Austin Maxi

keef

6 hours ago, adw1977 said:

I've never seen a Maxi with the AUSTIN lettering on the bonnet combined with the later grille.  Presumably a replacement grille.

I never actually noticed that! Good spot!

11 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

Has ULK got smaller wheels, or is the gas pumped up higher than usual? It seems to have a different stance

It's an M reg, so no Gas. ;)

Probably low profile tyres.

20 hours ago, keef said:

ULK 789M - 1972 Austin Maxi 1750

That does look really good.

Illustrates well how fatter/sportier wheels giving a sportier stance can turn the Maxi into quite a beefy looking car . That has a real Mini Cooper or 1275GT look about it somehow.

A GT version of the Maxi would have been very easy to produce.

1 hour ago, ETCHY said:

That does look really good.

Illustrates well how fatter/sportier wheels giving a sportier stance can turn the Maxi into quite a beefy looking car . That has a real Mini Cooper or 1275GT look about it somehow.

A GT version of the Maxi would have been very easy to produce.

Yes, but you've got to remember this was BL so it wouldn't have got beefy alloys especially Minilites , more likely;

image.jpeg.8c3bda9ee332ff99f70fb8c1126291f2.jpeg

In fact Sporty Allegros and Marinas probably give us an idea of what a Maxi GT would have looked like image.jpeg.8c882a9e2b82af3df2a2b25413c38a03.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.a2bcc72019e35c1e1b30bd127d1785f7.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e33e7cc1398f2b912d8b4a01e2221344.jpeg

Safe to expect a vinyl roof, a stripe of some sort and maybe a different style of grille . It would never have been big wheels, 120 bhp high back bucket seats

image.jpeg

10 hours ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

Yes, but you've got to remember this was BL so it wouldn't have got beefy alloys especially Minilites , more likely;

image.jpeg.8c3bda9ee332ff99f70fb8c1126291f2.jpeg

In fact Sporty Allegros and Marinas probably give us an idea of what a Maxi GT would have looked like image.jpeg.8c882a9e2b82af3df2a2b25413c38a03.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.a2bcc72019e35c1e1b30bd127d1785f7.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e33e7cc1398f2b912d8b4a01e2221344.jpeg

Safe to expect a vinyl roof, a stripe of some sort and maybe a different style of grille . It would never have been big wheels, 120 bhp high back bucket seats

image.jpeg

To be honest (& it probably is sad I know) but I rather like the BL sporty versions, they're just so 70's looking.. A Maxi with a vinyl roof, TC type wheels (or a similar style to any the "sporty" Allegro's had), coachline etc would look good IMO.. However it is just my opinion :)

If ever there was a reason to buy a Maxi (or any other hydrolastic car), it's this pump.

It is sooooo cool & somehow very eccentric & British.  No fancy electric compressor shite, just a hand pumped little tin box that looks like a cross between a smash potato robot & a biscuit tin -  absolutely superb !

33 minutes ago, keef said:

83955160_10156669647181319_1019597963028 

JAL 320V

✗ Untaxed

Tax due: 
27 February 1993
Incorrect tax status?

MOT

No details held by DVLA
Incorrect MOT status?

just a heads up I notice you seem to be copying directly from the DVLA website and it leads to big red and green bars being copied across etc

if you want to prevent that when pasting, using your keyboard press Control Shift and V at the same time and it will past the text in plain text like so:

JAL 320V
✗ Untaxed
Tax due: 
27 February 1993
Incorrect tax status?
MOT
No details held by DVLA
Incorrect MOT status?

see much more space efficient etc and easier to read :) (if your on a Mac then its command shift and V)

if you cant do keyboard commands, then when you paste something the forum software should ask if you want it in plain text or not

image.png.c3dd433584b63b148ee1253d2e75cab2.png

and if you click the "paste as plain text instead" bit it will do that :) 

10 minutes ago, keef said:

Just using copy n paste.

Lots of things very odd on this website.

nah this rich text vs plain text thing ain't an autoshite specific thing

just modern computer tech being a PITA!, a lot of other forums (especially ones that have made the mistake of using the same forum software Auotoshite uses) have the same "issue"

its supposed to be a feature, that it more accurately preserves what your copying and pasting, but more often than not, it just causes a mess, or your post to suddenly be in a funky font thats bright red etc!

11 minutes ago, keef said:

I get this a lot of the time. No idea why or how to deal with it. :(

image.png

that usually happens if say someone has a link to a post, but that post has been deleted or such then obviously well as it says it cant locate the post as it no longer exists

if you have a copy of the link that causes that error, id be happy to look at it and try and tell you if its a case of the post has been nuked or if its down to something else

(it could also be that the link was to a post that made sense to the old forum software, but the new forum software does not know how to interpret it)

Don't get the rich txt on other sites, but it really doesn't bother me. I suppose it adds a bit of colour to the posts. LOL

The error happens everytime I get an email link notifying me of a new post, so it's not pointing to a deleted post. ;)

I used to get round it by copy and pasting the link into a new email on the site, then clicking on the embedded post that comes up fine that way.

Now I just chose the last post from notifications and go to the forum list and choose from the posts listed.

Edit: Here's the txt from the email I just received :-

Hi keef,

LightBulbFun has posted a comment on a topic, Austin Maxi

Go to this Post:
https://autoshite.com/topic/34927-austin-maxi/?do=findComment&comment=1970474

-- Autoshite

-----

You are receiving this email because you are following the Topic
'Austin Maxi'.
Prefer to stop receiving these emails? Unfollow (
https://autoshite.com/index.php?app=core&module=system&controller=notifications&do=unfollowFromEmail&follow_app=forums&follow_area=topic&follow_id=34927&gkey=3b011a3747812ae638a1093d7f96c17a-8b2bc4d299e057a4f59d7f22eb405723
) or Adjust your notification preferences (
https://autoshite.com/notifications/options/?type=new_comment )

Autoshite
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, keef said:

Edit: Here's the txt from the email I just received :-

Hi keef,

LightBulbFun has posted a comment on a topic, Austin Maxi

Go to this Post:
https://autoshite.com/topic/34927-austin-maxi/?do=findComment&comment=1970474

-- Autoshite

-----

You are receiving this email because you are following the Topic
'Austin Maxi'.
Prefer to stop receiving these emails? Unfollow (
https://autoshite.com/index.php?app=core&module=system&controller=notifications&do=unfollowFromEmail&follow_app=forums&follow_area=topic&follow_id=34927&gkey=3b011a3747812ae638a1093d7f96c17a-8b2bc4d299e057a4f59d7f22eb405723
) or Adjust your notification preferences (
https://autoshite.com/notifications/options/?type=new_comment )

Autoshite

ah thats interesting, somewhere along the line the ampersand symbol in the URL gets broken notice it says "&"

the URL is supposed to be: https://autoshite.com/topic/34927-austin-maxi/?do=findComment&comment=1970474

see how it works now :) 

the question is, are the URLs getting broken by the forum software or by something on your end (say your email client or such like)