Jump to content

The Castle Gresley Rover 820


Recommended Posts

***UPDATE*** 

I woke up this morning and it appeared fairly dry out so decided to crack on with doing somthing about the corrosion around the windscreen aperture/seating

I quickly sanded the area back and using this stuff applied a very thick coat of it on the corrosion.

19C13F30-C0A4-4103-AC99-7FCDC5537357.thumb.jpeg.13db6e8deb50d9326b4de03991fe0acc.jpeg
 

13332798-5062-48D7-B7C6-2A8E1E7E6E10.thumb.jpeg.a7895dd5116e09d63a7eaee3ae8944bf.jpeg

 

Within minutes I could already see a noticeable difference. 
 

75261467-64DE-4AE6-A5A1-C117743D982B.thumb.jpeg.02399f4a8e0ecd9d8bfedeb6d7a43f87.jpeg
 

I applied another thick coat and thought I’d address the holes while waiting for the gel to do its thing. I plugged both holes with quick steel but it wasn’t as easy to use as I’d anticipated. Mainly due to the fact that even with the headliner and wiring removed I couldn’t get proper access to the roof cavity.

 

 

D22E68FF-B2B6-4A57-9EE9-5ABE2CB8C5AE.thumb.jpeg.5c3b7a049de6f88ddd54324a9ea446b3.jpeg

80B2E358-08B0-48A7-B5BC-67E36C599C54.thumb.jpeg.5f836578948bdda99e5ed01f3f8c4e9a.jpeg

 

Now that the two holes are filled with quick steel I will probs sand it back and  reenforce it with more once it’s set. I then turned my attention back to the corrosion around the windscreen but by this time it had started raining 🤬
 

More to come soon hopefully 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites

Outstanding save and also amazingly quick turnaround.  Good luck with the weather for getting  the screen repairs done/ready.

 

Alas a " I know what I have and what it's worth" type. It is only worth what somone is willing to pay  and as there is a scrappy but running and recently on the road blue one for 699 on evilbay, his price for and incomplete  rough one is beyond optimistic. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Low Horatio gearbox said:

Outstanding save and also amazingly quick turnaround.  Good luck with the weather for getting  the screen repairs done/ready.

 

Alas a " I know what I have and what it's worth" type. It is only worth what somone is willing to pay  and as there is a scrappy but running and recently on the road blue one for 699 on evilbay, his price for and incomplete  rough one is beyond optimistic. 

Thank you for your kind words! Once the windscreen is in its a case of new brakes belts and the interior bits refitting then it’s off for MOT

I rarely sell any of the Rovers I rescue and restore because I grow to fond of them. Up until recently I had five different Rovers on the drive all taxed/insured I literally drove a different one every day of the week 😂 I have downsized since then though but I won’t part with my 827s 

I have no plans to sell the car once it’s finished however it’s good to see prices are on increase (For Mk1s atleast) one of mine sold for just short of £1500. People that do specifically want this type of car are willing to pay the asking price (within reason) if anyone is expecting £2k+ they are gonna be disappointed.

However I would like to see them go up in value sooner rather than later simply  because maybe then much needed parts, fixtures and fittings will be remanufactured which would save/preserve what’s left of the marque 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites

Look how well it’s cleaned up!!! Windscreen aperture is now free from corrosion and fairly clean and smooth despite taking a hammering at some stage. Currently awaiting new windscreen which is getting fitted on the 4th. Then it’s new brakes new belts and interior refitting before it’s off for an MOT. 🤞😁
 

3A52E9CD-6447-43DE-81AE-903EDDBAFE8C.thumb.jpeg.6dfca9164f1f4b752856b46268e5c00c.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, greengartside said:

@Motownlooking great that now, those seats look like a very comfortable place to sit.

What are your plans for CHOONAGE in the 820? Modern system or genuine Rover cassette player?

Genuine Rover cassette player or at the very least something period as with most my Rovers 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The Mighty Quinn said:

Probably too late now but unless you cut the rot out and weld new steel in, that screen surround is just going to rot out again. Requiring the removal on a bonded in screen and they rarely come out intact. Depends how long you're keeping the car and how long it's supposed to last.

