The Castle Gresley Rover 820

Motown

6 hours ago, bezzabsa said:

You're a braver man than me ...especially attempting to open the sunroof!!!

Hope things go well!!!!

Cheers! After i updated the thread i opened the sunroof manually with the key. Part of the frame is rotten which i believe is blocking the mechanism so when the weather improves i will replace it with a spare and do the headliner while am at it 👍

On 1/27/2021 at 9:27 AM, Dick Longbridge said:

R.e the running - tell me you're not feeding it on 20 year old fuel still? 

I might live in Sheffield but i dont drink from the Don.  No the old fuel has been drained but i havent put much new fuel in it since. 

• 2 weeks later...

***Update***

Oh the ups and downs of restoring and owning Rovers

So i just about finished the car this week and had it booked in for MOT I did all the necessary last minute checks and i am happy to report everything was working as it should be. So you can imagine my excitement as i jumped into the car started it up. After letting the engine warm up for five minutes i pulled off my drive and no sooner did it hit the road under its own steam for the first time in twenty odd years the brakes completely failed....

1428154210_Update2.thumb.jpg.d0a62f80b8f3c8fa1223bdf3bff37dee.jpg

I tried desperately to nurse the car back onto my drive and slightly misjudged the distance bumping the car into the railings. Despite this the car is unscathed however the railing is now looking rather bent and sorry for itself.

793917869_update1.thumb.jpg.4b950be1a1cf14b3dd23ea69b6a89c91.jpg

Jacking the car up to investigate i found everything is as it should be with no fluid loss or burst pipes which naturally came as abit of a shock. So i turned my attention to the servo and master cylinder but they to seemed to be fine as well. Confused by this point i removed the lines from the rear callipers and it suddenly became obvious no fluid was getting through.

I could feel the rear hose pulsating when my wife applied the brake pedal so i have a blockage somewhere so i then drained and flushed the system AGAIN but nothing changed and the brake pedal just went to the floor.

Obviously i am going to replace the rear the brake hoses as i suspect this is were the blockage is but i realise in doing so the brake pipes will no doubt disintegrate. Its looking like il replace the entire brake system pipes hoses and associated bits and pieces.

Naturally this is gonna be quite costly and labour intensive and when the wife found out she went ballistic. Fearing divorce and not getting any dinner i went out and bought her a new car while picking up some new brake pipes and hoses.

146132495_2770291046618771_2357801299678931029_n.thumb.jpg.d3428f19d1f44aad1922305471a6fd5e.jpg

Yes another Rover but with only 35k on the clock she's pretty chuffed with it 👍😀

2 hours ago, Motown said:

Yes i was touching cloth for a second. Complete brake system rebuild not that expensive but a real pain in the arse to do. especially this time of year!

What do you mean? 

Everyone loves rolling around on cold wet ground under a car in near or sub zero temperatures having  mix of road shit and disintegrating car fall in their mouth and eyes and work it's way down collars, sleeves and up trousers! 

Frankly the progress made in the  working conditions  is amazing.

Great thread this.. 

I have very fond memories of my Dads old Rover 820 Fastback I maintain it was one of the the best looking and built cars Rover ever made IMO especially the fastback.. 

She was Gold - N616WOH dead now unfortunately a company car which had racked up 170k in 8 years, absolutely no rust. 

2.0 with the Jatco auto with cloth interior air-con and sunroof! 

luxury! 

My Dad traded a 1987 Jaguar Xj Sovereign I didn't understand why until we went for a drive in the rover although it was nowhere near as quick as the Jag it certainly had a character which no other car has had since.. 

I'd love one.. 

If it's pedal flying to the floor with no discernible effect, I'd not be suspecting a blockage or collapsed hose.

That can only be a leak, air introduced in a line somewhere or a MS failing to push fluid surely?

I say this as I'm currently hunting a fluid leak on my 820 Vitesse!

9 hours ago, mercedade said:

If it's pedal flying to the floor with no discernible effect, I'd not be suspecting a blockage or collapsed hose.

