What cheap hot hatch? Tsport, Ignis, Panda etc

tom13

What sub 2grand hot hatch should I consider getting? My mind was set of a 100hp but I think the one I want is sold. I love the T sport Yaris but prices have risen as have the Ignis. Thought about a 1.3 or 1.4 K11 Micra.

Want it to be sporty and have a bit of go. Would like rear seats so bare that in mind but would have a full track car as well if it came up. Think at least 100BHP per ton  roughly. I only say 2 grand as that's the limit. I am looking at stuff sub £1000 as well. Seen a EP3 locally which would be a dream for 2G but I imagine it will be a knacker. 

What am I missing. Anyone have anything for sale?

I had a Panda 100 from new, kept it for less than two years then chopped it in for a low mileage MR2 to use in the high hills of mid Wales and Durham. 
Couldn’t get my head around the Panda, despite having a long history of running Alfas back in the day, and maybe living permanently in Brighton at the time meant that the roads were far too busy , even out of town, to really enjoy the ‘hot hatchness’ of it. Rock hard suspension, didn’t feel particularly nippy, couldn’t get it to do more than 40 mpg no matter how carefully I drove it. It was the far too firm suspension that finished it off for me, far far too uncomfortable. A low mileage Peugeot 106 XS, P reg, was a much better all round car, including taught but supple suspension, very easy to work on, and plenty of real world performance: who needs a 106 GTi? Even a base model AX was more fun than the Panda. I clearly missed the point of it and didn’t bond. Currently running a 2007 Yaris 1.8: great fun, very subtle, more than fast enough on a B-road blast, comfortable, quick steering, really superb handling, and above all its a well made, reliable Toyota. So good, it’s my second example. The only fun car I’d replace it with would be a Twingo GT.

I like this Ignis I won the the roffle but not selling too soon.

They are a good balance of power and handling but not fast by any actual definition. There are some good videos of people overtaking theoretically faster stuff on track.

They exist in a weird place where you can either get a rough or high miles one for £5-600 or a minter for 1500-2500 and not much in between.

Parts are not as easy to find at something like a Honda or Clio is the only drawback I've found so far.

15 minutes ago, Dave_Q said:

I like this Ignis I won the the roffle but not selling too soon.

They are a good balance of power and handling but not fast by any actual definition. There are some good videos of people overtaking theoretically faster stuff on track.

They exist in a weird place where you can either get a rough or high miles one for £5-600 or a minter for 1500-2500 and not much in between.

Parts are not as easy to find at something like a Honda or Clio is the only drawback I've found so far.

I tried to buy it outright but the raffle was too far along. Would have loved it. 

31 minutes ago, SiC said:

Clio II 1.6 16v will be as fast as the cars you've mentioned but doesn't have the badge prestige. 

There is also the Clio III 2.0. Not the 197 but they did a lukewarm Nissan powered version that is a lot cheaper. 

The Clio is nice but not quite doing it for me. I don't need it to be super fast I like the small little revvy engines. Would love a copper s. It was well up on my list but sub 2g ones are too rough and I'm scared of the gearboxes tax and oilleaks ha. 

I'd have a Twingo Renault Sport 133

Panda 100hp s are hard work to live with . They’re cheaply made as the cost 10 -11 grand new and that engine was  really shoe horned in there . They are great fun though and you feel like you’re doing 120 when you’re doing 50. They’re not really fast but they Rev so freely they feel like they are .

40 minutes ago, Bamboocarman said:

I had a Panda 100 from new, kept it for less than two years then chopped it in for a low mileage MR2 to use in the high hills of mid Wales and Durham. 
Couldn’t get my head around the Panda, despite having a long history of running Alfas back in the day, and maybe living permanently in Brighton at the time meant that the roads were far too busy , even out of town, to really enjoy the ‘hot hatchness’ of it. Rock hard suspension, didn’t feel particularly nippy, couldn’t get it to do more than 40 mpg no matter how carefully I drove it. It was the far too firm suspension that finished it off for me, far far too uncomfortable. A low mileage Peugeot 106 XS, P reg, was a much better all round car, including taught but supple suspension, very easy to work on, and plenty of real world performance: who needs a 106 GTi? Even a base model AX was more fun than the Panda. I clearly missed the point of it and didn’t bond. Currently running a 2007 Yaris 1.8: great fun, very subtle, more than fast enough on a B-road blast, comfortable, quick steering, really superb handling, and above all its a well made, reliable Toyota. So good, it’s my second example. The only fun car I’d replace it with would be a Twingo GT.