The screen hasn't been fitted yet but i totally agree long term it needs welding but unfortunately i cannot weld nor do i own a welder. All focus is currently on getting the car running (which has been accomplished) and getting the car secure and sealed from the elements. At a later date at the cost of another windscreen il have the aperture welded but first the car needs to proof itself by taking me from A to B for a few months with little to no problems.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I admire your approach.  Getting the car through an MOT and then a settling and fettling period is commendable.

have you thought about cutting that bit of grot out with a dremel and aralditing a small patch of metal in.  Then finishing off with a bit of filler.  

I used this approach on a wing above a headlamp once.  It was only a 2p hole.  The repair has lasted 30+ years.

whilst it still isn’t a welded repair, it might mean the screen won’t have to come out again.

once I had shaped the metal with a bit of a step to fit behind the edges of the hole, I spread some araldite on polythene, Laid on the patch, more araldite on top, then pushed it into place and worked the polythene to seal the edges of the patch with araldite.

it was all non structural and it sets rock hard and is impervious to moisture.  You also avoid all the heat of the weld.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/28/2020 at 6:22 PM, Motown said:

The screen hasn't been fitted yet but i totally agree long term it needs welding but unfortunately i cannot weld nor do i own a welder. All focus is currently on getting the car running (which has been accomplished) and getting the car secure and sealed from the elements. At a later date at the cost of another windscreen il have the aperture welded but first the car needs to proof itself by taking me from A to B for a few months with little to no problems.  

I’m in Derby if you need any little bits of welding doing. Would feel honoured to have had a part in getting this back on the road after seeing it for so many years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Ian_Fearn said:

I’m in Derby if you need any little bits of welding doing. Would feel honoured to have had a part in getting this back on the road after seeing it for so many years.

Could you get here before the 4th January and how much would you charge to fix the two small holes in the windscreen seating/aperture?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/29/2020 at 12:44 AM, Isaac Hunt said:

I admire your approach.  Getting the car through an MOT and then a settling and fettling period is commendable.

have you thought about cutting that bit of grot out with a dremel and aralditing a small patch of metal in.  Then finishing off with a bit of filler.  

I used this approach on a wing above a headlamp once.  It was only a 2p hole.  The repair has lasted 30+ years.

whilst it still isn’t a welded repair, it might mean the screen won’t have to come out again.

once I had shaped the metal with a bit of a step to fit behind the edges of the hole, I spread some araldite on polythene, Laid on the patch, more araldite on top, then pushed it into place and worked the polythene to seal the edges of the patch with araldite.

it was all non structural and it sets rock hard and is impervious to moisture.  You also avoid all the heat of the weld.

Thank you kindly! To be honest that's not much different from what i did only you probably did a much better job than me. 😆

I found it difficult as it was hard to gain access when preparing and plugging the holes from either the front or the back. I have large hands and oven chip like fingers plus a roof support bracket right behind each hole didn't help things. Even with the wiring and headlining removed it was tight and i am dead against child labour so i simply did the best i could.

Thankfully the welds/brackets are free from corrosion i think my bodge repair will hold but as i wouldn't usually bodge anything who knows. The car was absolutely knackered when it arrived so sooner or later i knew i would have to cut a corner.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Motown said:

Could you get here before the 4th January and how much would you charge to fix the two small holes in the windscreen seating/aperture?

Ideally I’d need the car in my garage but where are you? I think this could realistically take me a day to do it properly. Then you’d want to paint it.
My fee would be F.O.C.

 

Edit.... looks like Derby is going into Tier 4 on Thursday 😢

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Ian_Fearn said:

Ideally I’d need the car in my garage but where are you? I think this could realistically take me a day to do it properly. Then you’d want to paint it.
My fee would be F.O.C.

 

Edit.... looks like Derby is going into Tier 4 on Thursday 😢

I am between Doncaster and Sheffield. As a keyworker requiring your services iam sure you would be allowed to travel and once here distancing and all corvid precautions will be made 😉👍

Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you got any pictures of the affected area since you cleaned off the corrosion? Looking at some of the earlier pictures it looks pretty grotty and I’m just a bit concerned the job could escalate and then it’d have to be rushed. Only having 1 day of limited daylight in the winter outside isn’t the best time to be doing welding!

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ian_Fearn said:

Have you got any pictures of the affected area since you cleaned off the corrosion? Looking at some of the earlier pictures it looks pretty grotty and I’m just a bit concerned the job could escalate and then it’d have to be rushed. Only having 1 day of limited daylight in the winter outside isn’t the best time to be doing welding!

