E is for... exiting the fleet.

cms206

• 1 month later...

The Carina has been here for over a month. Time flies.

It continues to break without axtually breaking - latest victims are the NSR window and the tailgate wiper - but otherwise it continues to do 36mpg in relative comfort, with heat, space and a really rather good OEM radio cassette setup. It is surprisingly good fun to press on with, it's nippy when it needs to be and it's really a piece of piss to park anywhere, partly because it's so dull people don't even look at it, but also because it's smaller than a current generation Astra estate in EVERY external dimension.

I entered a couple of roffles recently; the second I had to pull out of because of reasons not relating to cars as such, but as roffle time came on the first I genuinely didn't want to win. I actually like the Carina. It is economical, capable, comfortable and I don't honestly think I've found a car that fits me as a person and where my life is as the minute better than the Aleutian Blue beauty* parked on the drive outside my house right now.

I have been driving since I was seventeen years and three months old. I am about to turn 32. I have had many cars over the years, so I recently sat down with a scribblestick and worked out where the Carina lies on the list.

This had two surprising outcomes; one, the Carina really is my first Japanese car - I've had an R8 but they don't count - and two, where the same Carina lies on on that list.

It's taken nearly fifteen years to get here, but it appears that the answer to life, the universe and everything is actually as the late Douglas Adams predicted.

Ladies and gentlemen, the Toyota Carina E 1.6GS; or as I like to refer to it, number 42.bc7357be2f4ce081afca95cbf88ccece.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

the shamen back in the 90s were singing about the carina as Es were supposed to be good.

Nope. They seem to like Hondas: (at least I think so.. Is that an accord fastback?)

post-3568-0-84773200-1548452870_thumb.png

Also.. well bought. Very well bought! Given the state of the fleet here at Talbot Towers, a reliable boring estate car would be *Very* welcome.

• 2 months later...

Time stands still for no car... and it looks like time is up for this one.

On Saturday I purchased no.43, as a direct replacement for the Carina. No.43 will be the newest car on fleet.

About three hours ago on ebay, I won no.44. It is now the oldest car on the fleet by less than two months.

I've not bought a car in fucking AGES and then done two in a week again...

Time stands still for no car... and it looks like time is up for this one.

On Saturday I purchased no.43, as a direct replacement for the Carina. No.43 will be the newest car on fleet.

About three hours ago on ebay, I won no.44. It is now the oldest car on the fleet by less than two months.

I've not bought a car in fucking AGES and then done two in a week again...

43 avensis estate or a newer E :D

I was second in line for the council estate when it came up for grabs from Sam Glover and you took that from me as well!

Yeah... sorry about that too :)

It's out the back of the workshop at work just now needing a steering rack... I'll maybe get round to testing that over the next six months or so for when Council Estate 2 runs out of test.

Seeing as my unplanned Volvo purchase was blown out the water by two other shiters bidding on it, this was the actual planned Carina replacement; 2.0i Zetec, 42k on the clock and full Ford service history, along with two keys, dealer plates, dealer stickers, the lot.

It needs sills, which I should hopefully have next week for it then I can fetch it up the road from Kilmarnock.793a07270e2c184514a935ef428a5001.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk