cortina barnfind

fiatdaft

hi folks

had a shout about a mark 4 cortina 1.6 l, 63k miles,been sat in a farmers barn for the past 13 years so not hoping for the most immaculate example,but the banger racers are hovering.

now a wee bit rusty on my cortina knowledge I know to look at front wings,valance,boot floor,

prob wont be able to hear it run or drive it to find out about the cam or void bushes etc

but anything or where else I should be having a look?

being a farmer and having the banger racers hovering, any idea of value ?

it might not be a keeper for me but would rather see it saved if its worth it.

excuse the shonky phone pics!

its an l not a gl,63k miles,covered in oil and dust,

passenger front wing not good,arches and door bottoms a bit flakey,interior looks fairly good,1 owner from new stiil has old style plates on it.

wanted £350 for it,but we will see what happens.

Posted Image

Posted Image

and spotted this beige lovely on the way home

Posted Image

To be honest I don't think its worth £350, if there is some visible rust. With Cortinas visible rust is usually the tip of the iceberg!But then a racer is unlikely to pay £350 for it either.Its worth a look though - check all around the sills as well, and also around the screens - rust bubbles there can mean big trouble. Rear arches and rear door shut area also worth checking.

To stop the racers getting their hands on it I'd suggest offering about £225.Don't know a great deal about Cortina spares these days but I'd imagine you could strip it and sell the rolling chassis afterwards for more than that?

I can give you a run down on everything that can be wrong with a Cortina if you'd like, if its solid then £350 is not silly money, if its rusty its about £150 tops, even if you strip it there is only so much that sells for more than pennies on them.and the banger boys will pay £350 all day long for one, though the ones I know of are more likley to steal it when his back is turned :roll: if you do want a complete lowdown just let me know :wink:

Get it bought! Mk4 Cortinas are ace. Only about 200 left on the road or on sorn now apparently.Wings are obtainable, mk3 stuff is violently pricey but its not too difficult to pick up mk4 panels and they are much much cheaper.I see it has the Ziebart sticker on the back.. if its been ziebarted from new chances are it will be solid, its bloody good stuff.

200 Mark 4's would be a fair estimate. They were already piling up in scrapyards 20+ years ago and My God they used rot like a bastard. Add 20 years of banger racing and 200 running taxed examples seems about right.That one is Roman Bronze, one of the best colours for a IV. Checj inner wings at the back, scuttle at each screen corner (V was worse), chassis legs and the boot floor on each side. The boot floor spot welds to the chassis leg and Ford didn't seal the end off so they rust out.£350 is taking the piss. Let the bangers have it, it's not a particularly nice on. It's worth £100.

200 Mark 4's would be a fair estimate. They were already piling up in scrapyards 20+ years ago and My God they used rot like a bastard. Add 20 years of banger racing and 200 running taxed examples seems about right.That one is Roman Bronze, one of the best colours for a IV. Checj inner wings at the back, scuttle at each screen corner (V was worse), chassis legs and the boot floor on each side. The boot floor spot welds to the chassis leg and Ford didn't seal the end off so they rust out.£350 is taking the piss. Let the bangers have it, it's not a particularly nice on. It's worth £100.

I'd have offered £50 as it's bound to want pretty much the entire bottom six inches of the car replacing.

200 Mark 4's would be a fair estimate. They were already piling up in scrapyards 20+ years ago and My God they used rot like a bastard. Add 20 years of banger racing and 200 running taxed examples seems about right.

They did rot with a vengence, seemed worse than the Mk3 or the Mk5. Thinking about it, I didn't really see any Mk4s on the road after about 1990 or so, and that was in a rural area. In fact I saw more Marinas and Avengers than Mk4s.

I prefer the IV, but think the raised door glass and flatter roof on the Cortina 80 :mrgreen: My first IV was a rough as arseholes 1.6L (VGN655R) which I GRP'd and plopped up before 2 litres of ICI Permobel in Ventian red. 11 years old and it was shagged. But with Capri GL wide sports steels, black Ghia velour interior and 3 spoke Capri wheel, I was a serious executive.I had two good V's; a German built 1.6L in HAB and a Cork built 1.6L. Dagenham ones were just rubbish. South Africa built a few saloons as well as the P100 and they were just disgustingly bad. 5 years and they were SCRAP.[/code]

Opposite for me, I mostly like pre-lifted cars. New look Maxis, Itals, Alpines and Amabassadors (amongst others) looked fugging awful I reckon.I did like the All-agg though, the Mk3 with it's erm 'noticeable' colours like bright yellow were ace.Had a few Mk4 and Mk5 Tinas over the years and pretty much liked them equally but would prefer a Mk4 now.