A bit of shite - Saab 95 1.9 TiD estate - thermostat thoughts?

horriblemercedes

I've found that the brakes are nowhere near as bad as the reputation. But the brakes on this have been set up well. I can believe that most are worse than this one.

Also, the pedal operates front and rear brakes on this late one, unlike earlier ones where it operates only the rear.

• Like 2

Good progress on the Austin today!

Removed the radiator to get the leaking drain tap out. Freed it up and reinstalled. Also gave the whole thing a flush.

The only thing is that the bottom hose basically disintegrated as it came off and I didn't have anything to replace it. Unfortunately by this point, the shops were closed so I still need to get a hose for it. No big deal.

Also found that pretty much every electrical connection was loose, as well as bits of corrosion, so I've cleaned them up and tightened it. I should also replace the HT leads. All this will quite probably fix the way it seems to bog down under load.

All in all, it was a very pleasant afternoon working in the sun with my neighbour, even if the car isn't quite ready to take out. I just need to get a small piece of hose!

PXL_20240803_133150695.jpg.569f748d6b316c60cc1e103b0a383544.jpg 

PXL_20240803_133158943.jpg

PXL_20240803_135142079.jpg

8 minutes ago, horriblemercedes said:

The only thing is that the bottom hose basically disintegrated as it came off

Better now than when you're not looking!

• Agree 4

• horriblemercedes changed the title to A bit of shite - Austin Seven Ruby - coolant conundrum

I need to get some coolant to fill this when the hose arrives but I'm not sure exactly what I need. 

Would this be suitable? Research indicates so, but I'm not sure. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203849291127?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=YmhtqaI-RZ2&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=wPwtqsq1QhC&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

34 minutes ago, horriblemercedes said:

I need to get some coolant to fill this when the hose arrives but I'm not sure exactly what I need. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203849291127?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=YmhtqaI-RZ2&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=wPwtqsq1QhC&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Tbh I just throw that Prestones universal in everything but the fiesta (OAT). That includes the Austin and it seems happy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, horriblemercedes said:

Any normal ethylene glycol antifreeze will be fine.  As will OAT if you make sure to thoroughly flush the system first (mixing types can cause issues with the additives reacting and turning into a gel).  

So if I were in your shoes I'd just go with whatever is most readily available locally where you are, and just make sure to flush the system to get any remains of whatever whoever last filled it put in there out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Loving this little austin. I like how all the dimensions and simplicity mean its fun and satisfying to sort things (mostly!)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Collected this Saab today. Feels like I've done really well. £870 on an Ebay auction. 

Condition is good, drives excellently. Being really picky, it has a couple of bubbles in the paint, but otherwise I can't fault it. 169k miles. I'm really happy with it so far

PXL_20240810_170548633.jpg

PXL_20240810_170557151.jpg

• horriblemercedes changed the title to A bit of shite - Saab 95 1.9 TiD estate

I need to rebush the gear linkage and have ordered the kit.

Looks doable. Has anyone actually done it? If not, I'll try to dive in next week. Seems that all manual 95s after 2004 need it eventually. That's about all that's wrong with this car

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I thought I'd put a bit of an update. No pictures sadly!

Haven't driven the Austin for a couple of weeks, but it's all ready for a drive. Just life gets in the way.

I've been away in the Saab for a few days with the seats down and loaded up to the roof - a great motorway cruiser and economical too.

I've rebushed the gear linkage and that has made it much more pleasant to drive.

Thinking of doing something about the bubbly paint on the arches and the little bit on the tailgate (might as well nip it in the bud since it's not too bad yet).

Other than that, my car life has been pretty simple. I'm really enjoying having this pair of cars.

• Like 3

Well, looks like that little bit of work paid off. The little Austin is running much better since I cleaned up the contacts and tightened the connectors 

PXL_20240831_093849090.jpg

I'm looking for a thermostat for the Saab - what do we think of Napa? Or the other options below?

