National Trust spec 7 series: half arsed review and introduction

TheXUDfiles

Had two and loved them both.

Also your ashtray still closes, so better than both of mine. Seems to be a common fault.
Had mine for about a year before I realised that they had optioned lights under exterior door handles. It was the little things...

Keep thinking about getting another as was an awesome car. Sure you will love it.

27 minutes ago, gadgetgricey said:

Had two and loved them both.

Also your ashtray still closes, so better than both of mine. Seems to be a common fault.
Had mine for about a year before I realised that they had optioned lights under exterior door handles. It was the little things...

Keep thinking about getting another as was an awesome car. Sure you will love it.

Mine has the lights under the handles as well - I didn't know until I got it home :D

10 minutes ago, alcyonecorporation said:

An overlooked gem. 

Was Tomorrow Never Dies a factor in this purchase, or did Gran Turismo 2 play a bigger role? 

Gran Turismo 2 without a doubt. Felt so fancy rolling into North City and spaffing 101,000 credits on the 740i. 

The e38 content was the only reason I bothered watching Tomorrow Never Dies, though. Well, that and the bit where he electrocutes German Basil Fawlty with a mobile phone.

BMW 740i.jpg

8 minutes ago, w00dy said:

Very nice. I do like an E38 and that one looks very handsome on the smaller wheels and in those colour.

And it's funny how a lot of people seem to feel that way. 

I agree that the sports are a bit too new money looking and gauche - "proper" BMWs are best enjoyed understated. 

1 minute ago, alcyonecorporation said:

As I've probably told you (multiple times coming back from the Ace), they filmed that mad TND car chase in Brent Cross Shopping Centre. 
I like how the deflated tyres change from the Sport rims to yours (do not recreate). 

Funny you should say that, I was talking about that with a friend about that last night. 

And you have no sense of adventure. The first thing a do with a new car is launch it off a multi storey. If it survives, I keep it.

2 minutes ago, TheXUDfiles said:

Funny you should say that, I was talking about that with a friend about that last night. 

And you have no sense of adventure. The first thing a do with a new car is launch it off a multi storey. If it survives, I keep it.

At least we know what we're doing when coronavirus regulations permit. 

Would love to see it up my way again, too. 

That does look rather special, that interior too...

I often look at these admiringly but they've always struck me as a bit of a 'brass ringpiece' job in terms of liability, as such  I've never had the guts to get into one

Well played, and at least if shit comes to shovel you've always got the Polo to fall back on

The engine shouldn't give much hassle - it's probably the most reliable in the E38 range. 
I doubt it's *that* slow; they were still good for 192bhp. 

I know Bosch Mobile Tradition still make the odd sensor for these - but you might be into 'buy another dead one' for parts if things really head south. 

The V8s have all kind of horrendous timing chain issues and the V12 is, as far as my understanding goes, two sixes on a common crankcase with everything duplicated.

It's beautiful, lovely, stunning. Something I can't say about a modern BMW.

Somehow I love the "understated versions" of the E38 more, while the E39 looks better with the sport treatment.

23 hours ago, TheXUDfiles said:

Gran Turismo 2 without a doubt. Felt so fancy rolling into North City and spaffing 101,000 credits on the 740i. 

The e38 content was the only reason I bothered watching Tomorrow Never Dies, though. Well, that and the bit where he electrocutes German Basil Fawlty with a mobile phone.

BMW 740i.jpg

Just check out the colour choices*.

1 hour ago, The Mighty Quinn said:

Annoyingly,  I threw away one of those nav screen units about 2 months ago but to be fair they are useless now. It came from an E39 and it just wouldn't take an even remotely recent CD - the Nav disc unit is in the boot. Took it out and fitted an aftermarket thing.

Most people seem to go for those chinese Android headunits now

I remember having ordered one of those for a friend with an E39. Looked factory (huge plus, i hate those Halfrauds Special headunits), and came with all the little mod cons in the box like a backup camera and a Carplay USB port. It was cheap (something like 200 quid) and the owner was happy 

19 hours ago, The Mighty Quinn said:

That looks like Biarritz blue. The phones in these were Nokias, most commonly a square snug fitting one with 'BMW' printed on, but there was a  Nokia 3110 as well.  I think these were fitted to 728i's.

Annoyingly,  I threw away one of those nav screen units about 2 months ago but to be fair they are useless now. It came from an E39 and it just wouldn't take an even remotely recent CD - the Nav disc unit is in the boot. Took it out and fitted an aftermarket thing.

E38's are renowned for fuel tank rust around the upper/lower section seams. If it leaks or stinks of fuel with more than half a tank, do the correct thing and only have 20 quid in at a time.

It is indeed Biarritz. Would have preferred Orient, but you can't have everything you want! Handy to know it's a Nokia phone. 

I don't think it's the screen itself at fault, from the digging I've done. Which will probably make fixing it more of a pain, but never mind! 

Yes, I am aware of the fuel tank leaks :( This one seems alright - but I'm fully expecting it to go at some stage in my ownership.

These really are fantastic cars, keep in mind that these basically replaced the W140 S-Class as best car in the world when they came out in '94 (those or the new A8). I had a 728iA myself, bought for an unbelievable 500 quid 7 years ago. Couldn't give it away when I replaced it with my manual 528i (no regrets there), that's definitely not the case anymore, they do increase in value. Still want one, the 728i is sufficient for sure, wouldn't mind a 740i though. Both are fantastic cars and really make you feel special, I'm sure yours is no difference!

22 hours ago, The Mighty Quinn said:

That looks like Biarritz blue. The phones in these were Nokias, most commonly a square snug fitting one with 'BMW' printed on, but there was a  Nokia 3110 as well.  I think these were fitted to 728i's.

E38's are renowned for fuel tank rust around the upper/lower section seams. If it leaks or stinks of fuel with more than half a tank, do the correct thing and only have 20 quid in at a time.

Everyone knows that an Ericsson is the correct phone pair for an E38! ;)

1 hour ago, The Mighty Quinn said:

Do they? :-)

Screenshot 2020-12-24 at 18.41.44.png

Screenshot 2020-12-24 at 18.41.01.png

Screenshot 2020-12-24 at 18.41.26.png

Just joking :) it was the phone that James Bond used to remote control his 750i in Tomorrow Never Dies

TND_jb988.jpg

Edit: my first mobile, shortly after that film came out was an Ericsson so clearly it made a great impression! I've mostly had Ericsson, Sony Ericsson and Sony since then so that was some successful product placement! I've still never had a BMW though, as much as I still love the 36, 38 and 39 among others 

On 12/24/2020 at 8:48 PM, bezzabsa said:

I would love to scratch my 7 series itch one day.... nice 728 lowered but not much, nice staggered Alpina alloys and in Shark Grey (i think its called) with tobacco leather interior

You'll probably end up paying more for the alloys than you will the car! For some reason those Alpina things are worth more pound per pound than gold.