah.

With both you and Sam though, it'd be a weekend's work to get everything changed over, but not an issue.

As I said, a tidy 1.4 16v or even 1.9 TDI would be the logical move. Everything I've done to mine would transfer over with relative ease.

Posted

I've created an equation to solve your puzzle. 

Pull the decent parts off + sell the mortal remains to someone who likes driving in repeated oval shapes/it's your first car/this is autoshite=

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

DO NOT SELL. FIKS ITUP. 

Problem solved. 

giphy(1).gif.3e62f577ddec2716311c5267e2ed6d73.gif

As an aside, my first car, a '77 mk1 Golf was a rough example - rusty pretty much everywhere, oil burner and generally tired. Would I have it back and fix it up? 

HELL YES. 

 

  • Like 1
Posted
7 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

It is so. Had it 5½ years, been all over the country with it in that time. I've done about 70k miles all in. Not bad for £1395 in 2021.

I've got a trip to Somerset planned at the end of the month, essentially calling it this car's last hurrah.

With both you and Sam though, it'd be a weekend's work to get everything changed over, but not an issue.

As I said, a tidy 1.4 16v or even 1.9 TDI would be the logical move. Everything I've done to mine would transfer over with relative ease.

It has served you well mate, 70k miles in a first car is awesome, my first car was fucked within 10k miles of me owning it, it was a 1979 Triumph Dolomite 1.5 HL.

Must be worth keeping an eye out for a replacement, maybe a VRS or are they all fucked now?

 

  • Like 1
Posted
17 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

It is so. Had it 5½ years, been all over the country with it in that time. I've done about 70k miles all in. Not bad for £1395 in 2021.

I've got a trip to Somerset planned at the end of the month, essentially calling it this car's last hurrah.

With both you and Sam though, it'd be a weekend's work to get everything changed over, but not an issue.

As I said, a tidy 1.4 16v or even 1.9 TDI would be the logical move. Everything I've done to mine would transfer over with relative ease.

You could even "have fun" doing it. 

Weekends 1 and 2 - basic maintenance, minor fettling, drive it as is

Weekend 3 - swap the big heavy bits over 

Weekends 4 to 97 - fiddle with the easier smaller bits and get it nice

Posted
3 minutes ago, Popsicle said:

Must be worth keeping an eye out for a replacement, maybe a VRS or are they all fucked now?

I'd like a VRS, there's a mint one just down the road but I think the guy who owns it would probably rather sell his Mrs over that car...

Standard 1.9 hatch or estate is miles cheaper insurance too. :)

Posted
6 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

I'd like a VRS, there's a mint one just down the road but I think the guy who owns it would probably rather sell his Mrs over that car...

Standard 1.9 hatch or estate is miles cheaper insurance too. :)

Yea being middle aged I sometimes forget about insurance costs being daft.

There is a young chap round the corner from me that has a silver VRS, I think he'd have similar thoughts about selling! It's nice to see him working on it though, someone in the house also has a black Polo Dune, both cars are immaculately clean.

  • Like 1
Posted

I didn't have the timing chain going on my 2026 bingo, but here we are. Sounds like an absolute bag of shit, just conked out and wouldn't restart.

X444RKB.jpg.5c4645fe6e8291fbbdd749f536ee9a1f.jpg

I'm not long home. It's currently abandoned in a nice bit of Alloway whilst I try to find my towing eye to haul it home using the tow pole of excellence (TM). It's still taxed, MOT'd etc. so fine where it is but I'm aiming to have it back home tomorrow. 

Once it's back on my driveway, I'll weigh up my options, but with everything it's needing done still, I'm aiming more towards starting fresh with another one. 5 1/2 years, it's served me well.

It's been fun over the years. 120,300 on it at the time of its demise.

  • AnnoyingPentium changed the title to AnnoyingPentium's Adventures - Great Timing
Posted

That probably explains the glittery bits in the oil then.

The blue smoke could be unconnected. If its only doing it on acceleration or after light throttle it might be valve stem seals, in which case a thicker oil would probably slow up usage, if not the smoking.

How easy is a chain to to on one of these? If it's cheap and DIYable it might buy you a bit more time.

Or you could just get something completely different that you've never had before. Youll never look back!

  • Like 1
Posted
17 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

How easy is a chain to to on one of these? If it's cheap and DIYable it might buy you a bit more time.

The chain is allegedly sealed for life, as in they've quite literally sealed the cover with decent strength mastic. You need to drop the sump as well. All in all, not a particularly nice job for me... on a gravel driveway... in the new-found rain. I can't say I'd want to do it.

I'm more concerned in case the valves and pistons have, erm, kissed - for lack of a better term. Chain kit is about £80 but as per above, it's a bit of an arse to do. There's rust on the arches, and the bodywork has seen so much it requires weekly therapy. 🤣

Like you say though, something completely different would likely be nice. Got plenty options anyway, but the priority is getting the car home first. 😐

  • Like 3
Posted

Dibs on yer cup holder please😜😜, if you break it.

  • Like 1
Posted
3 minutes ago, Bmwdumptruck said:

Dibs on yer cup holder please😜😜, if you break it.

Depends what I buy next! :P

It does need a wee repair done to it, as one side is broken (doesn't spring open) but it'll hold a drink fine if you lift the dodgy side...

  • Haha 1
Posted

What engine do you have? Is it the Škoda 1.4 based on the Felicia/Favorit 1.3? I'm guessing so as I don't think any of the VW lumps would have a chain.

I'd not heard of chains being sealed for life on the 1.3 but then I've never had to do one. I think the valves will bo OK, and I've had the sump off mine but it was in a nice flat dry garage. I agree with you, I wouldn't fancy it on a gravel drive. 

  • Like 1
Posted
1 hour ago, Yoss said:

What engine do you have? Is it the Škoda 1.4 based on the Felicia/Favorit 1.3? I'm guessing so as I don't think any of the VW lumps would have a chain.

I'd not heard of chains being sealed for life on the 1.3 but then I've never had to do one. I think the valves will bo OK, and I've had the sump off mine but it was in a nice flat dry garage. I agree with you, I wouldn't fancy it on a gravel drive. 

I wish it were the 1.4 MPI, its the newer 1.2 12v HTP I've got unfortunately. 

Posted

Delivered home on a flatbed, by an Iveco... again. This feels like the aftermath of Shitefest 2023.

20260725_123336.jpg.df8977ab5d4415bbb39d38c1f89ba094.jpg

It's going to sit here and think about what it has done. I'm trying to arrange a viewing for something in the meantime.

Posted

Glad you got it back quickly.

  • Agree 1
Posted
16 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

Glad you got it back quickly.

Agreed. Rang breakdown today, gave them sob story about leg, etc. They sent out a local firm, turned out to be my old neighbour! :D

  • Like 4
Posted
5 hours ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

I wish it were the 1.4 MPI, its the newer 1.2 12v HTP I've got unfortunately. 

Ah, that means nothing to me unfortunately. As you were. 

  • Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...