This is about £35 delivered with postage:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/235611645652?fits=Car+Make%3AVauxhall|Cars+Type%3A1.9+CDTi&_nkw=thermostat+vauxhall+1.9+cdti&itmmeta=01J718YM4B2WQHPCPF73WJV5CB&hash=item36db8c66d4:g:QbgAAOSwtntmb-v0&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAA4HoV3kP08IDx%2BKZ9MfhVJKltuxAxOSiUnErezjhlO7XhsQdhgilf1CFaOtuxv2thUXPISFnEMAbAQS5xb2dxAAdH2cNkIiu%2Ff7pseerScBN7DM99D2RVZfRrNep19uHlmd2OWplgVu8qpex7W7XEzFX1H%2BSIpPr%2BkJvsVf0GDP8X8pnGjH6wzc0hLauxCJMPRfaq%2FModppciZ%2BWhsH00uFTmVE3gEwAcUjDqVym8eaEfBmBVakIdlPD%2BEike9r5nZu0p7VwqQc7Qa3Nzlbu9%2BQz0ExIxrviAAKwzqShP4ayc|tkp%3ABk9SR6TC-qi4ZA

I may be able to get Mahle from Autodoc for £60 or so, but I would prefer to buy from Parts in Motion if possible due to previous good experience.

Parts in Motion also lists the following brands in various prices ~£60 or so:

Apec

Febi Bilstein

Gates

NRF

Or, I could see if Vauxhall dealers still stock original ones.

• horriblemercedes changed the title to A bit of shite - Saab 95 1.9 TiD estate - thermostat thoughts?
1 hour ago, horriblemercedes said:

I'm looking for a thermostat for the Saab - what do we think of Napa? Or the other options below?

This is about £35 delivered with postage:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/235611645652?fits=Car+Make%3AVauxhall|Cars+Type%3A1.9+CDTi&_nkw=thermostat+vauxhall+1.9+cdti&itmmeta=01J718YM4B2WQHPCPF73WJV5CB&hash=item36db8c66d4:g:QbgAAOSwtntmb-v0&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAA4HoV3kP08IDx%2BKZ9MfhVJKltuxAxOSiUnErezjhlO7XhsQdhgilf1CFaOtuxv2thUXPISFnEMAbAQS5xb2dxAAdH2cNkIiu%2Ff7pseerScBN7DM99D2RVZfRrNep19uHlmd2OWplgVu8qpex7W7XEzFX1H%2BSIpPr%2BkJvsVf0GDP8X8pnGjH6wzc0hLauxCJMPRfaq%2FModppciZ%2BWhsH00uFTmVE3gEwAcUjDqVym8eaEfBmBVakIdlPD%2BEike9r5nZu0p7VwqQc7Qa3Nzlbu9%2BQz0ExIxrviAAKwzqShP4ayc|tkp%3ABk9SR6TC-qi4ZA

I may be able to get Mahle from Autodoc for £60 or so, but I would prefer to buy from Parts in Motion if possible due to previous good experience.

Parts in Motion also lists the following brands in various prices ~£60 or so:

Apec

Febi Bilstein

Gates

NRF

Or, I could see if Vauxhall dealers still stock original ones.

Check with Bill Jones at www.saabits.com Good quality, good price and excellent service, my first stop for Saab parts. If you are a member of UKSaabs there is a 10% discount available.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Napa and apec stats I've had fail within a few thousand miles of fitting. So I avoid them now for stats. 

Personally it would be Mahle, Gates or Febi for me. Mahle I've had a few that have been genuine stats with the OE name ground off and would be my first choice. Often also branded Behr and I think are the same company.

On 27/08/2024 at 18:58, horriblemercedes said:

Thinking of doing something about the bubbly paint on the arches and the little bit on the tailgate (might as well nip it in the bud since it's not too bad yet).

Front wings are bolt on so as one of mine was dented when I bought the car I waited until a perfect one in the right colour came up on ebay.  

14 hours ago, DSdriver said:

Front wings are bolt on so as one of mine was dented when I bought the car I waited until a perfect one in the right colour came up on ebay.  

Unfortunately my bubbly paint is on the rear arches! The fronts are so far spotless

14 hours ago, SiC said:

Napa and apec stats I've had fail within a few thousand miles of fitting. So I avoid them now for stats. 

Personally it would be Mahle, Gates or Febi for me. Mahle I've had a few that have been genuine stats with the OE name ground off and would be my first choice. Often also branded Behr and I think are the same company.

Yes, normally I go for Mahle and that seems to be OE supplier in this case. I've also had Mahle/Behr thermostats that are as you describe

It just seems they're not that readily available for this car. I'll give my local Vauxhall dealership a call, since it's the exact same part. It may well be that they stock them.

Edit:

I think that this seems to be pretty cheap, and the OE part. I'll go for this.

https://www.alfashop.co.uk/products/4111014