I haven’t but I will say although iam not a welder it looks worse than what it actually is. The holes are currently plugged with quick steel and although it’s a bodge  job seems to have done the trick for the time being.

The holes were/are  no bigger than a thumb nail so I doubt it would take a whole day but again am not a welder.

You could very easily weld in a small piece it doesn’t matter how it looks as it won’t be seen behind the windscreen and trim. Aslong as it doesn’t obstruct the windscreen being fitted I would be more than happy.  I was tempted to fill it myself with a piece of metal from an old maccano set 😆

Every little helps and I would really appreciate anything you can do to help.

Thanks again and all the best 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Motown said:

I haven’t but I will say although iam not a welder it looks worse than what it actually is. The holes are currently plugged with quick steel and although it’s a bodge  job seems to have done the trick for the time being.

The holes were/are  no bigger than a thumb nail so I doubt it would take a whole day but again am not a welder.

You could very easily weld in a small piece it doesn’t matter how it looks as it won’t be seen behind the windscreen and trim. Aslong as it doesn’t obstruct the windscreen being fitted I would be more than happy.  I was tempted to fill it myself with a piece of metal from an old maccano set 😆

Every little helps and I would really appreciate anything you can do to help.

Thanks again and all the best 👍

Sure then, no problem. What day? Probably best PM me.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Huge thanks to @Ian_Fearn who came out to weld the holes in the windscreen aperture today.

Despite the bitterly cold weather and the metalwork being stupidly thin it didn't phase him one bit.  Ian has done an amazing job and given the car a bigger chance of survival. 

Thank you again kind sir your a truly a legend amongst us!

133775889_1792756797568380_8517152174027686533_n.thumb.jpg.0948954440f04d52c9c7a727d39e9fa6.jpg

 

133821422_690987851779633_786546708459457730_n.thumb.jpg.c673723e529331d79271baf4bff51ff2.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Motown that’s no bother mate. Was a pleasure to meet you and am pleased I got the chance to throw my limited skills into the ring to get this back on the road.

Regarding the more serious rot in the passenger side roof line, I was thinking...... If you can get this back on the road with an MOT, once my wife has been vaccinated and Covid is a bit calmer, why don’t you bring it down to Derby for a long day? I’ll show you how I would go about the repair, give you some welding practice and we can work together to get that area sorted. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bunglebus said:

Glad this has been repaired properly, just filling it makes it an out of sight, out of mind problem that will bite you on the bum later

It’s definitely going to need more work around the windscreen in future but Motown has a plan to get it back on the road, assess its mechanical condition and then launch a more in depth body refurb. I would say THAT is going above and beyond!

I do wonder if that drivers side sill will fail the MOT. I could see a tester wanting that to have a little tickle before issuing a ticket but I look forward to the results. I just think this is such a fantastic project, I really couldn’t see anyone other than Motown having the enthusiasm and drive to do it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Ian_Fearn said:

It’s definitely going to need more work around the windscreen in future but Motown has a plan to get it back on the road, assess its mechanical condition and then launch a more in depth body refurb. I would say THAT is going above and beyond!

I do wonder if that drivers side sill will fail the MOT. I could see a tester wanting that to have a little tickle before issuing a ticket but I look forward to the results. I just think this is such a fantastic project, I really couldn’t see anyone other than Motown having the enthusiasm and drive to do it.

Kudos definitely deserved here to both of you. I always wanted this thing to survive and am glad there are people on here with the determination, skills and mild lunacy! 

@Motown I don't know how heavily you are into social media, but I reckon a carefully planned crowdfund setup and maybe facebook page specifically for the car with regular updates/photos to show contributors would garner solid £££ to add to your resto costs.

Just a thought.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ian_Fearn said:

@Motown that’s no bother mate. Was a pleasure to meet you and am pleased I got the chance to throw my limited skills into the ring to get this back on the road.

Regarding the more serious rot in the passenger side roof line, I was thinking...... If you can get this back on the road with an MOT, once my wife has been vaccinated and Covid is a bit calmer, why don’t you bring it down to Derby for a long day? I’ll show you how I would go about the repair, give you some welding practice and we can work together to get that area sorted. 

Sounds like a great idea i would definitely be up for that once it has an MOT and things have quietened down. I wouldn't mind a drive to Derby actually it will get me away from the wife and kids for a day  👍

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...