The grumpy thread

outlaw118

2 minutes ago, Barry Cade said:

Mine only ever seem to do that at 3am. Last time I ripped the fucker off the ceiling, getting a shower of plaster and a jolt of 240v. I didn't know they were mains too.  Improved my mood no end.

Yep, and the bastards aren't alone, if you have flats above or below.

the smoke alarms at both my parents house and grandparents house are connected to the intruder alarm

never had to change a battery or had a momen't bother from them

that's the way i like them

and yes they do work

8 minutes ago, maxxo said:

the smoke alarms at both my parents house and grandparents house are connected to the intruder alarm

Why? Not saying it's bad

48 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

Three? They must be worried. Just sayin...

That's just the regs in Scotland for flats these days, they all have to have at least 3 alarms all interconnected, usually 2 smoke alarms (1 mains powered with battery backup, 1 battery) and 1 heat alarm in the kitchen.

Been like that for about 5 years.

Mine are annoying for a different reason, 1 keeps losing sync, which causes the main one to freak out it hasn't got a response from 1 on the self test it does every 90 seconds or so and starts lighting up half the hallway like a disco brothel with a red flashing light.

18 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

Why? Not saying it's bad

parents house, no idea system is from 1993 but it works really well, makes a different sound etc and easy to shut them up as well

grandparents house i did it intentionally as they kept removing the batteries from them and i wanted to prevent it

i guess it's a hardwired system and it's a fair chunk more reliable than battery operated ones

Well todays been a bloody expensive day. £1350 to fix the cheap and cheerful Qashqai that we picked up last summer! Thats more than double what we paid for the fucking heap, then add the £2.5k+ that has been lavished on the turd over the past 14 months and we're over £4.5k into a 10 plate Qashqai. Oh joy.....

Personally I wanted to scrap the thing or offer it up on here cheap, but Mrs P and eldest daughter had other ideas.

To date its had:

Cambelt, tensioner, waterpump, AC regas (1st time), aircon compressor, AC regas (2nd time), coolant radiator, battery, tracking, four tyres, both front droplinks (1st time), wishbones, ball joints (1st time), NS & OS driveshaft, NSF caliper, front pads, front discs, wiper blades, rear pads, rear discs, crankshaft pulley, gearbox oil change, OSF caliper, wheel bearing, AC regas (3rd time) with some seals replaced, gearbox, clutch, flywheel, droplinks (2nd time), ball joints (2nd time), AC regas again (4th time) and 3 services.

Now I fully understand the implications of running an old car and some of the above is routine maintenance, but it really needs putting out of its (and my wallets) misery. We don't even need the car, everybody else has something else to be driving, there just seems to be some strange allure to keeping the thing going which nobody can explain to me and I really don't understand.

I also had my first dealings with Xenon headlights today, a headlight out on the newly purchased Elgrand, £32 for a D2R bulb and £66 for a second hand ballast that didn't work and having to remove the front bumper to find that out.

47 minutes ago, Pieman said:

Take it to Buxton and banger race it and tell the family it was pinched.

I'm sure it would breakdown in some new and extravagant way enroute and Buxtons only an hour away.

Flu; just fuck off, it's been 16 bloody days already. I don't need to be coughing my guts up.

Because I suffer from Asthma, when I get ill, the first thing to go are my Airways which fill up with gunk causing me to wheeze like a bagpipes.

I usually cough so much that I barely know I exist or have any idea of the real world for literally a few seconds.

The actual influenza has passed but it's left me with the after effects as in my airwaves are battered and the coughing still persists. I have taken a covid test last week when I was deep in flu and tested negative thankfully. 

Tried to go back to work despite feeling fairly Ok the day before, I literally struggled at work. So taking a couple of days holiday off to give me a good few more days to recover. The last time I had this was when I actually had covid in 2020 but that really battered me, it was 10 times worse than what I have now, however this one is pretty bad. I've had influenza symptoms since 2020 and they were usually just lazy ones that didn't much.