hello

messerschmitt owner

Hi just joined after seeing a mention on another forum - and with a lack of practical classics forum thought I'd come and join.I've had various classics over the years but am currently running a smart roadster, Vauxhall Astra convertible, Toyota Hiace Devon, Mercedes 416cdi motorhome as well as my Messerschmitt, Bond, Berkeley, Mochet Camionette, NSU Prinz special and three Honda Z600s.Have owned land Rover Dormobile, CA Dormobiles, almost every bubble/microcar you could mention, as well as numerous small Fiats and various 1950s Vauxhalls.Campbell

The Prinz is a single seater used in a 1966 Doctor Who series with the cybermen in it.The Mochet is the only camionette in the UK - swapped a T60 for it with a man in germany. My current berk is a B95 racer.The Hiace is a 1981 - very rusty but it has given us a year or so of fun.The Zs are going to be for sale soon!

The Prinz is a single seater used in a 1966 Doctor Who series with the cybermen in it.The Zs are going to be for sale soon!

That Prinz sounds very intriguing!Re the Zs: Oh shoot, me and my big mouth... I would love one though, please inform me if and when, if I have sold my car by then and not bought anything else yet... driving a Z from the UK to Amsterdam should be fun!

Hi! Thought I reckognised the user name. What do you think of the Smart Roadster?

The smart roadster is a pile of crap built by Frenchmen (badly) but it is a fantastic car - drives well, nippy, easily tunable, returns 50+mpg and runs 115bhp at the moment - for a 700cc engine (albeit a chocolate one) it does 124mph two up with luggage on the autobahn.Mine is up at 74000 miles, gets serviced by me, leaks horribly at the moment, eats brakes (a set of pads every 20,000 miles), but it stands up well in a crash (smart roadster 3, fallow deer, Vx Astra and VW Golf nil) and is economical, parts are quite cheap and it is easy to work on - takes two hours to remove the panels and is all-bolt together on the mechanicals too.Would I recommend one - in a word, yes! But with the caveat that you need to be a bit mechanically minded to work on it - for it is fragile, but dynamically great! It will surprise you in its practicalness and its fun factor.

My favourite in my collection is by far and away the messerschmitt - bought in 1987 for £200 and it will never be for sale. Of the microcars I have owned, the one I am most likely to buy another of is a Goggomobil Coupe - they are superb cars, well built and well engineered.The one least likely to own is anything powered by an Excelsior talisman twin - horrible engines!!I've owned lots of other stuff from sh*te to classy, but tired, classics. My favourite classic car that I have owned was a 59 PA Cresta in silver and blue two tone, the worst a Citroen XM 2.0i that destroyed itself a week after I bought it.