That can only be a leak, air introduced in a line somewhere or a MS failing to push fluid surely?

I say this as I'm currently hunting a fluid leak on my 820 Vitesse!

il change the servo and master cylinder for good measure. My Vitesse is currently in the body shop its been there 3 weeks but iam assured its in safe hands I cant wait to drive it again 

On 2/11/2021 at 10:25 PM, Split_Pin said:

Grand work on this chap. I admire your commitment to it rather than chucking in the towel when the brakes failed (which is the sort of thing I would probably do).

It will be great when its MOTd and I imagine its pretty 'famous ' now!

Thank you! I could never give up on a Rover despite all the negative press and opinions of most i quite like them they are good cars if maintained correctly. Anyways i am in to deep to give up now i haven't told the wife how much ive spent on it i never will 🤣

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello there fellow shiters! 

Firstly my apologies i realise its been awhile since i posted... In my defence ive been distracted by three new purchases a Sterling Saloon an SD1 Vanden Plas and the 820 fastback i posted about in another thread.  Only now have i had chance to sit down and update the thread but its definitely been worth the wait in my opinion.

I managed to sort the braking issues which were caused by blocked rear flexis as the brakes failed i thought it was best not to piss around and fitted new rear flexis and had new brakes pipes put in. The throttle was also sticking and upon inspection i noticed that although the cables were good the mechanism on the body was completely rusted and ceased so i replaced it with a spare i had laying around.

157768920_187267742834520_3850651363542050544_n.thumb.jpg.39b715dfc81e8a044e25a6d343876cad.jpg

157914249_486914028980551_7175392804328362815_n.thumb.jpg.1c3db9d28906d71b3cc143b548a8caf4.jpg

They said it was just an old Rover not worth saving..... They said it would never see the road again... They said i was an idiot.... They were wrong... The Castle Gresley 820 is finished and just needs a new exhaust and an MOT certificate i proudly annouce in my AR jacket

158059588_836072513639332_896042416754741109_n.thumb.jpg.8fc16bbe3f1ce51d6fe1d88206ce2bb1.jpg

The front middle and rear sections of the exhaust need replacing but i fully intend to do this once i have the cash. The exhaust sections are about £50 each so it might have to wait until payday ive also decided if it proves itself to be a reliable car once in daily use (I have no doubts it will) then i will give the car a fresh coat of paint too.

It drives incredibly good to say it hasn't shifted in 20 odd years. The engine is very quiet and smooth once the cars in motion and as you can see from the video it can shift if it needs to. I am fairly certain despite initial doubts the engine simply needs a damn good run.

158373891_239132961238394_8307302172645216534_n.thumb.jpg.2a6f04e4393e04bba724a61400724620.jpg

Interior doesn't look to bad all things considered and is comfortable and dry. There's still a few bits and pieces to finish off but nothing worth worrying about.

157478881_477862989904638_7464693493789855797_n.thumb.jpg.7cb77daa35206262d95887a7fa6417ac.jpg

Long live Rover and all who sail in them! 

1 hour ago, Ian_Fearn said:

@Motown are you going to do a post on the other new arrivals? 800s aside, I reckon everyone on here loves an SD1!

Ive already done a post about the 820 fastback i will no doubt do a post on the SD1 and Sterling Saloon when i start work on it. 

Pending MOT am i still ok to bring Gresley to you for rear arch welding when restrictions are lifted?

2 hours ago, adw1977 said:

Excellent work.  The interior looks very inviting!

Aye the interior is remarkably good to say it was exposed to the elements for years. I dismantled everything from the interior of the car and cleaned it over a period of three days before reassembling. 

3 hours ago, outlaw118 said:

Just read this from the beginning, top work Squire, always liked these, the Coupe remains once of the best looking cars of EVAR (colour and spec dependent obviously).

Would love a Nightfire Vitesse. Proper.

Thank you very much! Sadly non of my 827s are for sale. I've just serviced the nightfire vitesse ready for the restrictions on travel being lifted when i can take it out and Tony Pond it around Derbyshire.