JMotor's project car thread.

JMotor

4 minutes ago, JMotor said:

Altezza update! 

I received an envelope today. 

@LightBulbFun I ken your a number plate/DVLA perv.

DSC_0001.thumb.JPG.4cd76d072d5841b425b95022e039aded.JPG

See how they've given me a random Norwich (?) area plate. 

So a V55/5, was a piece of piss to fill in. Only took a little longer because I was a dingus and forgot to put in one piece of paperwork. I also wasn't required to have it inspected. 

We're a set of plates and tell the insurance away from being on the road! 

one quick speed run of the last couple pages of this thread later

glad to hear to you managed to get it through an MOT and DVLA registered :) 

AT is a Hull location code for what thats worth :) 

BTW was the Altezza ever sold in the UK in any official capacity? I notice surprisingly it does have a DVLA Model code, which your normally get for a vehicle if it was sold in period, but I think the Altezza is a JDM thing?

Ahhh. 

Did not know that. So stand corrected on the area. 

3 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

BTW was the Altezza ever sold in the UK in any official capacity? I notice surprisingly it does have a DVLA Model code, which your normally get for a vehicle if it was sold in period, but I think the Altezza is a JDM thing?

That's the thing. The XE chassis was sold here. But only as the Lexus IS200/300.

But the Altezza RS200 was JDM only. Unless its a new thing they are doing now? But I just filled the form in and noticed straight away it said Altezza on the V5. Wonder what the other ones that were imported into the UK say? 

My Opel Astra which is an another Import doesn't have anything on the model code. It's also weird too. As the engine size is down as 1600. Which I thought was a no no? 

4 minutes ago, JMotor said:

Ahhh. 

Did not know that. So stand corrected on the area. 

That's the thing. The XE chassis was sold here. But only as the Lexus IS200/300.

But the Altezza RS200 was JDM only. Unless its a new thing they are doing now? But I just filled the form in and noticed straight away it said Altezza on the V5. Wonder what the other ones that were imported into the UK say? 

My Opel Astra which is an another Import doesn't have anything on the model code. It's also weird too. As the engine size is down as 1600. Which I thought was a no no? 

Yeah the UK registration location codes for Pre 2001 registration marks, are not the same for as they are for Post 2001 marks :)  but you will have to tell me if Hull is a relevant code for where you live or not since I dont know where you live LOL

(sometimes the DVLA will issue a suitable location related mark, but other times it can be random)

checking how many left for the Altezza, shows that a good few where imported in period, and obviously would of back then needed to have gone through proper type approval and with Toyota very much existing in the UK at the time, I guess they did manage to get themselves a proper model code setup for themselves on Ye Olde DVLA computer :) 

I dont know my Astra's that well so you will have to clarify as to whats wrong with having a 1600 cc engine size?

as for its Model being blank, there are Opel Astra Model codes, but none without any trim level attatched to them 

its like @Kiltox's Fiat Panda 30, which is just registered as a Fiat, because there is no "Panda 30" code or just "Panda" code, all the codes decode to "Panda 45" or Panda this that or something else :) 

so thats probably why it got dropped in your case, if your Opel Astra does match any of the decoded names here https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/browse/opel/opel_astra

then you can probably get the DVLA to sort it out for you :) 

8 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

Yeah the UK registration location codes for Pre 2001 registration marks, are not the same for as they are for Post 2001 marks :)  but you will have to tell me if Hull is a relevant code for where you live or not since I dont know where you live LOL

It's actually miles away lol. I'm in the south west of Scotland. 

Only said about the engine size as it said you couldn't have it as 1600, had to be 1598 or somethin like dat. No matter. 

Also not worried about the Model either. Because they'll likely not be one for an Astra 160iE. Having solid metal back in it will be a bigger priority 😂

22 minutes ago, JMotor said:

It's actually miles away lol. I'm in the south west of Scotland. 

Only said about the engine size as it said you couldn't have it as 1600, had to be 1598 or somethin like dat. No matter. 

Also not worried about the Model either. Because they'll likely not be one for an Astra 160iE. Having solid metal back in it will be a bigger priority 😂

ahh nah! you can put any number down for engine size! heres an Electric vehicle with a 10L "Engine" LOL

screencapture-vehicleenquiry-service-gov-uk-ViewVehicle-2019-11-07-00_52_12.png

obviously they want you to be specific about it if you can, but you get the odd person who is lazy and just chucks a whole number in there!

AC where prolific for doing that with their Model 70's! always registered as 500 cc

Screenshot 2022-11-18 at 14.44.12.png

when it should read 493cc, as Invacar correctly did!

Screenshot 2022-09-25 at 11.12.38.png

anyways back to JDM Yo! before I get shouted at again...

Couple of things happened this week. 

The Altezza got some number plates fitted. 

Then I took it for it's first run.

DSC_0002.thumb.JPG.5e4f98afa93edefd36fae4a07ae15198.JPG

Nervous as all hell, which was for nothing. As it goes very well. Comfortable to be in and with a big plus of the engine and drivetrain being in rude health. No odd noises from the suspension either. 

Clutch release bearing is howling though. So that'll be sorted, I have found these have a dual mass flywheel and there is no ill effects from fitting a solid (and lighter) flywheel. So I'll change the lot while I'm in there.

Overall I'm chuffed to bits with it.