The twingo is a great shout. Will look at those. 106s seem crazy money. 

What you say about the 100hp us exactly what I have heard from people. I don't mind the mpg too much and like the firm suspension providing the damping is well controlled. Have heard a lot of people saying that they loved the suspension but I fully get where you are coming from. 

9 minutes ago, tom13 said:

The Clio is nice but not quite doing it for me. I don't need it to be super fast I like the small little revvy engines. Would love a copper s. It was well up on my list but sub 2g ones are too rough and I'm scared of the gearboxes tax and oilleaks ha. 

Cooper S all had the 6 speed getrag box. None had the 5 speed Midlands. 

I always see plenty decent ones sub 2k. 

I was fortunate to find the 35k mile 106 when they were sub £1k, and enjoyed it very much. I really don’t think that the GTi versions have any real advantage on public roads. Nice if people like bling tho. As with some Fords it’s a mugs game paying zillions of quid for one. Much better buying a more recent motor for a fraction of the price, however it’s difficult to find anything with a good balance of sufficient character, performance, simplicity etc. A Ford Sportka, or even a base  mk1 Ka is fun, plenty of good handling available, cheap but also plenty of rust. The Twingo GT has the feel of the 106 about it, and are reasonably priced. The 100 was a decent fun car, but the suspension really was an issue for me. My direct experience of around 10k miles in one is a fundamental memory of the car ‘bouncing’ along the road most of the time. Driving it on my favourite North Pennine and similar roads was akin to torture, which spoilt the experience. Nothing like any of the others cars I’ve driven, apart from Issigonis Minis but they had other fun characteristics to compensate for this.  Panda was too new to mess around with alternative springing so was glad to do a deal on the MR2: highly recommended for anyone who only needs 2 seats, superb cars.

If you don’t rubbish ride then what about the only hot hatch I’ve owned recently: the C2 VTS. Or more accurately, and if you like caramel seats, a C2 code. 

I reckon on anything other than billiard smooth blasts between bypass roundabouts, or on-the-ragged-edge-every-last-rev-melting-brake-discs kind of hooning, the Mk1 Focus I’ve got now is a more entertaining drive. 

3 minutes ago, Fabergé Greggs said:

I reckon on anything other than billiard smooth blasts between bypass roundabouts, or on-the-ragged-edge-every-last-rev-melting-brake-discs kind of hooning, the Mk1 Focus I’ve got now is a more entertaining drive. 

I was surprised at how cushy and compliant the ride was on the stock suspension in my Clio 172. You could go over quite rough roads without being thrown all over the place. 

Makes sense really, given it's French and their roads are worse than ours. 

My tuppence would by a Swift Sport. I had the 32 (facelift) which I doubt you'll get near for 2k but the previous version is reported to be more raw and all the better for it. Cheap to run, cheap bits and parts, great fun all round.  Bad points. Tiny boot, I think the Z31 was only five speed, have been popular with young 'uns.   

The1.5 Swift is a canny little steer too although clearly on a different level.

TBH I doubt you could go wrong with any of those listed and for the budget I'd look at whatever comes up from that list as condition is more important.

1 minute ago, Dabooka said:

My tuppence would by a Swift Sport. I had the 32 (facelift) which I doubt you'll get near for 2k but the previous version is reported to be more raw and all the better for it. Cheap to run, cheap bits and parts, great fun all round.  Bad points. Tiny boot, I think the Z31 was only five speed, have been popular with young 'uns.   

The1.5 Swift is a canny little steer too although clearly on a different level.

TBH I doubt you could go wrong with any of those listed and for the budget I'd look at whatever comes up from that list as condition is more important.

Yes, condition is number one. Also, beware of too low a mileage: ‘dry’ components ready to crumble once used in anger 💨💨💨 Gan canny . . .

1 hour ago, Fabergé Greggs said:

If you don’t rubbish ride then what about the only hot hatch I’ve owned recently: the C2 VTS. Or more accurately, and if you like caramel seats, a C2 code. 

Entered the raffle for that one. I did want it.