1951 Pontiac Chieftain

PhilA

All things considered it looks like both the cars have escaped surprisingly lightly given how severe the storm was in your area.

Really hope getting the house sorted out doesn't take too much.  Trying to get anything dried out around there without working AC must be nigh on impossible given the humidity.

The extremes of weather over there are downright terrifying.  I'll never forget seeing the damage left behind by a tornado that had passed through Iowa City when I was visiting my husband for the first time back in 2006.  One of the main things which I remember seeing was what looked to be a utility pole having gone in through one side of an apartment building and out through the other side.  Three or four floors up.  I was sure I'd taken a photograph of that but I'll be damned if I can find it.  Several buildings had been similarly impaled by random bits of timber, but that one particularly stood out.  It had been a month or so since the even when I was there, but there was still plenty of damage visible, the odd car still on its roof etc. 

Definitely puts our grumbling about the weather in the UK into perspective!

Looking at the state of a lot of the wood, it's got a lot of stress fractures.

Don't think there's going to be a garage there for a while.

That was all tornado. Did a bunch of damage as it came through, but it's always rather precise. The tree next to the garage is untouched. The one by the fence is uprooted.

Phil

16 minutes ago, somewhatfoolish said:

Sadface about the cars and the shed, but they look salvageable and sheds can be replaced. You and yours are ok, that's the main thing. Presumably a "Wizard of Oz" style tornado bunker would end up a tornado plunge pool quite quickly?

Yup, digging down liberates water quite quickly.

• 2 weeks later...

20210922_175223.thumb.jpg.e671e52da37c4a81d7ee99e9ed2c08d4.jpg

Ran the car yesterday, thumped the hood and most of the dent popped out.

Tried it with the roof but the headliner prevents good access. I've been suggested to try dry ice, rubbed around the dent to cause the metal to contract and pull the dent out. Only place that sold the stuff locally was destroyed by the storm so I'll have to work on that one.

Phil

Crumbs, only just caught up on this.  From that aerial photo it looks like the weather did its best to pick its way through the gardens and avoid the houses which is some relief.  I'm amazed that the cars appear to be relatively unscathed and relieved you and yours are safe.

2 hours ago, STUNO said:

Is the house responding to treatment and liveable now ?

I have heard the opposite re dents, put hot water on then apply  a suction cup but not tried either of course.

I wish. We just got the adjuster visit, so now we can start trying to find people to come in and clean the house up and make it livable.

I would do it myself but when it comes to houses and mold, I want that paper trail showing that yes, damage from water. Yes, professionally cleaned and certified. 

Long process

Phil

• 1 month later...

A month passes.

20211023_151032.thumb.jpg.0974e039fe45df16c7c32ab6e21407e7.jpg

Tidy-up continues as and when we're home. New roof going on tomorrow hopefully which then means we can do the insides of the house. Car remains parked up there.

But that's a good thing, right? The orange Challenger is gone, in place of the Pontiac going. Already miss the 392 but that's life.

20211017_122051.thumb.jpg.3183dca3e35da99764046618f4c1e0b2.jpg

Been keeping the rest of my time either working or walking the dogs.

20211018_112650.thumb.jpg.67162dea616a66215f490a9f267f69a9.jpg

Though, the dogs oft try to walk me. 

Middle of November we move out of this place, which is a shame as I like the neighborhood. We're moving back down towards the beach so instead there's going to be sand everywhere. 

I had wanted to bring the Pontiac here, but that was vetoed. Would like to cruise along the beach, even if I missed the car show last month.

Phil

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
1 hour ago, AnthonyG said:

Did the ‘65 Fury survive? It looked like it managed to hold the garage roof fairly well from the September pic - maybe all the Bondo acted as strengthening? 

I think so. I haven't extricated it from the garage yet.

That'll be in the upcoming few months.

Phil

Had a little while today so ran the car up to warm on fast idle.

20220324_155951.thumb.jpg.f75cd1b20a89194f972a322c3aa68d9e.jpg

Got nice and warm, though the thermostat seems to be a bit sticky because it was running cool.

20220324_160030.thumb.jpg.667d6fa87cc97cd3863ebd1a8a0a0573.jpg

Leaned on the air cleaner while reaching over the engine and the revs went up- upon closer inspection I'm missing 2 of the screws that hold the carburetor together ... no idea where they went but they need replacement. And thread lock, evidently. That'll be why it was running rough, then.

Phil